Thinking about a new scanner....

Status
Not open for further replies.

mbart

Things have come a long way since I got my Bearcat 100 back in the 80s. I've had several since then, including a couple later models, so I know some basics, but digital is new to me.

From what I've read, I think I need something like a BCD436HP to monitor the SNACC system.

My question is, other than the basic scanner, what options should I consider? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

spierce617

Premium Subscriber
You should consider getting a better antenna and also the PROSCAN software.

PROSCAN has a FREE 30 day trial.

So what exactly does the Proscan software do? I keep hearing to get it but I do not understand why. I am new to this digital scanning also and it does not come easy understanding it.

New Digital Scanner

The first option you will need is a great deal of Patience and a high tolerance for complete frustration! Digital is a whole different thing. With the old analog scanners you put in one frequency on one channel and you were done. With these new digital scanners, each channel contains a dozen "parameters" for that frequency which you use to set that frequency up correctly. And you can do this manually by the keypad, but you'll quickly get completely lost in the scanner's menu items. Which is why you nearly always need a computer to program the scanner. The programming software works much like a spreadsheet does, you then upload the data set to your scanner. But any software also takes time to learn and not really miss the important parameters buried in the Misc Settings areas.

The BCD436HP or the BCD325P2 are both excellent choices which can be used wherever you go. They are nearly equal for digital reception IMHO. You can upgrade both if needed. Uniden includes free programming software with the BCD436HP, which I use and it works fine, all the frequency data comes free with it, straight from this Radio Reference website and is updated weekly. The 436HP uses an micro SD camera card to store the data, the 325P2 uses internal memory. With the BCD325P2, you can use various software, I use Freescan (sixspot software) which you must load all the data yourself into the spreedsheet, it has a Cut 'n' Paste function which works fair. It is free. It works with most of Uniden's scanner line except for the scanners which have the free Uniden Sentinel software, as the 436HP. But Freescan does not do DMR. You can get a Radio Ref subscription here and they give you the entire spreadsheet files to fill in the data fields.

Whistler also has a great line of digital scanners, which also include the free programming software sourced via this Radio Ref website. These scanners use the micro SD camera card to store the data and you can take the card out and plug it into your PC to update the data. Faster. Whistler's display panel has Big Bold lettering, I can see it a few feet away, the 436HP, the display lettering is small. How's you eyesight?

The programming software will only work under Windows, as in great with Win7, Win10 may give you an argument. Linux "may work" under Wine if you swear loud enough or use a Virtual Computer running Win7.

With digital, antenna position is everything, the Remtronix 800 Mhz antenna is very good antenna to upgrade. Good luck.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.