Things that would be cool to have in a scanner in addition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zaratsu

Premium Subscriber
I do like how the PSR-500 and 600 identify what is being heard by LED color light. (blue = PD, red = FD)

I say expand on this feature to more scanners so we can eyeball priorities, alerts, etc. Not just by color, but by blink rate and strobing. (oh god the possibilites for the whack pack! rapid responder lights on their scanner for their REACT team lol) They could run thru the mall with their scanner's sireen blaring!

make the Wx SAME monitoring seperate so we can scan while the twisters are brewin.

hoser147

Hey Dan the PSR 500 and 600 have alot of different light combinations and flashrates and audio alert tones for different freq.s and talkgroups. The weather idea is great, with the way most are setup you have to chose one or the other and most of us only have one scanner while out and about. No more than there is to weather radio's these days it would be a great added feature............Hoser

Gilligan

Database Admin
gmclam said:
1. A PRIority function that is true. This requires a 2nd receiver so that the PRI channel is monitored constantly. None of this 2 second interruption checking the so-called PRI channel. That would also make it possible to make a TRS TalkGroup a priority channel.
The second receiver would make this too expensive to be a viable option. The TG priority shouldn't be so hard if it just automatically puts the TG at the beginning of the scan list for that system -- it wouldn't be "true" priority though.

gmclam said:
3. TCP/IP (or maybe USB) port.
USB support should be included with these scanners -- the technology is definately here.

gmclam said:
4. I customized several scanners back in the late 1970s with CPUs. I added some software features that do not exist anywhere else to this very day.
What were these features?

gmclam said:
6. CT/DC tone exclude mode. Currently scanners can be set to CSQ or a specific tone. I'd like to program a channel to only open the squelch if the tone is NOT a specific value, and another setting that opens on ANY tone frequency (but a tone must be present).
Uniden is half-way there on this one. They include Tone Lockout but not Tone Required. I agree completely that it is needed and shouldn't be hard to implement. It may just not open squelch immediately, but so what?

gmclam said:
7. A "hit" counter. Every time a channel receives a transmission a count is incremented.
My old Pro-2045 had this and I loved it. I don't know how much extra memory it would require but it would definately be nice.

srt1026

a separate volume control for each channel ? like +1 +2 or -1 -2.

the scanner could be in 'normal volume' or 'adjusted volume' mode.
when in normal mode, volume would be as it always is.
when in adjusted mode, channels u selected would be either louder or quieter than the others.

Gilligan

Database Admin
No more squelch knobs on the top of the radio. It should be digital. I almost never use squelch. Okay, so maybe a Monitor button on the radio to open squelch, but that could even be a Function+Key option on the keypad. I get so tired of bumping the squelch knob.

AZScanner

Somewhere in this room. Right now, you're very col
A RF remote control and bluetooth capability for the high end base units, so I can listen to the scanner all over the house and control it too. An added plus would be the ability for the remote to emit a tone when whistled at (I'm always losing remotes).

Hey don't look at me like that. This is a thread for what features would be COOL in a scanner. COOL, get it? Not necessarily USEFUL. Come on, people have some fun. :D

-AZ

Zaratsu

Premium Subscriber
AZScanner said:
A RF remote control and bluetooth capability for the high end base units, so I can listen to the scanner all over the house and control it too. An added plus would be the ability for the remote to emit a tone when whistled at (I'm always losing remotes).

Hey don't look at me like that. This is a thread for what features would be COOL in a scanner. COOL, get it? Not necessarily USEFUL. Come on, people have some fun. :D

-AZ

Do you want it to get you a beer from the fridge too?:lol:

I'd rather have an IR remote. Less battery power and less RF noise.

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
Scanner features

Gilligan said:
The second receiver would make this too expensive to be a viable option.
It is a lot less expensive than you'd think. Much of what is used for the 1st receiver can be used for the 2nd receiver. The most significant element which must be added is the 2nd front end.

The TG priority shouldn't be so hard if it just automatically puts the TG at the beginning of the scan list for that system -- it wouldn't be "true" priority though.
Trunked systems do not work that way. The scanner monitors a control channel; when a TG is sent from the TRS, the scanner checks the list. The order in the list would only dictate how fast (in microseconds) a match is found. To actually have a TG be a priority channel, the scanner MUST CONSTANTLY monitor the control channel. That's why a 2nd receiver is needed. This is one of the most "requested" features here on RR.

USB support should be included with these scanners -- the technology is definately here.
Don't go thinking this is free. Hardware and software are required to implement this. The hardware adds to the cost and power consumption. This is why a simple port was put on most scanners instead of a true RS-232 port.

AZScanner said:
This is a stupid idea. First of all why do you want to be pointing a (relatively) high powered RF transmitter at an RF receiver? It will desensitize it. If you need a remote to reach your hand-held scanner, then at least it should be IR.

mfn002

Premium Subscriber
I would like an "Auto-Save" or an audible alert to indicate when a new Talkgroup has been found. Also, smaller size and a color screen (like the Icom R-5) would be nice, with the ability to adjust text size. You could also have longer text IDs by scrolling the text (as on some MP3 players). WAY more channels and an unlimited number of Talkgroups per system would also be nice.

topnik

May sound goofy, but I think this would be great on a "base" scanner...one that sits on a desk all the time...

Multiple antenna inputs...maybe a common one, one for VHF, one for UHF, and one for 800MHz+...then you have the ability to select which antenna you want to use per bank/entity/whatever...if you don't select one, it goes to the common...

Heck, I don't know...I got nothing...

xpawel15x

topnik said:
May sound goofy, but I think this would be great on a "base" scanner...one that sits on a desk all the time...

Multiple antenna inputs...maybe a common one, one for VHF, one for UHF, and one for 800MHz+...then you have the ability to select which antenna you want to use per bank/entity/whatever...if you don't select one, it goes to the common...

Heck, I don't know...I got nothing...

Hmm.. how about multiple bnc connectors so you can have different antennas connected to use with one scanner and flip a switch for which one to use at the time. Less stress on the bnc and just flipping a switch would go from a VHF/UHF antenna to a 800mhz antenna !

mitaux8030

Silent Key
Open system codec

My vote would be for an open system codec.
Everyone wants to be able to decode ALL the digital systems. That just ain't going to happen - only if the manufacturers see a 'market' for a feature will they then be bothered to sit down and design the circuitry, code the code, and develop a reception mode for their new receiver.

So why not make a scanner like a computer? A computer doesn't do anything much until software is put into it - after all, its just hardware that makes it possible to do just about anything, given the right software. In the world of radio, this is called Software Defined Radio.

These SDRs are pretty expensive right now, but bringing the concept down a notch or two should be possible for a domestic grade device such as a scanner. Lets have software definable codecs - or at least the decode part of codec. You want pager decoding? P25? EDACS? LTR? fine, just load the appropriate software into the scanners 'codec' brain and away it goes.
What happens if you want to do something a little unusual like Mobitex? MPT1327? ACARS? OK, well here's the kicker - make the firmware code that drives the codec an 'open' system - something that is published and known to the public / consumer / developers, so that anyone with the appropriate knowledge can sit down and code a reception mode 'codec' for the scanner themselves.

So all these people who lament the lack of an MPT1327 trunk-tracker in a single receiver could now have the chance to code their own 'codec' for the scanner & make it available for others to download on the net. Such a scanner would then be all things to all people - or at least have the potential to be. No longer would you be waiting for a couldn't-care-less-manufacturer-cause-it-won't-make-us-any-money to make your scanner. Now you'd have a base of users, somewhere, worldwide who want the same reception mode or feature that you want - and surely one of them will be clever enough to write code for the 'open' system scanner.

But lets not stop there - we can also make the "operating system" of the scanner customer-updatable too, so the whole feel of the way the scanner operates can be changed. Things like changing menu structures to the way you're comfortable with, or changing the way the scanning or searching looks & operates. Define your own features, even.

The way open computing power is going these days, such a domestic grade SDR could be possible. My only concern is that the technology will have to mature a bit more yet - I'm a bit 'old school' in this way of thinking - a solution done in hardware (ie hard coded ROM, custom designed circuits etc) will be faster and more reliable than that done by software.

But other than that, I like the idea of:
variable delay per channel
attenuation per channel
tweakable settings like the AR8000 had for sound-squelch, PLL lockup times, etc etc.
Li-ion batteries
clock (I don't often wear a watch, I have a scanner with me more often!)

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
One more option

After a trip this w/e I thought of another feature I'd like to see. I was receiving lots of bleed-over from strong signals on adjacent channels. Since the mode is FM, I would like the scanner to have an option where it only stays on the channel if the discriminator output voltage is near zero.

Some (older) FM broadcast receivers used to have 2 meters, one for signal strength and one for "center tuning". That center tuning voltage should be used to inform the scanner whether it is receiving on the desired frequency or an "off frequency" signal.

Gilligan

Database Admin
Well I can certainly understand not wanting the scanner to be combined w/ the cell phone. But I do think it would be awesome if the scanner would look and feel more like a cell phone. Look at the rugged Nextel phones -- you can throw them and they won't break. It would be small. I wouldn't even mind if it went to a folding model (like a flip-phone) if it had enough basic options on the sides and top. And how about volume controls w/ the two side-mounted buttons (up and down) that are multi-funtion and also serve as scroll buttons for lists (or channels/TGs). This stuff IS working for cell phones -- why not incorporate some of it into the next scanner?

xpawel15x

Gilligan said:
Well I can certainly understand not wanting the scanner to be combined w/ the cell phone. But I do think it would be awesome if the scanner would look and feel more like a cell phone. Look at the rugged Nextel phones -- you can throw them and they won't break. It would be small. I wouldn't even mind if it went to a folding model (like a flip-phone) if it had enough basic options on the sides and top. And how about volume controls w/ the two side-mounted buttons (up and down) that are multi-funtion and also serve as scroll buttons for lists (or channels/TGs). This stuff IS working for cell phones -- why not incorporate some of it into the next scanner?

A folding scanner? Scanners shouldn't look like cell phones, they should look like radios! And no more bricks from RadioShack. Smaller body but longer antenna, and more powerful than ever!

breadtrk

-AZ

WIN500, Verizon Samsung Omnia, Bluetooth headset. Whistle don't work but the rest does.

Status
Not open for further replies.