Thin Blue Line Rider injured in Keweenaw

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hoofy

Occurred about 1500 eastern time today August 19th.

A rider with the "Upper Peninsula Law Enforcement Motorcycle Benefit Ride" was invorved in a serious P I accident near the Keweenaw Mountain Lodge on US 41 in Keweenaw County. Sounds like motorcycle vs pickup. Bike rider sustained multiple broken bones and severe facial trauma. I have no other info other than rider is reported to be from lower Michigan.

Hoofy

Here's what TV 6 reported from Mqt. on the 21st.

A rider with the Thin Blue Line motorcycle group is hospitalized after a crash this weekend.

According to the Keweenaw County Sheriff's Department, this happened Saturday afternoon, at 2:15, on US-41 near the Keweenaw Mountain Lodge.

Forty-nine-year-old William Starbird, of West Branch, was negotiating a curve when he lost control of his bike. He hit an oncoming pickup truck.

Starbird was transferred to Keweenaw Memorial, and later to Marquette General for treatment. No one in the pickup truck was injured. The accident remains under investigation.

UPMedic

Yeah, those are some wicked curves up there, and if you're not familiar with the road, some of them can come up rather quickly. Then again, even if you are familiar with the road, they still come up rather quickly...

I wish the rider the best, and a speedy recovery.

bigbluemsp

WOW this is close to home here. I've probably met him and didn't even know it. This should have his our Crappy Tabloid but of course its something to do with a officer so it won't.

Hope he recovers

Chief71

Hoofy said:
Forty-nine-year-old William Starbird, of West Branch, was negotiating a curve when he lost control of his bike. He hit an oncoming pickup truck.
quote]

The rider is a reserve with my department (as well as a few other depts). The Doctors say that his ballistic vest prevented broken ribs. Dispite his pelvis and jaw injuries, it sounds like he was pretty lucky.

bigbluemsp

Chief_71 said:
Hoofy said:
quote]

The rider is a reserve with my department (as well as a few other depts). The Doctors say that his ballistic vest prevented broken ribs. Dispite his pelvis and jaw injuries, it sounds like he was pretty lucky.

Hope he will be alright.

Status
Not open for further replies.