Thinking of buying BCD996P2

Status
Not open for further replies.

reddog2002

Trying to save a little on the price, if I bought the arc software is it some what easy to program? I would have one P25 system to start with and later add another one when I travel. I have a BCT8 I manage to get programmed with some difficultly. If I had gotten the software sooner it would have been a lot easier. Looks like I can update the DMR my self right? I would add the gps later down the road.
Thanks reddog.

SteveSimpkin

Premium Subscriber
You can save more money by using Freescan to program this scanner. Note it does not support DMR so if you pay for the DMR feature on this model, you will need to use something like ARC XT anyway. You can always buy ARC XT if you outgrow Freescan.
FreeSCAN - Sixspot Software

tumegpc

Premium Subscriber
Trying to save a little on the price, if I bought the arc software is it some what easy to program? I would have one P25 system to start with and later add another one when I travel. I have a BCT8 I manage to get programmed with some difficultly. If I had gotten the software sooner it would have been a lot easier. Looks like I can update the DMR my self right? I would add the gps later down the road.
Thanks reddog.

I like ProScan, its very easy to use and supports DMR. And yes you can update the DMR for the 996P2, you just need to make an account with Uniden and register your scanner. One you register there will be an option to purchase the DMR upgrade.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
It's about like anything new, challenging at first but can be done. There are many YouTube videos on how to program this model of scanner with different types of software. The Uniden 396 and 996 scanners program pretty much the same way for when you search for videos.

I've used ARC, FreeScan and Proscan. All are decent programs. Freescan is free and you have to pay for ARC and Proscan, though trial versions are available.

If you don't plan to program "lots" of things, the 996P2 would suit you well. However if you have major systems with lots of sites and talkgroups, then memory limitations may be an issue.

CanesFan95

Those are screenshots, but not a video. The latest release evidently did not address the issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.