The Uniden 536 memory card problem with it being turned off and deleted?

Akuriko

Friday Harbor,Washington , in the San Juan Islands
Hello i have a question what causes the memory card to get corrupted? i had a planned power outage last night but the memory card didnt get corrupted, what causes corrupttion on the memory card? i was worried my card got corrupted last night, so i turned the knob off and waited till the power came back on then i turned on the power on it and it loaded my play list and it was fine, for future reference what corrupts the memory card?

smithken

Premium Subscriber
If the scanner is writing to the card and the scanner suddenly loses power that will most likely corrupt the card.

Reactions: wtp

tvengr

Well Known Member
If the scanner is writing to the card and the scanner suddenly loses power that will most likely corrupt the card.
When recording, the card is constantly being written to. There is a greater chance of card corruption if you take a power hit. If recording is disabled, the card is written to only when you turn off the scanner. SD cards eventually wear out. The less writing to the card, the fewer problems you will have.

wtp

a quick look up...
According to HowStuffWorks, memory cells in micro SD cards can undergo up to 10,000 write-and-erase cycles before wearing out. Since 10,000 write cycles are the equivalent of writing and erasing the card's content daily for nearly 30 years, memory cards are generally long-lasting.

CommRX

Run your base units off a lawnmower battery topped off by a trickle charger. It will still work after a mains power loss, and prevent those pesky power grid glitches and card corruption during a write.

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
Unless you're recording, the scanner only accesses the SD card when you power up or power down.

Ubbe

The card will not get corrupt, it's only the file system that gets corrupt. You can easily repair the file structure in Windows as it usually tells you that it needs to fix it. Or you can just format the card and put the files back on it. SD cards have a guaranteed number of write cycles that will last at least 10 years of continuous audio recordings in a scanner. If you do not record audio continuously it will last longer than that, if it doesn't get a failure in its controller logic which usually isn't included in the guarantee.

/Ubbe

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
Hello i have a question what causes the memory card to get corrupted? i had a planned power outage last night but the memory card didnt get corrupted, what causes corrupttion on the memory card? i was worried my card got corrupted last night, so i turned the knob off and waited till the power came back on then i turned on the power on it and it loaded my play list and it was fine, for future reference what corrupts the memory card?
When you have your scanner in USB Mass Storage mode for writing to or reading from your scanner, be sure to properly remove the USB cable via Windows when you are done.

1685199589471.png