The state of Tennessee Advanced Communications Network (TACN)

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Premium Subscriber
Should be at least 3, maybe 4 TG's for transit. Main, Maintenance, Handicap Services AKA handi lift van type, and supervisory.

zachgallop

Pigeon Forge Transit Department only consists of Trolleys, I believe. Should be the only user. The radio upgrade was apart of the Improve Act Grant.

davewhall29

Premium Subscriber
Big front page article in today's Knoxville News Sentinel about how bad the radio coverage is inside schools due to "weaker" radio signals. The problem arose when there wasd a reported shooting at a high school. It's on their website, but I can't get access to the site to post a link. I'm out of free articles. Just thought I'd share.

zachgallop

Big front page article in today's Knoxville News Sentinel about how bad the radio coverage is inside schools due to "weaker" radio signals. The problem arose when there wasd a reported shooting at a high school. It's on their website, but I can't get access to the site to post a link. I'm out of free articles. Just thought I'd share.
Knox County Schools has been aware of the issues for awhile. Including that particular schools. They have had other incidents at that school including with a student setting things in the lobby on fire, both county dispatch and school dispatch could not copy their traffic. They just never fixed it, they pretty much ignored the issues at all the school. There is a quite a few schools where the radios do not work at all. I would estimate at least 5 with major issues. They are all spread out. There is some in west Knox close together. They conducted radio tests in schools before the switchover to the new system and with the old. They have been aware of this a long time, they are just now choosing to address it. WVLT has an article on it as well: False alarm leads to police radio review in Knox County Schools . There is also an issue at a certain school within Loudon County really close to one of the TACN repeaters.

Last edited:

zachgallop

Are they not migrating to TACN also? I thought I saw a knox schools tg on a radio the other day...
Knox County Schools Security Division is the only Knox county school user of TACN, they changed over before KPD and KCSO. They are the primary law enforcement and security for the schools. They are deputized by KCSO. Have their own emergency response vehicles and dispatch. Knox 911 monitors their talkgroup and talks on it almost daily. They do have additional reserved channels. Each school has a emergency radio on channel 7 “KX-ED ER TRAFF”. Transportation will remain Mototurbo 800 MHz and good thing because they have a heavy amount of radio traffic. In-Schools comms are primarily uhf, they were trying to move the remaining vhf to uhf. Transportation Dispatch has a radio to talk to school security (unit 104 is the primary one). Some additional people have radios like the chief operating officer of schools (unit 101) to monitor school division

Last edited:

ButchGone

I see that for THP District 2, the database shows Dispatch 1 as "T", for TDMA Phase 2. They are actually using FDMA (Phase 1 P25) so folks without Phase 2 scanners can still receive them.
..BG

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Premium Subscriber
All THP is going to full time TDMA use. The encryption, that we are not fully sure of now since the PIO that was contacted said they are not adding any more encryption. There are still several others involved with TACN that still are saying yes, all THP will be strapped encryption once the codeplugs are all done for TDMA. The TDMA is not just for THP, TACN is now moving forwards with converting all users to TDMA as soon as they are able. NO new users will be allowed FDMA except on mutual aid. And one more time: TACN operates in DUAL DYNAMIC MODE which allows both FDMA and TDMA use. Over the next couple of years though, you will see less and less FDMA use.

zachgallop

All THP is going to full time TDMA use. The encryption, that we are not fully sure of now since the PIO that was contacted said they are not adding any more encryption. There are still several others involved with TACN that still are saying yes, all THP will be strapped encryption once the codeplugs are all done for TDMA. The TDMA is not just for THP, TACN is now moving forwards with converting all users to TDMA as soon as they are able. NO new users will be allowed FDMA except on mutual aid. And one more time: TACN operates in DUAL DYNAMIC MODE which allows both FDMA and TDMA use. Over the next couple of years though, you will see less and less FDMA use.
In my opinion, the way he worded the email it could go either way. He said, "At the current time we do not have a schedule for THP to encrypt their Dispatch Communications." His use of "schedule" rather than "plans", has kept me thinking that he may have been saying in a way they do not have a schedule for it, but they may very well be planning to do so or at least discussing it. He did indicate it is an option and could be implemented at a future date.

Last edited:

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
The five new MTEMC TACN sites are now active, networked and peered as of this morning:

Williamson, Franklin (Site 66) 855.1625-Control, 855.9375-Alternate, Also: 851.7750, 853.1750, 858.2875
Williamson, Thompson Station (Site 67) 854.9125-Control
Rutherford, Readyville (Site 68) 855.4125-Control
Wilson, Watertown (Site 69) 855.6875-Control
Cannon, Woodbury (Site 70) 854.8125-Control

Peers to and from both existing and new TACN sites across the MTEMC service area.

From initial observations with the new Franklin site, most radios are being denied, however there was some TWRA traffic active earlier.

Will submit once things stabilize a bit and the further active frequencies are confirmed across each new site.

I submitted Site 69 Watertown (Wilson). Picked it up this weekend, got the CC/AC, NAC, Neighbor List and submitted it.

mike