The times thay are a changing

Status
Not open for further replies.

W5KVV

Well, after decades of using uhf/vhf my local police dept. has decided to go digital. :(

Im a novice when it comes to digital or 800mhz due to the fact everything down here is still lowband.

What do you guys reccomend for a digital scanner? I dont need anything fancy. I'll only be using it to monitor the local PD.

Im looking at the older Uniden BC796D. I can pick them up cheap & they're built along the same case as the BCT-8. I have an extra BCT-8 faceplate to go in my console.

I will be replacing my long trusted Uniden BC780xlt with the digital unit.

Looking to stay with Uniden products, & it will be mounted in my mobile unit.

Thanks guys.

W2PMX

If we knew which PD it was, it would be easier to give you a sensible answer. County/city, or the link to the RR database page with their info would let us know what you need.

W5KVV

Im still unaware of what system they're going to & best I can tell the RR is still showing them on 155.715mhz. Im sure it will be whatever is the cheapest. The city is broke.

I plan on talking to my radio man to see if he has any info about the change over. The city has been trying to keep this a hush hush deal.

It's McAlester PD, in McAlester, Oklahoma if you guys can find anything on it. Im still looking for info on the change over, but I was told by a good friend with the PD that it's going to happen soon. As in by the first of the year.

Thanks !

10-2

P.S.

Im replacing my long trusted Uniden 560xlt, not the 780xlt I had stated in my original post. Its been a long day...

Last edited:

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
Im still unaware of what system they're going to & best I can tell the RR is still showing them on 155.715mhz. Im sure it will be whatever is the cheapest. The city is broke.

I plan on talking to my radio man to see if he has any info about the change over. The city has been trying to keep this a hush hush deal.

It's McAlester PD, in McAlester, Oklahoma if you guys can find anything on it. Im still looking for info on the change over, but I was told by a good friend with the PD that it's going to happen soon. As in by the first of the year.

Thanks !

10-2

P.S.

Im replacing my long trusted Uniden 560xlt, not the 780xlt I had stated in my original post. Its been a long day...

According to the FCC DB McAlester has not applied for any new licenses or narrow banding under the city name. Even if they are broke they may be able to receive a grant through homeland security.

Pittsburg County has recently been licensed for narrow band on the county VHF frequencies. http://wireless2.fcc.gov/UlsApp/Uls...p?freqType=E&licKey=1181888&pageNumToReturn=1

Could McAlester be switching to county dispatch for police like they do for fire? They could simply update their current radios, if compatible. This would save them a lot of money over purchasing a new system and save a little more by using the county's licensing and the possible elimination of their own dispatchers and dispatch center.

I wouldn't buy a digital scanner until you know for sure.

Last edited:

W5KVV

OHI063, thanks for that data. I looked all over the FCC website, but I get so lost & turned around on it.

I don't think they are going to use the county's radio. After work tonight I tracked down my buddy with the PD, he was running radar, so I pulled along side to chat.

He said the city did indeed buy $52k worth of new handheld radios & mobile radios. He said they have Total Radio Inc. out of Tulsa doing everything. That's all he knew.

I honestly hope this is all incorrect data, but i've been hearing it from multiple sources.

Im not buying a thing till 155.715 goes off the air, thats for sure !! ;)

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
OHI063, thanks for that data. I looked all over the FCC website, but I get so lost & turned around on it.

I don't think they are going to use the county's radio. After work tonight I tracked down my buddy with the PD, he was running radar, so I pulled along side to chat.

He said the city did indeed buy $52k worth of new handheld radios & mobile radios. He said they have Total Radio Inc. out of Tulsa doing everything. That's all he knew.

I honestly hope this is all incorrect data, but i've been hearing it from multiple sources.

Im not buying a thing till 155.715 goes off the air, thats for sure !! ;)

I don't know how large of a department they are but 52K doesn't buy much "radio" these days. It does makes sense though going with an existing LTR system, possibly http://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=2915 if within range.
...and you could monitor it with an analog trunk tracker (no digital needed).

Last edited:

W5KVV

Awsome, thanks for that link! This place has everything.

I say to hell with it, im gonna worry about it when it actually happens. I just cant see them spending that kind of coin on new radios when they cant pay the light bill & nothing is wrong with the current system other than operator error.

I hope this is all a big gas.

Thanks for all the help.

jonny290

Careful!

One day about eight years ago I heard digital squawking on my local PD's trunked system and figured "welp, there's the digital switch, i'm done".

Five years later I bought a scanner on the premise that they were still P25 and spent $500 on a 396. Turns out they shelved the P25 system due to terrible performance in our very hilly town, or something like that.

The 396 still ended up being a worthy purchase in the long run, as Arkansas State Police did indeed stick with P25.

Status
Not open for further replies.