The state of Tennessee Advanced Communications Network (TACN)

zachgallop

I am not sure. KCSO already has all their radios fully loaded with encryption and the channels. KFD as well. Actually BCSO Primary is not completely clear it is selectable. And recently it has been very heavy use of encryption. Dispatch policy is "
Encoding Communications The Communication Center has the ability to encrypt sensitive communications. Dispatchers will utilize the encryption feature on the radio system whenever requested to do so by a field unit. Dispatchers will also use encryption of sensitive communications whenever the safety and success of responding field units can be enhanced by reducing the opportunity for persons listening on scanners to take advantage of emergency transmissions." Field units have their discretion. Dispatch routinely "forgets" to turn it off for long periods of time. I talked to the old director and it stopped for awhile but it seems more intentional by one now. The officers do not realize they have it on at times. Spangler I feel people will be able to work with to reverse encryption. There will definitely be way more inclined to reverse the decision. KPD might be getting a new chief, so we maybe able to work with them. KPD has not been confirmed on encryption and I am pretty sure they do not even have their new radios yet. UTPD I do not believe is using encryption and neither is School Division. KFD has been going back and forth on the amount of encryption. I am not sure on the encryption anymore. They go back and fourth so much anymore there is no telling. I do not know what to believe.

zachgallop

Has anybody heard TWRA Region 4 Dispatch lately? I have got TWRA R4 Law Tac 1 a few times recently Phase I encrypted. Region 3 has been using Law Tac for Dispatch for awhile and it's Phase II encrypted. Region 3 has always loved encryption use. I am afraid region 4 went that way now.

zachgallop

KPD and KCSO will be encrypted, they announced at News Conference today at 911. KFD will have one encrypted channel. The others are still in transition. KCSO will have all radios ready by August, apparently I got false info in the past that they were done from some KCSO Officers. The old system will be no longer by November and everybody is supposed to be on it . Here is news article links: https://www.knoxnews.com/story/news...igital-radio-system-up-and-running/594298002/ , and Knox Co. Emergency Communications District to make radio system announcement .

Last edited:

SCPD

QRT
So officially ALL KPD, KCSO, and the MED TG will be full E.

All law enforcement TG is going to be encrypted. KFD is going to have 1 encrypted Channel for private patient info. Normal dispatch and tac are going to be in the clear.

zachgallop

All law enforcement TG is going to be encrypted. KFD is going to have 1 encrypted Channel for private patient info. Normal dispatch and tac are going to be in the clear.

Only KPD and KCSO at this point. KFD is supposed to be Admin channel. Some other agencies will have like one encrypted talkgroup but not the majority of comms. From what I have been told Spangler wants to work and let the public discuss with him regarding encryption. It may change. Spangler, if I had not said before he is not like the current administration he is down to earth and will listen to the publics opinion taking into consideration. (And not likely)

zachgallop

Now the news report says KCSO will encrypt but they are not sure yet, the news updated the article. KCSO has been programming their radios since Feb ith encryption on the channels. They know I think, they just do not want pushback. They were the main pushers of encryption. But they may have OTAR now. KPD is going to be fully. E-911 has online CAD in the works now with 1 hour delay. Here is the knox news link : https://www.knoxnews.com/story/news...lice-scanner-e-911-emergency-radio/595013002/ .

Last edited:

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Premium Subscriber
As I stated, KPD, KCSO are going away from you hearing them. And the lawyers are going to make them do the EMS encode to the ER TG. But until the HEAR and MED system is taken down, you will still hear that. Once they have fully switched the system so that ALL EMS agencies are routed through TACN to do EMS to ER talk, then that will be that. Until they have an MED NET set up for ALL EMS to be ale to use TACN the VHF HEAR, and UHF MED networks will still be active. Currently TACN still does NOT have an statewide Hospital MED NET system in place like pretty much ALL the other Statewide Systems have. Kinda surprising as that is one of the FIRST things that is usually set up, alongside systemwide MA/Interops.

Yeah Really

As I stated, KPD, KCSO are going away from you hearing them. And the lawyers are going to make them do the EMS encode to the ER TG. But until the HEAR and MED system is taken down, you will still hear that. Once they have fully switched the system so that ALL EMS agencies are routed through TACN to do EMS to ER talk, then that will be that. Until they have an MED NET set up for ALL EMS to be ale to use TACN the VHF HEAR, and UHF MED networks will still be active. Currently TACN still does NOT have an statewide Hospital MED NET system in place like pretty much ALL the other Statewide Systems have. Kinda surprising as that is one of the FIRST things that is usually set up, alongside systemwide MA/Interops.

Yeah tell me boutit milf... We have very large amounts of calls for strokes, drug overdoses, difficulties breathing, and change of mental stati, so the medical channels are busy. And they call 'em for a lot of BS reasons too! Some things that have happened to me too and I NEVER called them. Not ONCE. Stub your toe and are non diabetic? Find an ice pack!

zachgallop

EMS in Knox in not changing over. The only AMR Ambulance that use it will be the 900'S (Special Events Ambulance) for UT Football and so on. Rural Metro Fire is not changing over as well. They may some day change over because Blount AMR has TACN radio available to EMS crews. I am pretty sure I was told Karns is changing over full time now. From what I have been told their is no Med Talkgroups on the system except Med 10 which I believe is connection to Med Link.

INDY72

Premium Subscriber
Fully read all the info 911 put out. AMR and its child RM IS going TACN. Everyone that is dispatched via Knox County is going to TACN. Completion by November.

rkm1215

Premium Subscriber
"Officials with Rural/Metro Fire Department and AMR ambulance services said they are not moving to the new digital system. Their communications will remain open."

https://www.knoxnews.com/story/news...lice-scanner-e-911-emergency-radio/595013002/

Other articles may say different, but since Zach works with users of the system daily/weekly his info though subject to change is likely most accurate.

Sent from my SM-S727VL using Tapatalk

INDY72

Premium Subscriber
Conflict of data output by 2 media sources. Consider my info on this one off due to that.

zachgallop

They are a big help in trying to get this all figured out! Rural Metro EMS is supposedly getting a new repeater for Med 102 that will put out its full amount of power. The reason AMR will not go to TACN I have been told is, what if they loose the EMS contract. They have wasted a lot of money. From what I have been told unless you are contracted by the county for E911 service you can not stay on TACN. Is that True? Also Lifeguard and other who routinely get on their channels to respond to calls would not have access to TACN. Rescue has a few TACN radios for the dive team.

INDY72

Premium Subscriber
AMR If they own Rural Metro, which they do.... If RM Fire or EMS gets on, which they eventually will... Then they will have access as RM is pretty much a permanent fixture of the First Responder system for Knox County. Eventually TACN will set up an Hospital MED Net statewide, and ANY EMS agency will have access to that, though they may just set up patches from HEAR and MED stations so that those that do not want to get TACN radios can still have that access to the system. Some Municipalities/Counties already have this set up on their own TRSs, like Memphis/Shelby County, and Metro Nashville/Davidson County. Its also how it is done on VIPER, SAFE-T, LWIN , MSWIN, and AWIN (took them longer to set it up than most). And is the way we have it here in INDY on IDPS.

And as far as the contract thing goes... If AMR was to set up an MOU with TACN, and put the big bucks down they could get TACN radios for use Statewide. It all comes down to do they want to take the risk of buying all the gear, and then completely leave TN totally, potentially being stuck with a bunch of APXs they can not use. (Unless they also work in areas with systems those would work on..... Win win in most books, but it is an expensive prospect, so you might pay over a grand per ambulance ride instead of almost a grand. LOL)

Last edited by a moderator:

N2AL

And as far as the contract thing goes... If AMR was to set up an MOU with TACN, and put the big bucks down they could get TACN radios for use Statewide. It all comes down to do they want to take the risk of buying all the gear, and then completely leave TN totally, potentially being stuck with a bunch of APXs they can not use. (Unless they also work in areas with systems those would work on..... Win win in most books, but it is an expensive prospect, so you might pay over a grand per ambulance ride instead of almost a grand. LOL)

I do not readily foresee Rural Metro / AMR moving to the TACN Network. Their fire department in Knox County still uses Motorola Minitor pagers which would not work with TACN’s digital infrastructure. AMR’s EMS System could use statewide dispatching on TACN but it comes back down to money.

Priority EMS is making a hard push for Knox County’s EMS contract, and they are getting into Blount County as well. AMR had the Loudon County contract, but not the contracts with The City of Loudon and Lenoir City. Priority received those two city contracts and shut AMR out of all the city EMS calls, most importantly being convalescent homes. The county EMS calls for service outside city limits were not enough for AMR to earn a profit. AMR lost a lot of money and pulled out of Loudon County entirely, leaving Priority with both cities, and the county contracts.

This bit of information is useful as I go back to the issue of money. If AMR loses the Knox or Blount contracts they will have spent millions of dollars on Motorola’s TACN equipment. If they lose the contracts they lose further revenue and have to eat the cost of the new radio system. Even selling their TACN radio equipment to another EMS provider, they never would recoup all the money they lost. From discussions I had with a few of their employees, it seems unlikely AMR would spend all their money on an investment which may not turn a sizable profit. I will not believe they are moving to the TACN Network until I see APX’s in their trucks. We all have our own thoughts but we shall have to wait and see what transpires.