The Uniden Home Patrol - Fun, but there is a learning curve!

Status
Not open for further replies.

meplat

Premium Subscriber
I have several scanners, but as most of you know, many agencies have gone digital and are trunked. Over the past few years, the radio traffic has declined. As a result, I decided to buy a Home Patrol. For simplex and analog traffic, I continue to use my 2 meter in the car, a 2006 at home and a BC92XLT for general scanning, but finally bought the HP because of a recent antenna upgrade.

I live rurally, so the amount of radio traffic isn't nearly like living in the city, Regardless, you gotta keep up!

What I have discovered is that this radio has more of a learning curve than anything that I've used previously. Programming is a snap. Eliminating agencies that I do not wish to listen to is as much work as old fashioned single freq programming however! :) I also found out that I have to properly use the "avoid" feature. I avoided some freqs that I wanted to listen to because they were further down the submenu.

Jiminy Jillickers!

No complaints though. Tis the learning curve!! I noticed that just because a department is listed as "Ministry of Transport Ontario" does not mean that's who's talking! I've been listening to the OPP (police) all afternoon on a 'department of transport' freq. I guess having a trunking system means you can use any part of the available spectrum to get the job done.

What started this whole upgrade thing? I just put up a OCF wire, and will be putting a Diamond discone and an Arrow 2/440 J pole when the coax arrives. They are replacing some older equipment. One thing is for sure, I'm glad this is getting one before winter. I live in central Ontario.

Thanks for listening.

JamesO

Yep, the learning curve is steep and what really gets you when you least expect is are the Service Types and Range settings. Think of these as filters, they limit what you can hear.

When in doubt, turn on ALL Service Types and set the Range to Maximum, then start to whittle away what you do not want to listen to.

I am starting to like my Home Patrol 1 a bit more, I have the Extreme Upgrade and it has some useful and neat features. I am getting ready to travel about 2000 miles over 8 states in about a week, will have the GPS connected and will be running the unit on the road with me.

My RAM windshield mount makes the HP1 easier to see, hear and use. This makes for a good configuration. Hopefully I can get my remote head for the 996XT installed in Sept sometime?

dmg1969

I think the HP-1 is a fantastic scanner! I bought one and do not regret it one bit. I use mine mainly as a mobile, but do set it up as a base on the weekends. More and more around me is going digital and I didn't want to be left in the dark.

I honestly didn't think the learning curve was that bad. But maybe that's because I studied the easier to read manual for a few weeks before buying it.

I am hoping that Uniden decides to come out with an HP-2 (same form factor, but capable of P25 Phase 2). Nothing around me is Phase 2 yet, but PA is eventually going to replace their Broken (Open) Sky system with a Phase 2 P25 statewide system. That form factor is ideal for mobile applications in today's smaller vehicles.

Status
Not open for further replies.