• Effective immediately we will be deleting, without notice, any negative threads or posts that deal with the use of encryption and streaming of scanner audio.

We've noticed a huge increase in rants and negative posts that revolve around agencies going to encryption due to the broadcasting of scanner audio on the internet. It's now worn out and continues to be the same recycled rants. These rants hijack the threads and derail the conversation. They no longer have a place anywhere on this forum other than in the designated threads in the Rants forum in the Tavern.

If you violate these guidelines your post will be deleted without notice and an infraction will be issued. We are not against discussion of this issue. You just need to do it in the right place. For example:
    https://forums.radioreference.com/rants/224104-official-thread-live-audio-feeds-scanners-wait-encryption.html

The Snooping Goes Beyond Phone Calls

Status
Not open for further replies.

Radio1114

Macomb Monitor Great articles.I think RR should nominate you as our up to date news man .Great Job Thanks

hoser147

No suprise there they probably been doing it longer than we all know, good article though. I believe that the ACLU is in court today in reference this crap hope they win...........hoser147

safetyobc

Yep, I too vote for Macomb as resident Anchorman. :D

I enjoy the articles that are posted. I try to read all of them. They are always good articles. Mabye you should try your hand as a professional journalist?

kb5udf

Good articles and SSDD

Back when I first started using internet forums and bullentin boards
(then in a text only format called USENET), in about 1989, quite a few
people were confident that the govt. was sifting through all of the messages
on an automated basis. So, people would append lists of 'offensive' or
supposed trigger words in their signature files, to tag onto the ends of all
of their posts. Words like racial slurs, "bomb", "middle east", "terroist", "palestinian," etc.

The hope was to make the govt. spys waste resources analyzing unimportant posts.

safetyobc

kb5udf said:
Back when I first started using internet forums and bullentin boards
(then in a text only format called USENET), in about 1989, quite a few
people were confident that the govt. was sifting through all of the messages
on an automated basis. So, people would append lists of 'offensive' or
supposed trigger words in their signature files, to tag onto the ends of all
of their posts. Words like racial slurs, "bomb", "middle east", "terroist", "palestinian," etc.

The hope was to make the govt. spys waste resources analyzing unimportant posts.

eeewwwww, you were just spyed upon for posting that! :D

MacombMonitor

Ah gee...thanks guys! :)

I know many have criticized me for non-radio related subjects, and more than a few have expressed they're not concerned with some of these issues. However, if you agree with them, or not, I think it's important to be aware of the numerous, and major changes in the way our Government does business, and how it might impact your lives, either now, or later.

Some have also accused me of being anti-government, and nothing could be further from the truth. If I was anti-government, I would even be taking the time to see what they're up to. Many of the Government activities taking place are giving me an uncomfortable feeling, and keeping me awake at night, but I realize many of them are necessary. But there is a fine line between what is necessary, and what is abuse of power. In a Government that is for the people, and by the people, it is our duty as citizens to keep things in check.

With all the major changes taking place, it's vitally important for American citizens to start thinking for themselves again, rather than just accept everything they see on TV. Then when election time comes, we'll all be more motivated to get out and vote!

Last edited:

datainmotion

Premium Subscriber
MacombMonitor said:
Then when election time comes, we'll all be more motivated to get out and vote!
Huh? Vote for what? Does anyone really think that all of these questionable acts (real or perceived) will change with a new administration or one from a different party?
Don't be so naive everyone. The intelligence apparatus will grind on doing its own thing long after we're gone. Don't waste your idealism on this one - it's not going to change.

And BTW this is by no means a reflection on Bill, as I too enjoy his news posts and respect his opinion (all ribbing aside). I just think message boards in general waste alot of bandwidth discussing political issues without any real action. Everyone can talk, few can affect real change.

Let the flaming begin.

Last edited:

MacombMonitor

datainmotion said:
Huh? Vote for what? Does anyone really think that all of these questionable acts (real or perceived) will change with a new administration or one from a different party?
Don't be so naive everyone. The intelligence apparatus will grind on doing its own thing long after we're gone. Don't waste your idealism on this one - it's not going to change.

And BTW this is by no means a reflection on Bill, as I too enjoy his news posts and respect his opinion (all ribbing aside). I just think message boards in general waste alot of bandwidth discussing political issues without any real action. Everyone can talk, few can affect real change.

Let the flaming begin.
No offense taken. Your remarks are very valid. The wife always tells me I should be in politics so I could influence change. :roll: I know that isn't going to happen!

Voting can help to some extent. You don't want to just give up and leave it to others do something about it, because you'll wake up one day, not liking your life very much, and wondering how it ever got that way! Even if you can't change what's going on in the country, and Government, you can change your habits, and life style, so your impacted as little as possible by what goes on around you.

Last edited:

datainmotion

Premium Subscriber
I concur with your comments wholeheartedly. I myself am not one to complain when things aren't the way "I think" they should be (not that you are), rather I make changes, as you said, to affect me and mine. I "pick my fights" so to speak.

My bigger thing is the people who are going "to solve the world's problems" on RRs message boards.:wink:

Last edited:

MacombMonitor

datainmotion said:
I concur with your comments wholeheartedly. I myself am not one to complain when things aren't the way "I think" they should be (not that you are), rather I make changes, as you said, to affect me and mine. I "pick my fights" so to speak.
I questioned authority all my life. I respect authority, and I am a law abiding citizen, but that doesn't mean I can't question if what they are doing is right, or wrong. As much as I hate to admit it, I learned something from lawyers too! There are ways to get around most any obstacle if you are creative and think things out. Sometimes you need to walk a fine line between whats legal, and what you feel you have to do. But as long as you keep yourself informed, and stay in tune with your surroundings, you'll be a survivor! Cool heads prevail!

RayK

This is only the tip of the iceberg ,remember this is YOUR tax money at work- if you want to
get educated check out these web sites:
http://www.aclu.org (ACLU)
http://www.eff.org/ (Electronic Frontier Foundation)
http://www.ccr-ny.org/v2/home.asp (Center For Constitutional Rights)

If you think "what's the big deal" read your history books about WWII ,and don't think it
can't happen here! And debate is ok ,the internet was designed to educate people.
Many people in Europe also said "what's the big deal about Hilter,the world did find out,
almost too late.

Last edited:

jimyleg

Now NeuStar is seeking to profit from increased post-September 11 government pressure on telecoms to turn over data. Last year it acquired Fiducianet Inc., which helps phone company clients comply with "subpoenas, court orders, and law enforcement agency requests under electronic surveillance laws," according to a February, 2005, NeuStar press release. NeuStar says this part of its business accounts for less than 1% of total revenue. The company went public last June and reported 2005 revenue of $242.5 million.

But in the face of the uproar over the issue, others on Capitol Hill are pushing for more government data collection. House Judiciary Committee Chairman F. James Sensenbrenner (R-Wis.) is drafting legislation to require ISPs to amass information about users' Web-surfing habits to assist government investigations. Executives at companies that fail to comply could be subject to up to a year in prison.

Buying commercially collected data allows the government to dodge certain privacy rules. The Privacy Act of 1974 restricts how federal agencies may use such information and requires disclosure of what the government is doing with it. But the law applies only when the government is doing the data collecting.

The meat.
Theres plenty of money it. They have a man on the inside who's for it. It's like the wild west of privacy invasion, now this company is seeking more revenue post 9/11.

jimyleg

MacombMonitor said:
I questioned authority all my life. I respect authority, and I am a law abiding citizen, but that doesn't mean I can't question if what they are doing is right, or wrong. As much as I hate to admit it, I learned something from lawyers too! There are ways to get around most any obstacle if you are creative and think things out. Sometimes you need to walk a fine line between whats legal, and what you feel you have to do. But as long as you keep yourself informed, and stay in tune with your surroundings, you'll be a survivor! Cool heads prevail!
Nothing is more true than the words "Absolute Power Corrupts absolutely"

It is our duty to protect our rights and civil liberties. Now SIDE STEPPING the fourth is so wrong I can't begin to critique that.. Fact is they know what they are doing is shady and un honerable but the motives are good and the reasons are many.

People say that guns don't kill people, it's poeple that kill people. Well
More and more we see things happen that have happend before somwhere else and this sais it all.

One time I was walking up to a friends apartment building and smiled at a few young adults in a car with 4 cop cars around it, and I kept on walking. Two of cops that were their jumped in thier car and made a Bealine for me in the front door area. I was buzzing my friend. They quickly told me to turn around and face the wall. I said " No I'm Not Doing That". They came at me and I told them both that if they laid one hand on me that I was going to the station to file a complaint. They stopped right there and asked me for my I.D. wich I presented in a timely manner. They asked if they could search my Burbon, I said yes which I regret. I gave the key to them and said "don't f it up". When I returned to the vehicle I noticed every thing was strewna bout like a german shepherd was left alone for a day in there. I proceeded to the police station and filed my complaint, the 2 were supposedly reprimanded in some way which I doubt.

So I'll quote mr. T and say to you all be good, and If your cool then be cool. But don't let any one make your life suck becouse they can...:p

MacombMonitor

I get the feeling that Halliburton will be making money on harvesting ones personal data! :twisted:

N

N_Jay

MacombMonitor said:

So?

What is with the general paranoia going around.

The government has always had the ability to do phone taps.
With each level of complexity they have had to up the technology to maintain the ability.
Now with VoIP it is getting a bit more difficult.
What is the big deal??

Just like the government "buying data"? The data is out there, it is already NOT PRIVATE, so whats the issue?
It is as if people are complaining because the government uses the "Phone Book"!:roll:

Status
Not open for further replies.