Thinking of a 996P2, have a few questions

Skyd

I'm working on building out my new shack build and for the listening portion I'm planning to pick up a new scanner. My current unit is a RS PRO-106 which has served me well over the past 10 years. But I'm really leaning towards a Uniden. I think I've settled on the 996P2, but I'm open to suggestions. First here's my needs/wants for a new scanner.

Will be used as a base unit
P25 Phase II capable
Alphatags
Reasonably quick scan rate (over 50 cps)
Color alerts (i.e so I can set police channels to light up blue, fire red, etc)
PC Programmable

Now a few other considerations. In my area I have very little need for trunking at all. That may change over time but the only thing I think I can receive from my QTH is NXDN for some business stuff and I don't think there's any Simulcast anywhere near me and I suspect it'll be some time before there is, but I dont' really know much about it.

I dont' mind, and in fact prefer, programming via a computer. A laptop will be nearby and easily accessible for using Proscan or Freescan or whatever I need.

One major question I have, because I haven't owned a Uniden for over 20 years and even my Radioshack is over a decade old. How can I setup "scan lists" and how many will I be limited to on the 996. So the PRO-106 uses object oriented memory, each frequency gets a "spot" and I can then add it to as few or as many scan lists as I want. There are 20 possible lists plus a favorites list.

How does that work with the Uniden. I see it has quick keys, and sites, groups, etc. I'm not sure the role that plays in organizing my frequencies which will likely be all conventional or at least Mostly.

Lastly I'm open to other recommendations, however the 996 fits my budget well. If there's a big advantage to spending another $100 or so I might consider it. The SDS200 is out of my price range.

Last edited:

tvengr

Well Known Member
The BCD996P2 can be used for conventional frequencies and trunked systems. Each system (Conventional or trunked) can have up to 20 groups. A group is similar to a scan list. A trunked system can have multiple sites. Systems, sites, and groups are all easily selected by using quick keys. Here is a PDF file which will answer all of your questions about using quick keys:

Attachments

• Uniden Scanner Quick Key Instructions DMA.pdf
    11 KB · Views: 41

Bob1955

I'm working on building out my new shack build and for the listening portion I'm planning to pick up a new scanner. My current unit is a RS PRO-106 which has served me well over the past 10 years. But I'm really leaning towards a Uniden. I think I've settled on the 996P2, but I'm open to suggestions. First here's my needs/wants for a new scanner.

Will be used as a base unit
P25 Phase II capable
Alphatags
Reasonably quick scan rate (over 50 cps)
Color alerts (i.e so I can set police channels to light up blue, fire red, etc)
PC Programmable

Now a few other considerations. In my area I have very little need for trunking at all. That may change over time but the only thing I think I can receive from my QTH is NXDN for some business stuff and I don't think there's any Simulcast anywhere near me and I suspect it'll be some time before there is, but I dont' really know much about it.

I dont' mind, and in fact prefer, programming via a computer. A laptop will be nearby and easily accessible for using Proscan or Freescan or whatever I need.

One major question I have, because I haven't owned a Uniden for over 20 years and even my Radioshack is over a decade old. How can I setup "scan lists" and how many will I be limited to on the 996. So the PRO-106 uses object oriented memory, each frequency gets a "spot" and I can then add it to as few or as many scan lists as I want. There are 20 possible lists plus a favorites list.

How does that work with the Uniden. I see it has quick keys, and sites, groups, etc. I'm not sure the role that plays in organizing my frequencies which will likely be all conventional or at least Mostly.

Lastly I'm open to other recommendations, however the 996 fits my budget well. If there's a big advantage to spending another $100 or so I might consider it. The SDS200 is out of my price range.
Hi Skyd-You cannot go wrong with the Bearcat BCD996P2. Buy it....it's a great scanner for the price which has dropped back down to reasonable levels now.

Skyd

Ok so, if I'm understanding correctly the scanner can be programmed for up to 500 systems, each of which can have 20 groups? Using quick keys I can then program any combination of systems/groups to be active? This is where I'm hung up. So let's say I have a System Called Grafton County. Another called Coos County, and so on. Within each of those I have groups named Police, Fire, EMS for example.

Can I have any combination of those things actively scanning? So Grafton PD, FD and Coos PD, FD all scanning. I think I'm over complicating this and I might just have to wait til I have the thing in front of me. haha

morrisr3nd

Just kind of taking it all in
Premium Subscriber
I don't think the 996P2 can do the color changes like the XT was capable of. I have one and it doesn't do it.

Skyd

Ok I found this site - Easier to Read BCD996P2/XT Digital Scanner Manual which helps clear up some of my confusion. It's a bit easier to follow than the Uniden manual without having the unit in front of me.

Hi Skyd-You cannot go wrong with the Bearcat BCD996P2. Buy it....it's a great scanner for the price which has dropped back down to reasonable levels now.
I think I shall :)

I don't think the 996P2 can do the color changes like the XT was capable of. I have one and it doesn't do it.
Aw man, that's kind of a bummer. I like being able to see from across the room the type of frequency that's active. Like with my PRO-106 if I see the blue light on I know it's PD, Green I know is forest/parks, etc. Just how I have them programmed.

I see in the manual it has the multi colors in the settings but maybe that's just for each system? Maybe that will dictate how I organize the systems and groups.

Kinda sounds like I just need to get it so I can start pushing buttons.

morrisr3nd

Just kind of taking it all in
Premium Subscriber
Aw man, that's kind of a bummer. I like being able to see from across the room the type of frequency that's active. Like with my PRO-106 if I see the blue light on I know it's PD, Green I know is forest/parks, etc. Just how I have them programmed.

I see in the manual it has the multi colors in the settings but maybe that's just for each system? Maybe that will dictate how I organize the systems and groups.

Kinda sounds like I just need to get it so I can start pushing butbuttonsyou might want to look at the 536HP. It at lease has color and a lot more versatile. But also more expensive. I've gotten some really good deals on eBay and the Classifieds on here.

Skyd

I just checked on my BCD996P2. The screen color can be programmed by each frequency and each talkgroup in each system.

WOOHOO! Alright well after hearing from you guys and reading up on some things I think I understand a bit more about how to organize it and looks like it provides more than enough versatility for my needs. I think I'll be ordering one very soon.

tvengr

Well Known Member
I think I'll be ordering one very soon.
It is far faster and easier using programming software than programming manually. If you don't have a DMR or NXDN upgrade, FreeSCAN will serve you nicely and it is FREE! Downloads - Sixspot Software I use Butel ARC-XT Basic to program my BCD996P2. You can also use ProScan. Both have a free trial period for you to decide which one you like better.

mass-man

trying to retire...
Premium Subscriber
Per the last couple of posts. The SDS200 is the king of "buy now, or cry later." And I say that with two 996P2s at home and another dozen at work. It's a good scanner and I have enjoyed learning hw to program them with ProScan. But if you wanna almost future proof your scanning then a SDS200 should be it. Where I am a major city is moving from conventional non-trunked 450mhz to a Phase 2 system. We are holding our breaths waiting to determine that the 996P2 will successfully work. With six towers will it be the dreaded no audio, garbled audio, no control channel? The bosses won't be happy if they have to buy 6 SDS200s, but if you wanna hear the PD, FD and sheriff it may be necessary. Consider carefully, but whatever you do enjoy the new scanner.