Thinking of buying aTRX-1

Status
Not open for further replies.

upsmannj

Well I'm thinking of buying a TRX-1 (big $$$$$ for a radio i think) or a bcd436. Yes I know there are pros and cons to both. I do have a couple of questions on the trx. I;m SURE this has been posted before and I missed it sorry. Here goes. Can you program the trx via PC with windows 10? Does it come with a USB cable to do so? Can you import RR freqs.? can you use WIN500 to program it? So with that being said someone please talk me into laying out the money fo a TRX-1. And also the cheapest price that you know of. Thank you and sorry if I missed the post on this.

sibbley

Premium Subscriber
Yes, I use a Windows 10 Laptop and tablet to program. The TRX-1 does come with a USB cable. The TRX-1 has the entire RR database on it's SD card. You cannot use WIN500 to program. You will use the TRX-1 software that is located on the SD card.

As far as the cheapest price, you'll have to look around. Try the HAM Station, Jeff usually has very good prices.

I like the TRX-1 very much. It's become my goto DMR scanner.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Well I'm thinking of buying a TRX-1 (big $$$$$ for a radio i think) or a bcd436. Yes I know there are pros and cons to both. I do have a couple of questions on the trx. I;m SURE this has been posted before and I missed it sorry. Here goes. Can you program the trx via PC with windows 10? Does it come with a USB cable to do so? Can you import RR freqs.? can you use WIN500 to program it? So with that being said someone please talk me into laying out the money fo a TRX-1. And also the cheapest price that you know of. Thank you and sorry if I missed the post on this.

Both use a form of object oriented programming that Win500 won't handle. The TRX-1 uses their proprietary EZ-Scan (no third party software here), while the 436 uses Uniden's Sentinel (and ARC436 for other functions - see the FAQ linked at the bottom of this message.

I'm pretty sure both scanners come with their own cables. However Win10 does present some challenges - do a search in this forum (and in the GRE forum) for Win 10 issues, and look at the following from our wiki -

Connection Issues Under Win 10.x Using the WS-1080 / 1095 - The RadioReference Wiki

You don't 'import' frequencies like you do with Win500. As I understand it, you create 'favorites' from the RRDB which is supplied, and updated from, a SD card. You would probably benefit from reading the Easier to Read manual for the 436 (there isn't one for the TRX-1 yet, I don't think, although the basic operation seems close enough to the Whistler WS1080 that you could learn as much from that scanner's Easier to Read manual). You can find links to both at the bottom of their respective FAQs;

GRE/RS PC Object Oriented FAQ - The RadioReference Wiki

BCD436HP and BCD536HP Scanner FAQ - The RadioReference Wiki

Mike

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
Easiest to stick the SD card in your computer (if you don't have an SD Card slot a simple usb adapter is available for relatively cheap) and copy the programming to that via EZScan (it's called easy scan for a reason...it's pretty easy to figure out the software, despite some claiming otherwise). When finished you place it back in the scanner and bam, it loads your new programming. Simple.

wbswetnam

1. yes, 2. yes, 3. yes, and 4. I don't know, I haven't used that program.

RPETER

Thinking of buying a TRX-1

Yep. I wrestled with the same issue when comparing the two scanners. To me it seemed to be a toss up. I decided on the TRX-1 because I liked the way it looked. Not very scientific or logical but thats what motivated me to take out the credit card and make the order.

So far so good. I like the radio. I plugged it into our PC with the supplied cable and after a few moments it recognized the SD card and allowed me to download the EZscan program.

It has taken me a while to learn how the utilize the scanner and that will continue to be an ongoing process ---yes it's pricey but at least for now I feel I got my money's worth.

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
The TRX-1 is easier to operate, the 436HP has an overly complicated triple hold/scan system that can get crazy to figure out. The TRX-1 has clean audio at max volume, the 436HP will vibrate the speaker and chassis. The TRX-1 will force trunking talkgroups to be listed in the scanner by talkgroup ID number, you cannot sort them or arrange them in any fashion you wish, that's just what you are stuck with. The 436HP allows you to arrange trunked talkgroups in any order you want, so that channel 1B comes after 1A, where the TRX-1 1B may come after 3K...it's rather annoying if you have to search for something manually. The TRX-1 will run 10+ hours with screen light set to full time on scanning. The 436HP will eat it's three batteries in 6 1/2-7 hours tops even with the backlight off. The TRX-1 has no volume knob, that function is part of the four way menu selector on the front keypad, which if you press the wrong edge of it, will put you into object search, or resume scan. The knob on the TRX-1 controls squelch, the knob on the 436HP controls the volume and channel/menu scroll. The TRX-1 has no side buttons which the 436HP has. You may find that buttons on the side can be to easily pressed, causing unintended menu entry or function activation.

So I own both of these, really cannot stand the 436HP, love the TRX-1, but it is not perfect either. I tried to list the things that are most apparent to me, the type of things that made me think "I wish I had known that before I bought this' type of stuff you have to live with every day. :)

Paul

HOLEBILLY

also if you want to have a amplified speaker hooked up in a mobile, you will find that a amplified speaker does not work with the TRX1, cant speak for the 436 don't have one. Something I wish I knew before I got the TRX1.

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
I run a TRX-1 through the AUX input, AMPLIFIED, port on my van's car stereo, works very nicely.

Won't you brick a 436HP if you push a mono tip headphone or earpiece/speaker into the headphone jack? Thought I remember a warning about that a long time ago.

Paul

Joseph11

also if you want to have a amplified speaker hooked up in a mobile, you will find that a amplified speaker does not work with the TRX1, cant speak for the 436 don't have one. Something I wish I knew before I got the TRX1.

Why not? It has a regular 3.5mm headphone port that should work with any amplified speaker.

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber

I run a TRX-1 through the AUX input, AMPLIFIED, port on my van's car stereo, works very nicely.

Won't you brick a 436HP if you push a mono tip headphone or earpiece/speaker into the headphone jack? Thought I remember a warning about that a long time ago.

Paul

Why not? It has a regular 3.5mm headphone port that should work with any amplified speaker.

This is info from the Uniden 536 but it is what is being referred to here...here is an excerpt and then a link to read the full post/thread if desired. So, this is why an amplified speaker won't work, at least on the Uniden, despite the plug being the same size (it's what's inside that counts...). Are the Whistlers the same? I don't know...but here is what was mentioned/eluded to by you two:

There is a reason for this. As UPMAN has said, the external speaker output in the 536HP is not like it was in the older models - it uses a BTL amplifier arrangement - BTL stands for "Bridge Tied Load". In essence, it means that what amounts to two mono amps are fed together with one having an inverted signal relative to the other. Think of the difference between -3 and +3 as being a total of 6 (the BTL; don't confuse this with "adding" the two "out-of-phase" signals and getting a cancellation, 0, as what we are doing is dealing with the "total difference" between the two signals and using that) versus the difference between 0 and +3 being just 3 (as in "normal" single ended grounded shield amps). That "difference" is what counts in the end at the speaker. So, essentially what you get is a very powerful audio signal for driving a passive speaker. The problem is, that is ALL it was designed to drive! It was NOT designed with any intention of being connected to a single ended device (with the shield grounded as with most consumer amplifiers, PC soundcard inputs, etc.).

So what happens when you connect a BTL amp to a single ended amp or other input device (one that has the shield grounded as in most consumer electronic gear)? Well, you end up grounding out or "shorting" one side of that BTL signal. Depending on the design of the BTL amp, this will cause, at minimum, low audio and/or distorted audio and at worst permanent damage to the amp.

So how do you connect a BTL amp output to a single ended input like a PC soundcard or external amplifier? WHATEVER YOU DO you MUST make sure that NEITHER the "tip" (center conductor of the speaker jack) or "ring" (outer ring of the speaker jack) are in any way directly connected to ground!

http://forums.radioreference.com/un...er-connection-considerations-precautions.html

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
BTL? This may explain why my 536HP has no speaker or speaker jack audio, Ive hook it up to my PC in the past :-(

Paul

trp2525

Well I'm thinking of buying a TRX-1 (big $$$$$ for a radio i think)...And also the cheapest price that you know of...

Walmart currently has the TRX-1 for $449.98 with FREE shipping BUT they charge sales tax in the states that have sales tax: https://www.walmart.com/ip/WHISTLER-TRX-1-Handheld-DMR-MotoTRBO-TM-Digital-Trunking-Scanner/52817692

The Ham Station currently has the TRX-1 for $469.95 with FREE shipping and no sales tax: TRX-1 plus FREE shipping on this model and trx-2 - $469.95 : The Hamstation!, Your one stop on-line source for amateur radio fun.

Main Trading Company currently has the TRX-1 for $469.99 with FREE shipping and sales tax is charged only for orders shipping to Texas: Whistler TRX-1 Handheld Digital Police Scanner DMR P-25 I & II - Main Trading Company

The bottom line is if your state sales tax is 4.4% or lower the lowest total delivered price is from Walmart. If your state sales tax is 4.5% or higher your lowest total delivered price would be from one of the other two sellers (unless you are in Texas as noted above).

Keep an eye on this RR thread for any further updates for Cyber Monday and beyond: http://forums.radioreference.com/whistler-scanners/343418-whistler-trx-1-sale.html

sprite1741

I am also looking for a TRX-1. I have WS1040 and it is the best scanner I have ever owned. I just got a new BCD436hp and it does not scan as good as the 1040. It's missing transmissions that the 1040 gets. They are programmed the same and I have tried every setting with the Uniden. Also the internal speaker is distorted above half way. I can crank the 1040 with no problems. I just downloaded EZ scan for the TRX-1 and that program looks like a breeze compared to Sentinal which took me hours to get working right. The 436 is weak on UHF, I have a lot of background hiss. Even my $25 Baofeng outperforms it. If I order the TRX-1 will I be trading one problem for another? Any one tried both?

upsmannj

Thanks

Walmart currently has the TRX-1 for $449.98 with FREE shipping BUT they charge sales tax in the states that have sales tax: https://www.walmart.com/ip/WHISTLER-TRX-1-Handheld-DMR-MotoTRBO-TM-Digital-Trunking-Scanner/52817692

The Ham Station currently has the TRX-1 for $469.95 with FREE shipping and no sales tax: TRX-1 plus FREE shipping on this model and trx-2 - $469.95 : The Hamstation!, Your one stop on-line source for amateur radio fun.

Main Trading Company currently has the TRX-1 for $469.99 with FREE shipping and sales tax is charged only for orders shipping to Texas: Whistler TRX-1 Handheld Digital Police Scanner DMR P-25 I & II - Main Trading Company

The bottom line is if your state sales tax is 4.4% or lower the lowest total delivered price is from Walmart. If your state sales tax is 4.5% or higher your lowest total delivered price would be from one of the other two sellers (unless you are in Texas as noted above).

Keep an eye on this RR thread for any further updates for Cyber Monday and beyond: http://forums.radioreference.com/whistler-scanners/343418-whistler-trx-1-sale.html

Thanks there are some good prices here.

trp2525

Thanks there are some good prices here.

If anybody is serious about purchasing the TRX-1 and wants that $449.98 price from Walmart, I wouldn't hold off on pulling the trigger. Walmart's online prices can sometimes change abruptly.

Whistler's MSRP on the TRX-1 is $649.95 (https://whistlergroup.com/collections/scanner-radios). At $449.98 Walmart is selling the TRX-1 for about 31% off of MSRP which I would imagine has to be somewhere around dealer cost.

sprite1741

I am afraid of getting another dud. How is wal-mart on returns? I just want a scanner that scans properly, and sounds good. I have that with ws1040. The bcd436 fails. I am looking phase 2 to be ready for the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.