Thinging about buying a new redio a Uniden Bearcat model BP-250

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
I wouldn't recommend it, this was uniden's first digital portable scanner.

It works fairly well on Motorola type ll smart Zone systems but was always muffled modulation. It works on analog frequencies. To me that's a lot of money for that radio and you're going to find the batteries are probably not rechargeable anymore. The radio was introduced in 2003.

It doesn't accommodate rebanding. It does not work on the phase 2 TxWARN system.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
I live in Montgomery County, Texas. I am wondering if this radio will work okay for my area? Here is the link to the radio: Uniden Bearcat model BP-250 | eBay Thanks you I sure need some advice about this before I buy. Royce
That item appears to be marked as sold. However, it would not have worked for you in Montgomery County on TxWARN. The model number is also wrong; there is no 'digital capable' Uniden scanner using model number BP-250. It appears to actually be the BC250D. Also, for that scanner to receive digital transmissions, you also need a specific digital card, BCi-25. Those are hard to find, and often run (when available) in the $200 range. I have the BC250D, with a card.

In any event, even with the card, that scanner cannot handle a P25 system such as TxWARN. About the only digital signals it can handle (if you, in fact, can even locate the card) would be conventional P25 signals. There's only a couple such channels listed for your county. Most of the radio traffic for Montgomery County is on TxWARN, with Conroe on a different system.

You need a scanner capable of P25 Phase II. Also, both TxWARN in your county, as well as Conroe's system, both have simulcast sites.

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
I have never heard of this model (doesn’t mean a lot) and all I find when I search on it are replacement battery packs (probably a clue that this unit will require a new battery).
Yes the battery pack is the BP 180 and it is not available anymore and if it was it wouldn't work anyway, there was no accommodation made for double A batteries. It was the battery pack or nothing at all.

It only worked digitally if you bought the optional digital card that had to be inserted, without the card it wasn't digital capable. It was introduced at the same time GRE introduced the pro 96 for Radio Shack in 2003 which was a far far superior radio especially with clean crisp modulation.

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
I live in Montgomery County, Texas. I am wondering if this radio will work okay for my area? Here is the link to the radio: Uniden Bearcat model BP-250 | eBay Thanks you I sure need some advice about this before I buy. Royce
BP-250 is the model number of the scanner's battery. The actual model number of the scanner is BC250D. That scanner runs on 20 year old technology... as others have recommended, don't waste your money.

1678057652476.png

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
I did not check for that, but in any event, that scanner won't work in the OPs area.. Relisted, the price went from about $70 to $17.00
Now we are talking, that's about what it's worth LOL. I still have mine and it's been in a case the whole time so it's like brand new but you would have to repack the battery.

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
BP-250 is the model number of the scanner's battery. The actual model number of the scanner is BC250D. That scanner runs on 20 year old technology... as others have recommended, don't waste your money.

View attachment 137721
Oh yes, now I remember it was first introduced with the battery pack BP-180 which lasted about 4 hours, it was coated in yellow rubber then they introduced the BP- 250 battery pack, coated in white rubber which brought you up to about 6 hours LOL.

KevinC

Big Dog...celebrating 10 years of abuse!
Super Moderator
That item appears to be marked as sold. However, it would not have worked for you in Montgomery County on TxWARN. The model number is also wrong; there is no 'digital capable' Uniden scanner using model number BP-250. It appears to actually be the BC250D. Also, for that scanner to receive digital transmissions, you also need a specific digital card, BCi-25. Those are hard to find, and often run (when available) in the $200 range. I have the BC250D, with a card.

In any event, even with the card, that scanner cannot handle a P25 system such as TxWARN. About the only digital signals it can handle (if you, in fact, can even locate the card) would be conventional P25 signals. There's only a couple such channels listed for your county. Most of the radio traffic for Montgomery County is on TxWARN, with Conroe on a different system.

You need a scanner capable of P25 Phase II. Also, both TxWARN in your county, as well as Conroe's system, both have simulcast sites.
And add that all the MCSO TG’s are encrypted as well as most of CPD.

KevinC

Big Dog...celebrating 10 years of abuse!
Super Moderator
Yep, I forgot to mention that. Saw that on the systems, but did not include encryption in my response.
We covered that in his other thread. ;)

Whiskey3JMC

DXpeditioner
Premium Subscriber
what radio would you reconmend buying for my area?
Conroe TX operates here. Police are fully encrypted, as is all other mode "TE" talkgroup. This can make or break one's decision to buy. Only mode "T" and "D" talkgroups can be monitored. With that said; in order to mitigate likely simulcast distortion effects which may be faced scanning this system with most scanners, my only recommendations for these types of systems are the Uniden SDS100 (handheld) or SDS200 (base)
1678114389049.png

Last edited:

rcla39652

Premium Subscriber
how about a Uniden Sportcat SC200 Scanner will it work fine with Montgomery County, Texas.? I found one for a good price.