Thinking about moving to SDS-100 / NJICS - advice sought - Passaic County

Roodog2k

Premium Subscriber
I don't post often, came in today for a sanity check.

I tried to update the DB on what is now technically a WS-1080, formally a PSE-800. I got it when it came out.

As of today, I cannot get a connection to DL the latest DB update and the Whistler forum is a little worried this may be the beginning of the end.

I live in Passaic County... a tricky part of Passaic County. I'm in the Wanaque/Ringwood area in the valley. If you need a landmark, use Lakeland HS or the Lakeside Diner. Hard to hit most 2m/440 repeaters with an HT. I think I have literal line-of-sight to the Ramapo tower on Skyline, however. (Passaic County Simulcast) I think I may be on the periphery of the Morris County Simulcast as well.

Anyway, Pompton, Wanaque, Ringwood, West Milford are all still analog. I can hear Bloomingdale, which is on their own digital system. Riverdale is sort of part of Pompton. But, I'm having a harder and harder time monitoring the NJ DEP F/W talk groups. Sometimes they're OK, sometimes no. Same with Oakland.

Thinking about my next move. Leaning toward a SDS-100, but I am really unfamiliar with the Uniden digital ecosystem. Is that overkill? From what I am reading, it handles simulcast better.

But given my location, tough to get around those mountains. $650 is a big sell to my wife.

NParkNJ

On the Road
Premium Subscriber
I live in town, closer to NY, and have no problem picking up Passaic county simulcast at home with 996p2.

I can in the car, technically, but it’s a little harder this time of year(for scanning anything in general) with the trees.

I would make sure you have a good location/antenna setup primarily, mobile or at home.

Feel free to PM me more.

For what it’s worth, I’d also throw Kinnelon, Pequannock, Butler, and Oakland(lowband). They all come in pretty good if you don’t have them in yet. I listen to all of this on my 996p2 with DMR. You’ll need to be in the car and closer to Wanaque/further I find to hear Bloomingdale, Pompton Lakes/Riverdale, Butler, and Pequannock, Kinnelon.

Roodog2k

Premium Subscriber
I live in town, closer to NY, and have no problem picking up Passaic county simulcast at home with 996p2.

I can in the car, technically, but it’s a little harder this time of year(for scanning anything in general) with the trees.

I would make sure you have a good location/antenna setup primarily, mobile or at home.

Feel free to PM me more.

For what it’s worth, I’d also throw Kinnelon, Pequannock, Butler, and Oakland(lowband). They all come in pretty good if you don’t have them in yet. I listen to all of this on my 996p2 with DMR. You’ll need to be in the car and closer to Wanaque/further I find to hear Bloomingdale, Pompton Lakes/Riverdale, Butler, and Pequannock, Kinnelon.
Just sent you a PM

adamr368

Premium Subscriber
I have both - it's no contest for the SDS100 being the best of the available scanners anywhere in the state where P2 is in use. Trust me - you won't regret it.

Roodog2k

Premium Subscriber
I have both - it's no contest for the SDS100 being the best of the available scanners anywhere in the state where P2 is in use. Trust me - you won't regret it.
I was just looking at the Morris Simulcast map, I think they have a site in Kinnelon. That's probably easily in range for me as well. Because of the shape of Passaic County, easy to forget how close Morris County is to where I live.

Wondering if I would have less simulcast issues if I was monitoring just Morris (where I am certain I can only receive Kinnelon) as opposed to Passiac, where I can probably hear Ramapo and Echo Lake.

Still, I want to pull the trigger... need to convince the family it's an essential purchase. 👍

RadioChief55

Feed Provider
I have a SDS100 and 3 SDS200's and a Unication G5. The G5 is by far the better radio on the phase 2 simulcast trunked systems. But it is limited and not a scanner, you can scan analog channels, but not at the same time as you listen to a trunked system. Only one system at a time, but the audio on that system will be perfect as long as your getting a good signal.