Think I bought to much scanner

Status
Not open for further replies.

lawman210

I live in NE Maryland. I thought I needed the specs of the new scanner to hear some of the depts like Maryland State. I haven't seen anything that my Hp1 can't handle. I realize the new scanners have the extreme software included. Maybe I would have been suited to just order the upgrade

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

wtp

could be worse

my buddy bought a psr600 to program in one frequency.
so 1 / 39,000 used.
it took 3 people to program it because he wiped the memory
none of us were used to that type of scanner

screenersam

I hate motrbro
the way things are changing / upgrading you'll probably need it eventually. Hopefully these will last us 10+years; we'll see.
my county (Somerset) is running Edacs, which is being discontinued. Don't know what they'll get next.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
I live in NE Maryland. I thought I needed the specs of the new scanner to hear some of the depts like Maryland State. I haven't seen anything that my Hp1 can't handle. I realize the new scanners have the extreme software included. Maybe I would have been suited to just order the upgrade

No you actually bought wisely. FiRST is using a type of system that the HP1 can't handle (Phase 2), and won't even with the Extreme upgrade.

Eventually FiRST will be statewide and be handling a lot more than just some of the MSP barracks and MTA stuff. It will take time but it will happen, budgets allowing.

Take your time and keep ahead of the threads in the Uniden forum. You'll learn more by doing (at least I do) so try some of the other functions. And ALWAYS back up your current configuration before you experiment

Mike

troymail

Silent Key
I agree - unless there is a financial reason, you're right to have the latest radio. Over time you can expect more and more systems in the area to switch to Phase 2 and right now I have to say that the x36 - while not perfect - seems to be the best at decoding Phase 2 systems.

(I still prefer GRE/Whistler and hope they'll be coming out with a competitive model soon but I suspect that isn't going to happen quickly - until they get up and on their feet)

lawman210

I believe lower part of Maryland is using Tdma systems which will benefits the new scanner

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Yes, if you ever go to or need to come thru Prince George's, we're all Phase 2 here......Mike

lawman210

When u say have 2 is that considered the "first"program?

DisasterGuy

Harford County is also starting their Astro25 upgrade. While there system will revert to phase 1 to support xts5000 portables still in use, it is being designed phase 2 and most mobiles (at least fire) are already APX7500's that are Phase 2

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

troymail

Silent Key
JFK should be off VHF. They were under the narrowband mandate.

It may be but the "sound of" the activity on FiRST JFK still seems like there is a patch in place for something.... That talkgroup definitely sounds different than other fully 700 talkgroups. When I was in Elkton a few months ago, Northeast was definitely patched also (I was listening to both low band and FiRST).

DisasterGuy

Most of North East was using VHF P5100 and 7100 portables going through the Cecil system to a lowband patch. There never was a patch between JFK and the Cecil system so it could be anyone's guess.

riveter

Premium Subscriber
I think the MSP M patch is with their VHF-LO net, not the VHF-HI. I haven't heard them on 155 since about a month after the switch last year.

lawman210

Can you tell me what the c127.3 means in picture 1. The title says law dispatch but I think this is actually just one troopers radio as I have only heard him transmitting on it
Secondly what does the Fi V+0 mean it pic 2
upyjuba4.jpg
9e7ysetu.jpg

lawman210

Sorry I took it with my phone. I'll lower resolution next time

riveter

Premium Subscriber
As Mike said, C is CTCSS, or PL as /\/\otoheads call it. It's a continuous audio tone lower than human hearing (in this case 127.3 khz) that is transmitted with the voice traffic to allow a receiver to open up the speaker only when it hears that tone on the radio frequency (helps eliminate interference issues).

'Law Dispatch" is a tag used by the RR database to indicate the usage type of each object in the database- it just means that the 39.24mHz net you've downloaded is used for Police dispatch-type use (as opposed to data, tactical, etc). I guess the BCD downloads that info too.

The FM V+0 is two different things. FM is the waveform being received- that net is set to receive Frequency Modulation traffic (as opposed to AM, P25 digital, or something else). V+0 is apparently a volume offset you can set for a specific object in that radio to compensate for differing volumes between systems, which is pretty cool.

I'm sure this was shipped with your radio, but here's a second one for you- this should answer a lot of your questions:
http://www.scancat.com/OnLineHelp/OEM_Radio_Owners_Manuals/BCD436-536HPOM_EN_10182013.pdf

Status
Not open for further replies.