Thinking about a PSR-800

Status
Not open for further replies.
In a house along a busy road in Mercer County, Far
Thinking about buying another scanner. And this time I am going to buy the PSR-800. Just a question or 2 for now.

1) Does this mean I can input the frequencies for an LTR System in any order and the scanner will tell me the correct LCN after it picks up a signal? "Regular LTR trunking with auto-arrange for LCN"

2) I am very spoiled with my 396XT when it comes to using a GPS as I am mobile most of the time as my job takes me back and forth to Chicago from Pa. Does the PSR-800 have the ability to use a GPS while scanning on the road?

Ed_Seedhouse

Premium Subscriber
2) I am very spoiled with my 396XT when it comes to using a GPS as I am mobile most of the time as my job takes me back and forth to Chicago from Pa. Does the PSR-800 have the ability to use a GPS while scanning on the road?

No it doesn't. If you live in the USA and get the latest firmware update it will allow you to scan by location but you have to input a zip code. I don't travel much, so I don't miss it.

N0WEF

Premium Subscriber
I kinda like having the best of both worlds, having the 396xt and the 800.

You use the 396 while driving, and the 800 in the hotel. How often do you DL all the systems along the way? Or end up stopping in a different area then you planned? (You can also DL a statewide system, and the 800 will switch towers as it loses signals along the way.)

Also, with more, and more X2-TDMA systems coming online the HP is kind of a unneeded for me.
(Especially, since it costs $100 (or $200) more, while being deaf in areas.)

Just my .02.... I'm sure someone will point out I'm an idiot :)

Last edited:

BeerNutz

Premium Subscriber
.Just my .02.... I'm sure someone will point out I'm an idiot :)

Through the years I struggled with 9 radios. Then the 800 came along showing us how easy and fun this hobby can be. I am walking, talking, proof that the 800 is idiot proof.

In a house along a busy road in Mercer County, Far
I kinda like having the best of both worlds, having the 396xt and the 800.

(You can also DL a statewide system, and the 800 will switch towers as it loses signals along the way.)

Just my .02.... I'm sure someone will point out I'm an idiot :)

Now this I can live with as I wouldn't have to worry about using the GPS like I do with the 396XT. All 3 states I run through have a statewide system. Am I right to say that the 800 will also look for the better signal on a Motorola System and select that site and open up for all to hear? This is also a great feature that I wish my XT had. Anyone that is always mobile knows how crazy it is when what your listening to is going digital and if you just hit scan real quick another tower is working just fine. Damn, I hate when that happens!

Status
Not open for further replies.