The state of Tennessee Advanced Communications Network (TACN)

ccfd7031

Was the radio traffic encrypted or in clear?

Sorry for the delay, I thought I had replied. Pro96Com was just showing the one unit affiliating to the site on that talkgroup and did not have any channel grants. FWIW, the only encryption I encouter from this area is TWRA unless I switch to the Mt Roosevelt site and start getting Roane co and others in ETN that are encrypted.

Also, I have not caught any THP encryption yet but everything else I've encoutered has been ADP.

zac

Premium Subscriber
Can someone private message me. I am planning on loading up tacn info in my scanner so i can listen on way to the smokies and was wanting some pointers. Anyone with good info let me know.

Remington12G

GØT AES?
Can someone private message me. I am planning on loading up tacn info in my scanner so i can listen on way to the smokies and was wanting some pointers. Anyone with good info let me know.
I sent you a private message via conversations

Reactions: zac

jpryor

City of LaVergne (Rutherford County) Police and Fire are live on TACN Antioch site as of this afternoon. Primary dispatch for Police and Fire is TMDA Phase 2 clear, most of the rest is looking like TDMA Phase 2 encrypted. Radio IDs 4100xxx and Talk Group IDs between 48161 through 48179. I have submitted the most identifiable info to the database. The 155.1600 MHz VHF fire dispatch patch remains during fire dispatching. The TACN Smyrna site is not yet showing the additional LaVergne licensed frequencies active, and that site is not yet carrying any LaVergne activity.

MattBNA

City of LaVergne (Rutherford County) Police and Fire are live on TACN Antioch site as of this afternoon. Primary dispatch for Police and Fire is TMDA Phase 2 clear, most of the rest is looking like TDMA Phase 2 encrypted. Radio IDs 4100xxx and Talk Group IDs between 48161 through 48179. I have submitted the most identifiable info to the database. The 155.1600 MHz VHF fire dispatch patch remains during fire dispatching. The TACN Smyrna site is not yet showing the additional LaVergne licensed frequencies active, and that site is not yet carrying any LaVergne activity.

Have been listening to La Vergne PD/FD from the Antioch/Cane Ridge site (roughly four miles from me) ever since they switched over to TACN with no issues...until today. Could still hear them last night, but as of today I am yet to see a transmission on any of their new TACN talkgroups for some reason. The only talkgroups that are currently listed on the screen that my Pi/SDR running OP25 has heard from over the past few hours are other regular TACN users of that site that I can already identify as being THP, TDOT, MTEMC, TWRA, etc. If they went encrypted, it would still list the TG, I just wouldn't hear anything - but it's not even showing them as transmitting from this site today.

Chance that they have been moved from the Cane Ridge tower to the Smyrna tower behind Stonecrest Hospital?

Matt

--

Last edited:

MattBNA

If the new Smyrna site is online they should be able to use both for full coverage

The Smyrna TACN site has existed for years and has always been the home of all Town of Smyrna TACN transmissions, as well as yet another site for many other TACN users (THP, TDOT, TWRA, etc).

The Antioch site was already covering the entire city just fine on their new TACN setup, and that state tower is on the same hill that is home to the tower that they used for many years when they were on Metro's system (which also covered the entire city fine). The Smyrna site should cover the entire city as well, and it makes sense that they would switch to that site if they want the ability to talk to Smyrna (who isn't on the Antioch site and has no reason to be). One thing is for sure, though... La Vergne is not transmitting from the Antioch site today.

Guess I'm going to head up in the attic in a little bit and turn the yagi from the Cane Ridge hill toward the Smyrna hill and see what happens.

--

MattBNA

...and now, after several hours today of nothing from them on the Antioch site - they're back. Haven't touched or changed a thing on this end in weeks, so it wasn't me. Very strange.

As a side note - I am currently hearing LFD personnel performing some radio testing and it sounds like they're working with dispatch to make sure their radios are on the proper channels ("TACN Fire" specifically mentioned by one of them). Perhaps they were somewhere else briefly today and now they're back? <shrug>

Jeff did some monitoring and still hasn't seen anything pertaining to La Vergne on the Smyrna TACN site, so that rules that out again for the time being.

Matt

--

motohead10

Premium Subscriber
...and now, after several hours today of nothing from them on the Antioch site - they're back. Haven't touched or changed a thing on this end in weeks, so it wasn't me. Very strange.

As a side note - I am currently hearing LFD personnel performing some radio testing and it sounds like they're working with dispatch to make sure their radios are on the proper channels ("TACN Fire" specifically mentioned by one of them). Perhaps they were somewhere else briefly today and now they're back? <shrug>

Jeff did some monitoring and still hasn't seen anything pertaining to La Vergne on the Smyrna TACN site, so that rules that out again for the time being.

Matt

--
I think TACN went down for a bit yesterday because of some issues at the master site it seems to be good now as ive been hearing everyone on my scanner since last night.

MattBNA

I think TACN went down for a bit yesterday because of some issues at the master site it seems to be good now as ive been hearing everyone on my scanner since last night.

During those few hours the only talkgroups I wasn't hearing on the Antioch tower were from La Vergne PD/FD... THP, TDOT, TWRA, Smyrna PD/FD, etc. were still operating as normal from that tower and others, so TACN was still working.

--

motohead10

Premium Subscriber
During those few hours the only talkgroups I wasn't hearing on the Antioch tower were from La Vergne PD/FD... THP, TDOT, TWRA, Smyrna PD/FD, etc. were still operating as normal from that tower and others, so TACN was still working.

--
They were in site trunking 3 times that day, sites will function normal but won't talk across any other zone 1 sites until connectivity is restored, subscribers will remain on the site last affiliated to unless a nearby wide area site is found. It went up and down a few times.

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
They were in site trunking 3 times that day, sites will function normal but won't talk across any other zone 1 sites until connectivity is restored, subscribers will remain on the site last affiliated to unless a nearby wide area site is found. It went up and down a few times.
Definitely sounding like they were doing system work getting things ready for the new site.