The state of the Bay Area Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

LIScanner101

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Hello all:

I'm getting closer to accepting the fact that I have to get with the program and buy a digital scanner. Now, my main concern is no longer whether I should buy one or not, but whether I should get one that is P2 capable or not.

Does anybody see a definite need for a P2 scanner for the Bay Area?

Thanks for any help.

- John

Stealthguy05

Premium Subscriber
If you're going to make an investment on a Digital scanner, I would make the choice for Phase 2. Santa Clara County, San Mateo County, and soon to be EBRCS are phase 2 TDMA

LIScanner101

Hmmm, interesting. Maybe I'm missing something (wouldn't be the time) but according to RR the Santa Clara County Fire system is a regular 800MHz Type II analog system.

Also, San Mateo County uses a digital UHF system, but the RRDB doesn't specify whether it's Phase I or Phase II.

Is there some additional data I'm missing?

Last edited:

kma371

QRT
You talking about the City of Santa Clara system.

He's talking about the Silicon Valley Regional Communication System.

LIScanner101

Not according to what he wrote, which was

"Santa Clara County, San Mateo County, and soon to be EBRCS are phase 2 TDMA".

This looks like he is saying all three of these entities are digital.

Last edited:

SCPD

QRT
Not according to what he wrote, which was

"Santa Clara County, San Mateo County, and soon to be EBRCS are phase 2 TDMA".

San Mateo County DIGITAL
Ebrcs DIGITAL
and Silicon Valley Regional Communications System (SVRCS) DIGITAL.
Why do you feel the NEED to Stir up a STINK in every Forum you Post?
You are out of the area.......... AND Yes I know you Travel to the Bay are Several Times in a Year.

JamesO

All this pain for $500!

Buy a decent used 396XT for around $300.

This will keep you going until you decide it is time to actually spend $500 on a P2 capable scanner and it may allow you to move over to the Whistler Forum!

SCPD

QRT
All this pain for $500!

Buy a decent used 396XT for around $300.

This will keep you going until you decide it is time to actually spend $500 on a P2 capable scanner and it may allow you to move over to the Whistler Forum!

AMEN BROTHER

Thank you

FYI: I'm, not his Brother but sharing the same Pain.........................................

LIScanner101

sfdf,

Go back and look at exactly what was written in post #2.

In that post, the poster said San Mateo County is using a Phase II system.

According to the RRDB, there is a digital UHF system there.

The RRDB doesn't say whether it is Phase I or Phase II.

If you happen to know which one it is, great.

If you think my asking someone to clarify an unclear post is "raising a stink" then please don't respond to my posts unless your posts make sense without clarification after clarification.

SCPD

QRT
According to the RRDB, there is a digital UHF system there.
YES DIGITAL
YOU SAID IT WAS NOT.
Please then do not say Digital or not. (That means there are not.)
THEN if your a stickler for PROPER WORDS.................
Digital Phase 1 or 2 or analog..............................

SCPD

QRT
Hmmm, interesting. Maybe I'm missing something (wouldn't be the time) ?
Or the LAST

Please do not come "Piss" stir up a Stink over here unless you live here for an expanded Time.
Please try to be a bit more humble when People living here try to help you.

Last edited:

LIScanner101

sfdf,

You're splitting hairs and ignoring the bigger picture here, which was my ORIGINAL question about whether I should get a Phase I or Phase II scanner. That was all I asked. Stealthguy05's reply was nonsensical and I asked for clarification, then you jumped in and did nothing to lend any clarity.

Please stay out of this unless you can answer the ORIGINAL question.

SCPD

QRT
sfdf,

You're splitting hairs and ignoring the bigger picture here, which was my ORIGINAL question about whether I should get a Phase I or Phase II scanner. That was all I asked. Stealthguy05's reply was nonsensical and I asked for clarification, then you jumped in and did nothing to lend any clarity.

Please stay out of this unless you can answer the ORIGINAL question.

NO it does Matter............................................................
Period....................................................................
IF you can afford to buy Phase 1 or 2 get both ........ PERIOD...................
IF not get it now Phase 2 or WAIT for VAPORWARE and spare us.
I'm done with you as I do not want to be banned from posting on this List as you where.........
Everyone else sorry to put you through this.

WayneH

Forums Veteran
Super Moderator
To an outsider it's easy to confuse what he said, which is what's been trying to be explained to you but you jump to being confrontational too easily. This isn't the place for that as you've seen where that gets you.

Regardless of the agency, the point is two of the newer P25 systems are/will soon be using Phase II and one will eventually go Phase II (when is arguable since it's not soon). You just don't flip a switch and go P2.

San Mateo: San Mateo County 700 MHz Trunking System, Redwood City, California - Scanner Frequencies
His "Santa Clara": Silicon Valley Regional Communications System (SVRCS) Trunking System, , California - Scanner Frequencies
EBRCS: East Bay Regional Communications System (EBRCS) Trunking System, Multiple, California - Scanner Frequencies

So the question is...who are you concerned with listening to? That will determine whether the answer is to go with a P2 scanner or not. I think waiting a year is fine before buying a P2 scanner.

LIScanner101

To an outsider it's easy to confuse what he said, which is what's been trying to be explained to you but you jump to being confrontational too easily. This isn't the place for that as you've seen where that gets you.

Regardless of the agency, the point is two of the newer P25 systems are/will soon be using Phase II and one will eventually go Phase II (when is arguable since it's not soon). You just don't flip a switch and go P2.

San Mateo: San Mateo County 700 MHz Trunking System, Redwood City, California - Scanner Frequencies
His "Santa Clara": Silicon Valley Regional Communications System (SVRCS) Trunking System, , California - Scanner Frequencies
EBRCS: East Bay Regional Communications System (EBRCS) Trunking System, Multiple, California - Scanner Frequencies

So the question is...who are you concerned with listening to? That will determine whether the answer is to go with a P2 scanner or not. I think waiting a year is fine before buying a P2 scanner.

WayneH,

I appreciate your technical input, but I take exception to the seemingly “default” position on this site lately that ANYONE who even ATTEMPTS to question a post is immediately looked down upon as being confrontational. There are so many posts on this site that are unclear and very often people will ask the post owner for clarification. That almost always results in the bashing of the “questioner”. If you look at Post #2 here, it does NOT answer my ORIGINAL question, which is the ONLY reason I asked for clarification, which resulted in the immediate pile-on by two other members. That was unwarranted, and ALL of this mess could have been avoided if 1) the first answer to my question made sense and/or 2) if the “clarifications” to Stealthguy05’s post were clear – but none of that happened.

ANYWAY – Another member on here sent me a very informative and CLEAR PM explaining the Bay Area digital situation. I thanked him for his CLEAR and informative message. I have what I need now.

Stealthguy05

Premium Subscriber
Santa Clara Sherrif channel 2, Digital p1.
SVRCS (Santa Clara & Sunnyvale PW only as of typing) Digital p2.
San Mateo County 700mhz, Digital dynamic p1 & p2
EBRCS,Digital1 eventually p2.

LIScanner101

Santa Clara Sherrif channel 2, Digital p1.
SVRCS (Santa Clara & Sunnyvale PW only as of typing) Digital p2.
San Mateo County 700mhz, Digital dynamic p1 & p2
EBRCS,Digital1 eventually p2.

Thank you VERY much for this information! It looks like I am going to invest in a P2 scanner. Again, thanks.

shoub

Premium Subscriber
WayneH,

I appreciate your technical input, but I take exception to the seemingly “default” position on this site lately that ANYONE who even ATTEMPTS to question a post is immediately looked down upon as being confrontational. There are so many posts on this site that are unclear and very often people will ask the post owner for clarification. That almost always results in the bashing of the “questioner”. If you look at Post #2 here, it does NOT answer my ORIGINAL question, which is the ONLY reason I asked for clarification, which resulted in the immediate pile-on by two other members. That was unwarranted, and ALL of this mess could have been avoided if 1) the first answer to my question made sense and/or 2) if the “clarifications” to Stealthguy05’s post were clear – but none of that happened.

ANYWAY – Another member on here sent me a very informative and CLEAR PM explaining the Bay Area digital situation. I thanked him for his CLEAR and informative message. I have what I need now.

LIScanner, I live in San Mateo County and it would be great if you are able to share the pm that you received regarding what is coming down the pike for P2 in the county. Looking to possibly upgrading my BCDXLT scanner. Thanks

shoub

Premium Subscriber
Quick correction to last post. I currently have a BCD396T and am thinking about updating to the 396XLT. Looking for information and feedback about upgrade based on where San Mateo and neighboring counties will be migrating to.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.