the villages

Status
Not open for further replies.

swstow

Premium Subscriber
i have a customer moving to the villages is their any body local that programs unidens / i see that local law and fire went to the state system so i cant help him / but i figure a local might know some good stuff for him to listen to and would be happy to send some buiness there way / he is leaving week of 1/24/14

NYRHKY94

I don't currently live in The Villages but I have family there and also a remote scanner setup. Since the deployment of the new Sumter County system and it's wide spread use of Encryption (including The Villages), unfortunately there just isn't much to listen to there IMO. My scanner is essentially useless there now. A real shame...

whooey

That really stinks, as you know with all the retirees in The Vilages, there are probably a lot of scanner enthusiasts. :(

NYRHKY94

Whooey:

Yes it does. Even the The Villages own Community Patrol itself is now Encrypted. The hobby is pretty much dead in that area. I visit family there 1-2 times per year and don't even turn my scanner on anymore.

swstow

Premium Subscriber
thanks everyone , thats what i was thinking also ( not much to scan ) thinking he could still use it to listen to Ham or skywarn , he has been a good customer of mine and i figured i would give it a try , guess i put weather codes in and cut him loose , living in daytona for 20 years i know you can all ways count on bad weather

TEH

Scanning in The Villages

Hello all,

While the Sumter County Motorola trunked system is completely encrypted, and law talkgroups on Lake County's system are encrypted, there are interesting things to monitor in and near The Villages:

1. Marion County's 800 digital Moto system has only a few encrypted talkgroups, and I've had good reception of this system when within range of it.

2. You might also be in range of the city of Ocala's digital 800 Moto system, which is easily monitorable within range.

3. You can receive the Florida Forest Service, which works wildfires. All analog.

4. There are conventional mutual aid channels you can monitor.

5. You can receive some adjacent counties and cities.

6. Law talkgroups on Lake County's digital Moto 800 system are encrypted, but fire & EMS are not.

Databases for all of these are on Radio Reference. Be sure to check conventional channels for nearby cities and counties.

krokus

Premium Subscriber
Wirelessly posted (Opera/9.80 (Android 2.3.4; Linux; Opera Mobi/ADR-1309251116) Presto/2.11.355 Version/12.10)

troymail said:
NYRHKY94 said:
Even the The Villages own Community Patrol itself is now Encrypted.

What the hell is everyone trying to hide?

Poor radio procedures? :)

Last edited:

SCPD

QRT
We have been hit pretty hard down here. The only thing positive is most counties are limited to funds, and it appears by the database the salesman are heading up north.

DeRanKeR

Premium Subscriber
I've spoken with Ocala Police Chief Graham and he does not mind people listening to their comms. Have not attempted speaking to the sheriff at this point. All Marion County comms are in the clear (albeit Sheriff's SWAT= encrypted)

kc8rak

I will be visiting the Villages this summer. FD talk groups are in the clear? That's what I normally scan here in Lake county Ohio. Much 2 meter/440 ham radio activity?

John

SCPD

QRT
John the Villages FD is encrypted, as far as 2meter/440 they use to have an amateur radio club as part of the activities, I'm not sure how active it is, or if they are using other bands.

Status
Not open for further replies.