The state of Tennessee Advanced Communications Network (TACN)

zachgallop

So I saw some bad news on Knoxville Crime, that I got a screenshot of. So, John Messner said Knox County School Security Division has to encrypt now.Apparently, some agency had a hiccup programming the Education channels in their radios they programmed the channels like they were on the old plans. On the new plans apparently those two channels are supposed to be unencrypted. The channels that are now supposed to be fully encrypted is KX-ED-OPS1 Dispatch and KX-ED-OPS7 Emergency Tac, which I am guessing for school emergency radios. But anyway now those two channels are supposed to go encrypted because somebody messed up with programming. Here is an idea, how about whomever programs School Security radios set the radios to receive the encryption but not transmit the encryption. So that way they would not have to change their plans of being unencrypted and yet they Education radios could still receive the outside agency transmitting encryption. And if another agency messed up the setup they just setup up the radios for the same setup when they come in for radio updates, until everybody is no longer transmitting encryption on those channels. Would that work? Even if it does, I do not see it happening. Seems like Knox County is slowly cutting us off from more and more. Hopefully, once the new Sheriff comes in he will change KCSO from being fully encrypted and he said he is open for discussion & the idea of it. And I believe him.

Last edited:

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Premium Subscriber
In the radio codeplug, you have the option for the following: RX Secure/TX Clear, RX Clear/TX Secure, Fully Secure, all user electable (If programmed in as such), or it can get strapped Fully Secure locked in. The Knox County radio shop guys are going with strapping TGs Fully Secure with the KISS principle in mind. Lets make it as simple as possible so the end user dos not have to really think about anything on this radio. All he/she needs to know how to do is on/off, change between 2 or 3 TGs, push PTT to talk, let go to hear, press the bright colored button if your in trouble to go in Emergency Mode. Press and hold til it beeps to get out of Emergency. If you ever need to interop with multiple agencies, you will get told what zone and ch to go to...

I do hope your right about the new Head Sheriff,... Unfortunately, I believe KPD is gone for good.

zachgallop

John told me those two channels are supposed to be ADP Strapped now. Use to they were to be TX//RX Clear.School Security programs their own radios. I think KFD does too.And I I think KCSO and KPD has metro or somebody do it because it cost money, waste of money in my opinion. Those two channels were supposed to be open till this week when somebody screwed up the programming. Hopefully they can resolve the issue without encrypting it because of a mistake. So I guess that idea would not work. Makes me kinda irritated that this happend.

Last edited:

INDY72

Premium Subscriber
Yeah, unless they run OTAP, they will have to touch the radios again to turn off the setting in the CPS. And I am willing to bet KCSO and KPD use AES 256 to stay in the good books grant wise. Schools would of course stay with the free ADP that is standard part of almost every radio on the market now. Its all up to if they are willing to take all the radios back in to get touched again, or just say screw it and run with Secure On.

zachgallop

Yeah, unless they run OTAP, they will have to touch the radios again to turn off the setting in the CPS. And I am willing to bet KCSO and KPD use AES 256 to stay in the good books grant wise. Schools would of course stay with the free ADP that is standard part of almost every radio on the market now. Its all up to if they are willing to take all the radios back in to get touched again, or just say screw it and run with Secure On.

I have not heard of OTAR or OTAP. Wondering myself if they got it. Does anybody know?From what I heard most of radios are running adp only a little AES.

INDY72

Premium Subscriber
Keep an eye out for TG 1 thru like TG 9... The low single digits are OTAR, OTAP, and Dynamic Regroup on most of these ASTRO-25 very large wide area systems.

zachgallop

KFD seems to have all their Analog talkgroups patched to 10620. I will try to post a link to the recordings later. This must be KX-FD-DISPATCH because 10621 is KX-FD-TAC1. 10620 is Phase II TDMA. Half those talkgroups are wrong in the database because most of them do not even exsist as names. Most talkgroups I am getting is Phase II encrypted. There is one more unencrypted talkgroup received 10501 withTesting.

Last edited:
ATDMA

KFD seems to have all their Analog talkgroups patched to 10620. I will try to post a link to the recordings later. This must be KX-FD-DISPATCH because 10621 is KX-FD-TAC1. 10620 is Phase II TDMA. Half those talkgroups are wrong in the database because most of them do not even exsist as names. Most talkgroups I am getting is Phase II encrypted. There is one more unencrypted talkgroup received 10501 withTesting.

Zach not to get too far off topic here but I was looking over my modem traffic and it shows a ATDMA system being used in there and it jumps between 515 and 750 Mhz per transmission as part of DOCSIS 2.0 pretty nifty....

zachgallop

Talkgroup 47310 UT Lifestar 02 was calling Base on greentop and they responded with copy. I think it was related the Vehicle accident in GSMNP today near where I was. Does Lifestar have talkgroups on TACN now? I have heard Med-Link 2 (their dispatch) on TN DOH talkgroups before.I thought I heard him mention air to ground in their traffic. Maybe that is the talkgroup name but Lifestar 02 sounded like it was patched. I do not think actual Lifestar aircraft has TACN access at this time?

Last edited:

INDY72

Premium Subscriber
Eventually ALL medical helos will have full TACN access, and remember, all of UT is now about to be on TACN. Also in future, all Medical Facilities will have an Medical Net/Trauma Com system on TACN Maybe expanded DOH, or set up separate. Its pretty much standard to do this on Statewide Systems now. Lifestar has access already to the Mutual Aids, and Landing Zone TGs.

zachgallop

Think I have found Knox County School Security Division Talkgroups (Not 100% sure):
KX-ED OPS1 TYPE: SEEMS TO BE DISPATCH TGID:10610 PHASE: TDMA STATUS: SEEMS TO BE STRAPPED (ADP)
KX-ED OPS2 TYPE: UNKNOWN TGID:10611 PHASE: TDMA STATUS: CLEAR
KX-ED OPS3 TYPE: UNKNOWN TGID: 10612 PHASE: TDMA STATUS: CLEAR
KX-ED OPS4 TYPE: UNKNOWN TGID:10613 PHASE: TDMA STATUS: CLEAR
KX-ED OPS5 TYPE: UNKNOWN TGID: 10614 PHASE: TDMA STATUS: CLEAR
KX-ED OPS6 TYPE: UNKNOWN TGID: 10615 PHASE: TDMA STATUS: CLEAR
KX-ED OPS7 TYPE: SEEMS TO BE EMERGENCY TAC TGID: 10616 PHASE: TDMA STATUS: SEEMS TO BE STRAPPED (ADP)

Not 100% sure but seems to fit the lineup on Knox County School Security Division lineup. I did not get anybody speaking on the talkgroups, just key ups. 10610 Constantly has keyups with encryption. Just heard encryption on 1 and 7 like School Security setup is supposedly suppose to be. Thinking about giving up the hobby for the most part with all this encryption showing up. Mainly I only listen to KPD, KCSO, and School Security. Along with uhf analog and one vhf agencies outside of Knox, but they are not busy. Was really looking forward to having my School Security feed on Zello continue to be up. Guess if I decide to stay, there is always the school repeaters and maybe I could get a few of the simplex from my feed location. But some agency messed that up (figures).If I figure out the person who did it, I promise I will blast their name or names everywhere (If I find evidence it was on purpose).It may have been an accident, but I find it highly hard to believe that a qualified radio tech who mess up programming off the original plans instead of the new ones (and that one agency). They might have told Knox County Schools that, when it was really planned. Then again it might have very well been an accident and we all make mistakes. No other agency is really worth monitoring to me. When somebody sent me that from Knoxville Crime, it HIGHLY irritated me. I know it is not worth fighting this because the radios are going to be issued soon because their Academy (if not already) is almost done and the other officers will probably get them at inservice before school starts.

Last edited:
Radios

So I saw some bad news on Knoxville Crime, that I got a screenshot of. So, John Messner said Knox County School Security Division has to encrypt now.Apparently, some agency had a hiccup programming the Education channels in their radios they programmed the channels like they were on the old plans. On the new plans apparently those two channels are supposed to be unencrypted. The channels that are now supposed to be fully encrypted is KX-ED-OPS1 Dispatch and KX-ED-OPS7 Emergency Tac, which I am guessing for school emergency radios. But anyway now those two channels are supposed to go encrypted because somebody messed up with programming. Here is an idea, how about whomever programs School Security radios set the radios to receive the encryption but not transmit the encryption. So that way they would not have to change their plans of being unencrypted and yet they Education radios could still receive the outside agency transmitting encryption. And if another agency messed up the setup they just setup up the radios for the same setup when they come in for radio updates, until everybody is no longer transmitting encryption on those channels. Would that work? Even if it does, I do not see it happening. Seems like Knox County is slowly cutting us off from more and more. Hopefully, once the new Sheriff comes in he will change KCSO from being fully encrypted and he said he is open for discussion & the idea of it. And I believe him.

Don't go giving up on us now Zach you have done a standup job here!

zachgallop

Don't go giving up on us now Zach you have done a standup job here!

Sorry this is nearing end of it for me for the most part . Some of my radios will still be around and some in the closet. I might carry a TYT MD2017 around with me in the car and a bag but it will not be on that often. It is mostly in case I am stuck in traffic or to listen to my schools or other school frequencies in case anything goes on. I keep a lot of my friends at other schools in the loop of what is going on whether I hear something on there or off. It is both a form of information and entertainment for me. I have gotten to know a make so many connections with people thru my scanner and the hobby.Will never regret meeting them, awesome people.As well as to keep me busy when I am bored. It is a great hobby. After this year, I probably would have not even listened to school security a lot as this is my Senior Year unless somebody asked. Like it has became so much a part of my identity over the years. Letting people know what goes on and it being my interest. Some people use it very irresponsibly. I admit I have used information I get irresponsibly a few times whether on the radio (like posting something I should not) or over hearing information. But you better believe the majority of time if I do not think it is right to tell or told not to, I keep my mouth shut. Some people just do not understand using the information irresponsibly is the whole reason for encryption. To bad the bad has to ruin for the good. And I get why agencies feel they needed to be encrypted. I think every agency should have access to encryption but not for main ops. Like honestly I have became addicted to it. I am a very nosey person. But once they flip that switch they go off and in the closet. It will be hard to leave them at home but their is no use trying to pick thru info and listening to phase II encryption hopping something pokes thru. Hopefully it will come back with the new sheriff for KCSO. Hopefully school security finds a solution. But KPD who knows.But I do not see a need to listen to KFD, UTPD, Karns FD, Thp or sports events that School Security is working. Might come on it say I am at a schools event or football is going at Neyland Stadium.Just not much goes on, of interest to me on those channels.Neither does School Security most of the time having anything interesting going and it is just nice to be informed of what’s going on in my school or others. It is usually only semi interesting when 911 comes up on Education A. Also I really like listening to to the School Emergency radio checks on Education C. Maybe I could post a recording of it sometime. Other times it is very entertaining, Like one night I remember a goat being let loose in Powell High school as a Senior Prank this year. With 413 (who I know) has “one goat 10-15”. �� I have some recordings of incidents from Knox County Schools on my YouTube: https://m.youtube.com/user/zachgallop/videos. Have not uploaded them all yet because I am usually to busy to post the stuff. A few time, I have heard situations that were very scary and alarming. 4 situations that I know of.Hopefully one day they will come back up. But at this point I have lost hope. I have had my hopes up so long that Schools were going to be still open and somebody messes it up. Really made me mad. I came up with that idea of having the radios receive encryption but not transmit the encryption and see the what are possibly OPS1 & OPS7 stilll encrypted. I am not even sure it would work but again I have hoped to death. Getting that text of that post was very disappointing. I understand School Security are just doing what they have been told. Emailed to death and even petitioned times over the years. I am fighting a loosing battle.Well anyway sorry being off topic. Until the switchover I will continue to try to keep everybody updated on what I can tell.

Last edited:

zachgallop

Effective as of approx. 8:52 AM this morning KFD has changed to TACN. So far the dispatch and TAC 1 & 2 are correct. KX-FD TAC3 is 10623. Here is some audio: https://s3.amazonaws.com/zello.sharedmessages/sym7mTGKD9Gg . Analog is still simulcasting I think. My scanner is having distortion. Plus I think I have a loose connector because I hace not getting as good as signal as my other scanners even with the RS800Mhz antenna. It just drops the signal unlike my others, last time it did this my connector came loose & broke. I got a SMA connector one now, so hopefully no more issues once I send both back. It all depends on how much encryption.

Last edited:
Good Job

Sorry this is nearing end of it for me for the most part . Some of my radios will still be around and some in the closet. I might carry a TYT MD2017 around with me in the car and a bag but it will not be on that often. It is mostly in case I am stuck in traffic or to listen to my schools or other school frequencies in case anything goes on. I keep a lot of my friends at other schools in the loop of what is going on whether I hear something on there or off. It is both a form of information and entertainment for me. I have gotten to know a make so many connections with people thru my scanner and the hobby.Will never regret meeting them, awesome people.As well as to keep me busy when I am bored. It is a great hobby. After this year, I probably would have not even listened to school security a lot as this is my Senior Year unless somebody asked. Like it has became so much a part of my identity over the years. Letting people know what goes on and it being my interest. Some people use it very irresponsibly. I admit I have used information I get irresponsibly a few times whether on the radio (like posting something I should not) or over hearing information. But you better believe the majority of time if I do not think it is right to tell or told not to, I keep my mouth shut. Some people just do not understand using the information irresponsibly is the whole reason for encryption. To bad the bad has to ruin for the good. And I get why agencies feel they needed to be encrypted. I think every agency should have access to encryption but not for main ops. Like honestly I have became addicted to it. I am a very nosey person. But once they flip that switch they go off and in the closet. It will be hard to leave them at home but their is no use trying to pick thru info and listening to phase II encryption hopping something pokes thru. Hopefully it will come back with the new sheriff for KCSO. Hopefully school security finds a solution. But KPD who knows.But I do not see a need to listen to KFD, UTPD, Karns FD, Thp or sports events that School Security is working. Might come on it say I am at a schools event or football is going at Neyland Stadium.Just not much goes on, of interest to me on those channels.Neither does School Security most of the time having anything interesting going and it is just nice to be informed of what’s going on in my school or others. It is usually only semi interesting when 911 comes up on Education A. Also I really like listening to to the School Emergency radio checks on Education C. Maybe I could post a recording of it sometime. Other times it is very entertaining, Like one night I remember a goat being let loose in Powell High school as a Senior Prank this year. With 413 (who I know) has “one goat 10-15”. �� I have some recordings of incidents from Knox County Schools on my YouTube: https://m.youtube.com/user/zachgallop/videos. Have not uploaded them all yet because I am usually to busy to post the stuff. A few time, I have heard situations that were very scary and alarming. 4 situations that I know of.Hopefully one day they will come back up. But at this point I have lost hope. I have had my hopes up so long that Schools were going to be still open and somebody messes it up. Really made me mad. I came up with that idea of having the radios receive encryption but not transmit the encryption and see the what are possibly OPS1 & OPS7 stilll encrypted. I am not even sure it would work but again I have hoped to death. Getting that text of that post was very disappointing. I understand School Security are just doing what they have been told. Emailed to death and even petitioned times over the years. I am fighting a loosing battle.Well anyway sorry being off topic. Until the switchover I will continue to try to keep everybody updated on what I can tell.

Thanks for all the hard work though.

zachgallop

So the Education talkgroups seem to be correct. Have submitted those today.KFD ones on August 1, have not been completed. But I see somebody put them in the database. Must have been another submission.The only thing for the KFD talkgroups are they are Phase II TDMA not Phase I. Will figure out the actual usage at a later date of 2-6 for Education.KX-OPS2 was busy with school zone traffic according to somebody else. Was not monitoring those talkgroups. Was monitoring the old because KCSO called school dispatch on it last night.Getting KX-OPS1-DISPATCH popping up. It is phase II encrypted.2-6 are Phase II in the clear. 7 is encrypted. It is Emergency TAC for school emergency radios.Officers have APX6000. They really like them and I do not think they even know they are encrypted.My bet is KPD is next. KCSO I think will be last after a few others changeover. Really hopping Schools were open, I hope too much!

Last edited:

INDY72

Premium Subscriber
One of you folks is way off. If the FD ones are right, then your ED ones are wrong Zach. If your ED ones are right then you guys need to look a lot closer at what you say are the FD, as they can not be the same TGs. Zach says FD is TDMA, other guy swears FD is FDMA.... Anyone else in the Knox area that can help us out here? And a word of warning, as I know of misinformation being put out here on purpose, even if it's to protect someone, if I find out you have submitted false data, I will put your submissions in the verify twice or three times category, and will not trust any data from you. As well as let the rest of the admin staff know to be very careful with any data you submit. I will protect this database to the best of my abilities. We have worked hard to make sure it is as up to date and accurate as we can, those kind of games will NOT be tolerated. TY in advance for understanding.

rkm1215

Premium Subscriber
10620 is FDMA. 10625 and 10626 are TDMA. I have 10625 with both slots (PT0 and PT1 on my bcd436hp). Try to get some more soon. Once I'm home I'll confirm with DB.

Sent from my SM-S727VL using Tapatalk