Theantennafarm question

Status
Not open for further replies.

WB4CS

Since this thread has been resurrected I wanted to share my experience with Antenna Farm as well. (Sorry for beating a dead horse but I feel the need to share.)

I've orderd twice from them, and will never again do business with them. I've never had to deal directly with their customer service (thankfully) but I can confirm the slow ship time. Both of my orders took 7 days to ship to Alabama. Paying $10 for shipping at that slow rate is too high, in my opinion.

My first order was an antenna, and while it did take a week to get here, it was a good product and arrived in good shape.

However, my second order was for a Kenwood microphone. Antenna Farm was the only place online I could find this particular part number so I ordered it from them. When it arrived (7 days later) I was shocked at the package at my doorstep. This mic was supposed to be new (in the box) and was supposed to come with the mic, hanging clip, and mounting hardware. What I received was a shipping envelope with a loose mic inside. No bubble wrap, no plastic covering the mic, no hanging clip, and no hardware. It's as if they pulled just the mic out of the box and stuck it in an envelope. The only thing that stopped me from shipping it right back to them was the fact that the mic works, had no visible damage, and I didn't need the mounting hardware. Even though everything worked, I will NOT ever shop somewhere that is too cheap to send me a new product in the OEM package.

Bottom line, don't shop at Antenna Farm.

rapidcharger

What people don't seem to know is that The Antenna Farm is located in Montana.
Montana to just about any densely populated region of the country is a good week in transit by UPS ground or Priority mail.

I also don't think this guy has a lot of what he's selling in stock. I think he probably gets an order for something and orders it from a wholesaler and gets it in then sells it.

The BBB gives The Antenna Farm an "F" rating.

W2NJS

There are far too many good, honest, reliable amateur radio sources in the USA that people should have to put up with the kinds of abuse described in the above posts. To steal the title from an old Clint Eastwood movie, "For a few dollars more" you could get top quality products almost overnight from any of the reputable ham stores. HRO is good example. Order something from them on the East Coast and the item will usually be at your house either overnight or two days later.

dixie729

Premium Subscriber
Good thing I saw this!
I was just about to purchase an icom mobile radio, software and a programing cable from that guy. I've purchased antennas from him before with no problem, but that's been some time ago. I'm not going to take any chances on a expensive item.

Kevin Absher - HTC Inspire 4G

LIScanner101

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
I've always wondered how places like this stay in business....?????

It's as if they have a small following of repeat customers who either 1) don't care if someone treats them like garbage or 2) they somehow figured out to get on John's good side, get treated well and keep going back to him.

shanny19

I've always wondered how places like this stay in business....?????

I think the fact that he offers the wideband mod as an easy, "add to cart" option on new radios gets him a fair amount of business.

FWIW, I bought a Kenwood from him a couple years ago, and it was a flawless transaction.

WB4CS

I think the fact that he offers the wideband mod as an easy, "add to cart" option on new radios gets him a fair amount of business.

I noticed that too, and am not very fond of it. I understand that with some searching online, anyone can get the radio mods and do them. A business offering the mods seems to open the flood gates for people buying cheaper ham radios to use on commercial frequencies in order to save money instead of buying more expensive LMR type accepted radios. One thing that irks me is people who use forums like this one wanting help to use ham radios as police/fire/EMT radios, which is something I think should be discouraged. Here's a business that embraces it. It's very clear they are marketing the ham radios to be used on commercial frequencies, many of the ham radios have in the description "field programmable, no need for software!" Any ham that was buying ham radio gear would know the radio has a VFO, but for someone looking for LMR gear it sounds like a way to save money on a radio that doesn't need software to program.

LIScanner101

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Does he even look at this site? It's amazing he hasn't ever posted anything here in his "defense". Must be a coward.

newsphotog

Premium Subscriber
I noticed that too, and am not very fond of it. I understand that with some searching online, anyone can get the radio mods and do them. A business offering the mods seems to open the flood gates for people buying cheaper ham radios to use on commercial frequencies in order to save money instead of buying more expensive LMR type accepted radios. One thing that irks me is people who use forums like this one wanting help to use ham radios as police/fire/EMT radios, which is something I think should be discouraged. Here's a business that embraces it. It's very clear they are marketing the ham radios to be used on commercial frequencies, many of the ham radios have in the description "field programmable, no need for software!" Any ham that was buying ham radio gear would know the radio has a VFO, but for someone looking for LMR gear it sounds like a way to save money on a radio that doesn't need software to program.

Many reputable mainstream vendors, such as HamCity, offer the MARS/CAP mod as an option. It's not just The Antenna Farm. And these vendors are just performing the mod -- they're not the ones transmitting illegally. That's the user's responsibility.

They are in no way "clearly marketing the ham radios to be used on commercial frequencies." Give people some credit. If you get out, you'll realize that this is not as widespread as you think. It's foolish to think that vendors are doing it for that purpose. We have a few people on here that would like to do stupid things like that, but they are in the extreme minority.

Anyone that would need an LMR radio would buy an LMR radio if they are worth a lick.

skatertj

I ordered a NMO mount and Larsen 1/4 wave from him. Took about a month to get to me. Gave me the same emails he gives everyone else and even after I was being nice the entire time. I will NEVER order from them again. EVER. He runs a horrible business and I would love too see his business fail just because he doesnt deserve to run it anymore. Stay away from them unless you are just looking to find equipment thats on the market. Just never ever ever buy from them. Im sure this thread has warned many people and if i wouldve seen it before i ordered what i did from him, I would have just bought directly from Tessco.

rapidcharger

This kind of stuff is a lot like my current industry.

Customers want the cheapest prices then they're stuck waiting 2+ weeks for their order and the company never picks up the phone. Or they can pay a little more and the phone is always answered, no phone menus or voicemail and they get their order when promised or their money is refunded.

As for the extended transmit mod, even Gigaparts offers that now. I'm
yikes.gif
. I always knew they were a bunch of price w****s but this just confirms they'll do anything for money.

Status
Not open for further replies.