• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

The state of CB in 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

PrimeNumber

{pats shoulders} Yep, still here.
{looks across room} Yep, CB's still there, works.
{checks band conditions} Fair-ish. I'll take it.

fringe

I hope its around for awhile,
I just bought my first one a couple days ago.
I will say, so far there is a little more traffic than I thought.
I was expecting 40 channels of nothing. Figured it may be a handy thing to have anyway.

TheSpaceMan

A lot of former avid CBers are now reaching retirement age, and find that they now have lots of free time on their hands. They still have their "CB stuff" stashed away in the attic or garage, so why not hook it up and see if they can revive their old hobby?

Unit243

I'm 51 and getting back into it, it's winter now so I'll have to wait to put an antenna up in the spring , I just have a "wire" antenna in the one room right now.

73's ... Mark.

Unit243

I remember as a kid putting up an antenna in a blizzard! Those were the days.

Yeah haha , I was telling my fiance the same story last night.

14 years old on Christmas day , my Mom comes up to my room and tells me my antenna is laying in the neigbours back yard , I look outside and here is my 3 element beam crashed out , we had a big blizzard going on that day and I knew my Grandparents were coming over that day with my first cb radio so I had no choice but to go out fix things up and swap out the broken mast pipe , staighten the antenna out and had it back up in no time !!

I was crazy back then , I didnt care what the weather was when it came to putting antennas up , I put up the Shooting star in the winter too but it wasnt blowing out ,... nowadays I wouldnt do that...................................................................................................... I dont think " snickers"

IdleMonitor

Premium Subscriber
Living just a few miles away from the TransCanada highway in Eastern Ontario. I don't often hear much from the truckers on a daily basis from Ch. 19. But a few local construction companies around the area use them still. More so in the summer from the dump trucks but occasionally in winter during contract snow removals with the town. A few locals are out there but when I mean a few I mean about 3 or 4 thats about it. I just put my setup back into action this past summer. I will tend to get on more though when the skip is rolling.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S3 Using Tapatalk 4

TheSpaceMan

Yeah haha , I was telling my fiance the same story last night.

14 years old on Christmas day , my Mom comes up to my room and tells me my antenna is laying in the neigbours back yard , I look outside and here is my 3 element beam crashed out , we had a big blizzard going on that day and I knew my Grandparents were coming over that day with my first cb radio so I had no choice but to go out fix things up and swap out the broken mast pipe , staighten the antenna out and had it back up in no time !!

I was crazy back then , I didnt care what the weather was when it came to putting antennas up , I put up the Shooting star in the winter too but it wasnt blowing out ,... nowadays I wouldnt do that...................................................................................................... I dont think " snickers"
My dad's old Magnum antenna fell down about 20 times between 1967 and 2002. Fixed it and put it back up so many times it looked like a wiggly line! The darn thing still worked after 35 years.

I am 66, was in cb back in the late 60's and early 70's and both the wife and I loved it. I recently wanted to see what was going on in the cb world, so I lput in 2 new bases, using cobra 29's with appropriate power supply and 2 pt 99 antennas. In nw Louisiana, the cb hobby is really picking up, I have enjoyed it to the point I have put a new cobra 25 in the car. The only thing I hate is the big guys on 6 that bleed all over the spectrum.

Fast1eddie

Citizens Band intrigued this old man back in the 70's, and launched me into a electronics-communications career. Ran around with a Lafayette Dyna Com 23, had fun with it. I hope to find one in good condition sometime for my collection.

Am outside of Pittsburgh, thinking of locating a rig to play with.

louiethegoat

Premium Subscriber
Hello from NYC ! Around here you can still hear the regulars who have been on for years and some new characters talking. I have been listening for quite some time in the morning and evenings. I will be buying an A-99 for the home soon since I want to jaw with a few of the people upstate and in CT who are looking to chat. I occasionally drive with my new Uniden SSB990 and a Wilson 1000 in my vehicle to try and chat with other drivers or bases.

kny2xb

I still have my President [not Uniden] Honest Abe AM mobile [circa 1980 or so]

I'm thinking of getting a DC cord, a 12V power supply,
building a home-brew base antenna and getting back into 11 meters

I still have my 1970s vintage Turner +3B base mic wired for the Cobra 139 that I used to have
It would be nice if it works on the President

From the reviews that I've read & watched, I think that I'll start saving my $$$ for the new Uniden SSB rig

cbrambo2233

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
CB RADIO

{pats shoulders} Yep, still here.
{looks across room} Yep, CB's still there, works.
{checks band conditions} Fair-ish. I'll take it.

i'm back on the cb radio for good for another 11 years

Status
Not open for further replies.