The wiki garbage man is cleaning house

Status
Not open for further replies.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
As I have temp Admin rights, I've gone ahead and cleaned out our Orphans list from over 300 down to just over 2 dozen.

As a review, an orphan page is one that links to nothing. The only way to find it is to search for it - like in another wiki folks know about (ahem).. By policy these are not permitted with the exception of one very narrow instance (coding a multiple page article that isn't ready yet).

With that in mind, the link below points to the list. If someone wants an article to be saved, please speak up in the next few days, or these will all go to the big black hole in the center of our galaxy

Mike

bravo14

Premium Subscriber
I meant to go and deleted the ones I circled in the picture. Since that system is going to 800 mhz side.
Screen Shot 07-09-21 at 09.54 PM_LI.jpg

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
Keep in mind that some Wiki articles exist because there is a Database entry of that same name. Each Database entry has a link to a Wiki article. As such, there are many times when a seemingly orphaned Wiki article may have a link from the Database, though it would be nice if every one of those Wiki articles had a link from some other article in the Wiki.

If we consider the Wiki to be a standalone information resource, then those orphaned articles should be eliminated. But, if we consider the Wiki as support for the Database (remember, the Database is for confirmed and structured information, while the Wiki can contain un-confirmed and less-structured information), then our Wiki rules may not always work.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Well, not every database entry has a wiki, but it could. But if these articles contain out of date or incorrect information, and they're orphans, then they should be dropped in favor of any more correct information - even if that comes later. Otherwise confusion results from having 2 different sets of information. A newcomer won't know which one is correct.

This is why, for an article to be dropped, a couple of things are needed;
  1. The article must not link to anything (orphan)
  2. The article must be emptied of any data (which is why I didn't drop them with the first pass)
  3. The article must not have any category information

Bravo if you would be so kind as to comply with the above requirements for those articles you wish killed, once that's done, I'll drop them.

Thanks from the wiki garbageman

Last edited:

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Let me give a specific example of where conflicting information could cause confusion...

This database entry actually had 2 entries in the wiki - one for Eastern Kentucky Power Cooperative and one for East Kentucky Power Cooperative. The second one matches the DB entry, the other doesn't. I did a quick eyeball on the 2 articles, and they were nearly identical (apart from the naming), and both were missing the SID entry on the template. I fixed the correct one, rebound it to the Kentucky Trunked Radio Systems page, blanked the Eastern one and dropped it.

Now all is well with that entry - the chain between the database and wiki has been corrected, the chain within the wiki is correct and the incorrect entry dropped. Now there's no confusion whatsoever as to the data between the wiki and database.

Mike

nd5y

Somebody needs to thell the database admins that every time they change the name of a trunked system or state agency it breaks the wiki and they need to check for wiki button links before they change the names of stuff in the database.

bravo14

Premium Subscriber
Somebody needs to thell the database admins that every time they change the name of a trunked system or state agency it breaks the wiki and they need to check for wiki button links before they change the names of stuff in the database.
Some members that travel or first time listing in submit different changes to fit their needs. I do some research before I submit something to a trunk system or conv side.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Just edit the system name and type in the Infobox template that is called at the top of the page. Once you do that, the rest will change.

I will take care of the TRS table page in a bit.

Mike

AK9R

Super Moderator
This database entry actually had 2 entries in the wiki - one for Eastern Kentucky Power Cooperative and one for East Kentucky Power Cooperative. The second one matches the DB entry, the other doesn't.
This an unfortunate outcome of DB admins changing DB system names without changing the corresponding Wiki article. But, frankly, this is a little bit of sausage making that should be discussed with the DB admins.

AK9R

Super Moderator
WRT Oklahoma City, this is the old Wiki article: Oklahoma City - The RadioReference Wiki

The Oklahoma City Metro Public Safety (P25) is this: Oklahoma City Metro Public Safety (P25) Trunking System, Oklahoma City, Oklahoma - Scanner Frequencies

The Wiki article linked from the above Database system is this: https://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/Oklahoma_City_Metro_Public_Safety_(P25)

As you can see, they are not the same Wiki article. The Database automatically generates links to Wiki articles and I can't change that. So, if a DB admin creates a new system or changes the name of a system, the link to the Wiki is automatically changed. The DB admins have no control over this, AFAIK.

In this case, I believe that the old Oklahoma City Wiki article should have any relevant information moved to the new article and the old article should be deleted.

Status
Not open for further replies.