the upcoming Airspy HF+

Status
Not open for further replies.

p1879

I must eat crow instead of turkey this week, but rather happily as it turns out. I made a nag about email some time back, but now I must admit I am pleased and humbled from the reply I got from Airspy US.

First, a severe case of NRA (new radio anxiety) has been reigning in my pea-brain for some time over the HF+ radio. It is very similar to when I got my first sophisticated radio, an R 71 Icom, back in the Eighties. I feel that the HF+ will be a big event in my radio enjoyment trajectory. So, in my eagerness, I sought to prod along-- in my inept way-- or at least milk out some more information on this most promising receiver. My email asking (May 3) about availability was answered in spades, along with another email from the announcement sub-group for Airspy, just last week to my great jubilation and excitement.

It was like closing in on a marathon finish, and then winning the lottery at the same time for me, as the prompt pre-order notification allowed me to be a lucky "winner" of the earlybird/special discount that was in-place for a brief time.

When my (pre) order went through, I was so ecstatic that on another thread I made a misleading statement . I did not communicate well that the "availability" I trumpeted was actually the opening of the pre-orders. People thought I implied the radios were ready for shipment, but I was just crowing about my pre-order being accepted. I was just too amped up, sorry.

So, all apologies to Airspy US, as your notification and return email surpassed any expectations I had! I know I will not be disappointed, and it seems like the exceptional offering from Airspy has stimulated at least one other SDR company to innovate their product line, somewhat. The world of SDR is getting even more interesting each day.

On that very note, it seems like the Spyserver software may be a tipping point in hurdling a great juggernaut of radio connectivity into being. Yes, there have been other methods for remote access, but it appears that the SpyServer is seeing very rapid adoption. The ability for listeners to access so many radios, as time goes on, is a big step toward planetary diversity reception, as well as for the extra-terrestrial signals many seek. Already we are seeing people siting sdr units in very low-noise areas, that enable people across the world to hear and see quality signals from afar. Some of this is not so new, but the pace is rapidly increasing now.

Maybe our hobby is being reborn or re-created. I do know that the technical challenges of using SDR's, has brought many of us into a new relationship with Computer Science, and stimulated novel new solutions for QRN and QRM, etc.

There are a lot of things, signal-wise, out there that are becoming accessible to people worldwide. I can't wait to access a radio receiver in the Andes for Tropical Band broadcasts.

Finally, widespread remote access is a real boon to elderly people who can't deal with outside antennas, or may be in assisted living where a pile of radio equipment, cables, and antennas are out of the question. With a laptop, someone can escape the drabness of bed confinement or other inevitable indignities, and have a window into a different world. Thanks AirSpy, you are doing a great job making people happy!

p1879

Flatliner

I have had no "NRA" for the HF+ at all. I have ordered one though I hope it will be good enough to keep so it may end up on ebay the day after it arrives.

The very narrow bandwidth of only 660KHz gives very little visual satisfaction, and the limited frequency range of no UHF, only some VHF and no 6m, means that it cannot replace even a £5 dongle for most frequencies. I think even the current Airspy kit works well enough for me.

I've ordered one, though I have no anxiety at all on this. I'm keen though to get the RSP1a and see how much of an improvement that is. I'm hoping for fewer spurious results, and that SATCOM will be usable finally.

Like I said, I took an HF+ but it is a niche within a niche. If it's not better than my Winradios, then expect to see one on ebay within a few weeks.

Last edited:

mbott

Premium Subscriber
I presume you got an email today from airspy_us@yahoo.com, just like I did, stating that they will be shipping Friday. That's great news!

Mike

Unfortunately, I did not. Mine will be on the proverbial "slow boat from China" when it does in fact ship.

:(

Thank goodness I have the IC-7300 to keep me busy.

--
Mike

p1879

I also got the notification from Airspy US. They have the boxes made already. I would be interested to know how many units are in the production run. I am confidant there will be some interesting buzz over the next month from enthusiasts.
p1879

mbott

Premium Subscriber
Was notified late this morning that mine has indeed shipped. So for now, it is inbound.

--
Mike

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
MBOTT: I'm guessing you have your Airspy HF+ by now. Will be interested to hear what you think about it once you've had some time to evaluate it.

Mine was shipped out yesterday (to Carrollton OH) -- It'll be here before end of day today. Unfortunately, due to buying Christmas presents for everyone else, I didn't have a chance to pick up a loop (Pixel or Wellbrook) in time. So I have no antenna (other than a 450 mhz yagi) to hook the Airspy HF+ too. Bummer.

I'll still plug it in and try it out, but I don't expect to hear anything until I get a proper antenna.

Mike

mbott

Premium Subscriber
MBOTT: I'm guessing you have your Airspy HF+ by now. Will be interested to hear what you think about it once you've had some time to evaluate it.

Actually, mine is going to be awhile. I did not pay for the upgraded shipping. Which just gives me a bit more time to understand the IC-7300 I picked up last month. Got some studying to do, also. :)

Attachments

• Postal.jpg
    Postal.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 370

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
Actually, mine is going to be awhile. I did not pay for the upgraded shipping. Which just gives me a bit more time to understand the IC-7300 I picked up last month. Got some studying to do, also. :)

Ok. I guess you really meant it when you talked about the slow boat. I figured that you had ordered from Airspy.US rather than Itead / Airspy.com. Not sure what the price differences are when ordering between the two, but I am one of those impatient people.

Like you though, I'll be delayed in testing it out. It might even be a couple months before I can really test it on HF, being that I have no antenna up for HF. I tried it out on VHF and HF with my 450 mhz yagi, and needless to say that was a pretty useless thing to do. The 450 mhz yagi nearly flatlines on VHF and is like not plugging in an antenna at all on HF, regardless of the receiver being used. So, I'm not sure why I was in any sort of hurry.

I'm probably going to buy a Wellbrook loop, but I want to wait for the ALA1530LNPro to be available, which won't be until at least February.

Enjoy your IC-7300. I'm sure there will be plenty of fun on that transceiver to keep you busy while you await the Airspy HF+.

mike

mbott

Premium Subscriber
You will enjoy the Wellbrook loop. My only knock is way the coax attaches to the antenna amplifier. I much prefer the Pixel's connection hanging off the bottom of the preamplifier. I alternate the RF Pro-1B and the ALA1530LNP and I've yet to discover where one has any significant advantage over the other. Eventually I will use the Wellbrook for some dxpeditions since it only requires 12v dc.

--
Mike

ab3a

Got Mine TODAY from Airspy.US

I'm working on a few makeshift antennas tomorrow. I am really looking forward to seeing and hearing what this thing can do on HF and MW.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
<snip>
I'm probably going to buy a Wellbrook loop, but I want to wait for the ALA1530LNPro to be available, which won't be until at least February.
</snip>
mike

Mike the W6LVP loop has now been out there for some time with many very favorable comments - and roughly 1/2 the price of a Pixel or Wellbrook

Check the Loops wiki for the link to that and their eHam reviews.

The other Mike

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
Mike the W6LVP loop has now been out there for some time with many very favorable comments - and roughly 1/2 the price of a Pixel or Wellbrook

Check the Loops wiki for the link to that and their eHam reviews.

The other Mike

Mike,

Thank you much for the info. I am checking it out now. I was interested in the Wellbrook because it had appeared to be less than the DXE loop. I hadn't realized that shipping it from UK to here was going to end up costing me nearly $100 more. Nothing saved there.

Mike

PS: I'm an impulse buyer. Reviews looked good. Cost looked good. W6LVP loop ordered.

Last edited:

mbott

Premium Subscriber
Mike,

Thank you much for the info. I am checking it out now. I was interested in the Wellbrook because it had appeared to be less than the DXE loop. I hadn't realized that shipping it from UK to here was going to end up costing me nearly $100 more. Nothing saved there.

Mike

PS: I'm an impulse buyer. Reviews looked good. Cost looked good. W6LVP loop ordered.

Mike & Mike, :)

I know when I ordered the Wellbrook, shipping did add to its cost, but it was not "nearly $100", but came in just over $60. Still worth it in my book. Thought that with the Pixel and the Wellbrook, I would be done with antennas, but that will change when I get my ticket so I can attach the microphone to the IC-7300. :)

--
Mike

mbott

Premium Subscriber
There is joy in Mudville as my Airspy HF+ arrived yesterday.

--
Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.