• Effective immediately we will be deleting, without notice, any negative threads or posts that deal with the use of encryption and streaming of scanner audio.

We've noticed a huge increase in rants and negative posts that revolve around agencies going to encryption due to the broadcasting of scanner audio on the internet. It's now worn out and continues to be the same recycled rants. These rants hijack the threads and derail the conversation. They no longer have a place anywhere on this forum other than in the designated threads in the Rants forum in the Tavern.

If you violate these guidelines your post will be deleted without notice and an infraction will be issued. We are not against discussion of this issue. You just need to do it in the right place. For example:
    https://forums.radioreference.com/rants/224104-official-thread-live-audio-feeds-scanners-wait-encryption.html

The Use of FRS and GMRS radios by US troops in Iraq

Status
Not open for further replies.

mkewman

Premium Subscriber
I've recently been watching a lot of war diaries and documentaries of troops in iraq.

one thing that kind of angered me, is that they're using FRS and GMRS radios over there. both in combat, and in the green zone.

with such a large amount of money devoted to iraq, WHY is there no money for DECENT RADIOS.

gccflscan

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
ISR not FRS

What you are probably seeing are Intra Squad Radios or ISR's

They basically are FRS type radios that are on 390MHz federal/military frequencies.

MacombMonitor

gccflscan said:
What you are probably seeing are Intra Squad Radios or ISR's

They basically are FRS type radios that are on 390MHz federal/military frequencies.
mkewman is correct. Normal off-the-shelf FRS/GMRS radios are in wide use by U.S. troops in IRAQ. A good friend of mine had a son over there for some time that used one. The favorite was the Garmin series with the built-in GPS.

poltergeisty

Truth is a force of nature
This was talked about already.

They actually by them with their own money in most cases.

They should use Kenwood 373s and program a system with a large amount of channels so to randomize through them every time the PTT was pressed.

I have mine set like this. Helps!

I know that they are not giving away important info. over the air on these civilian radios.

NeFire242

Isn't the US still jamming the 2m / 440 freqs over there because the enemy was using readily available ham gear ordered from the net?

Would make sense to use FRS in some instances. Short range which means you can talk to the people in your group without others listening in unless they were fairly close. Oh wait well with the "Privacy Code" feature no one else can listen. =p

N

N_Jay

OFFICIALLY they are NOT suposed to be using them at all.

Go back and read teh stuff from a year or so ago.

cellblock776

Officiallly or not they are being used. Widely. FRS/GMRS radios are also being used by National Guard troops both during Katrina and now during the redepolyment to New Orleans for the crime control mission.
When I was deployed to Saudi as part of Desert Shield/Storm CB radios were purchased and put in many of the vehicles we took over there. FRS/GMRS hts are the new CB and they are popular with the troops.

SCPD

Over in Iraq they CAN NOT use FRS radio because the are not secure, unencrypted. All of the radios over in OIF and OEF use encryption.
These radio are the ISR. They look the same but they are not.
Look at the title of the article, Soldiers in Bosnia scour catalogs, PX in search of better two-way radio.

MacombMonitor

KG4WHM said:
Over in Iraq they CAN NOT use FRS radio because the are not secure, unencrypted. All of the radios over in OIF and OEF use encryption.
These radio are the ISR. They look the same but they are not.
Look at the title of the article, Soldiers in Bosnia scour catalogs, PX in search of better two-way radio.
You mean they are not "allowed" to use FRS radios because they are not secure. That doesn't mean they "can't", "don't", or "won't". I know what my buddy purchased, and shipped to his son, and they were not ISR.

I understand where you're coming from, as to what is allowed, legal, approved, etc. But you would be amazed what goes on over there! Not everything is by the rules, that is for certain!

Grog

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
KG4WHM said:
Over in Iraq they CAN NOT use FRS radio because the are not secure
The brass say they CAN NOT use their own slings, lights, optics, and holsters. That does not mean it's not a fairly common site to see someone making things fill their needs in the best way.

SCPD

MacombMonitor said:
I know what my buddy purchased, and shipped to his son, and they were not ISR.
But does it mean he is using it I dought it.

MacombMonitor said:
But you would be amazed what goes on over there! Not everything is by the rules, that is for certain!
I know. I've been over there in OEF.

NeFire242

They would probably serve a purpose for some things. I doubt you need secure comms to say, "Hey Nate which MRE did you want to eat for dinner tonight?"

Luis_C

I don't doubt it that they are using them, sadly, they shouldn't for this kind of professional stuff, you can see people using this radios in many of applications that is wrong, like in Mythbusters. (Yellow motorola talkabouts)

Status
Not open for further replies.