Thinking Of Buying Modern Warefare The Video Game this Season?

Status
Not open for further replies.

poltergeisty

Truth is a force of nature
Think again.

Last week, some footage leaked from the upcoming Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2. Though it has since been taken down—with Activision claiming "copyright infringement"—the short video left a lasting impression. It depicted Russian terrorists gunning down what appeared to be innocent civilians in an airport. What made this scenario so shocking was that it wasn't a cut-scene, instead the player was actually controlling the carnage, forced to shoot civilians to proceed. You, as the player, will be given the opportunity to put noncombatants in the crosshairs and pull the trigger.

Killing innocents: a Marine's take on Modern Warfare 2 leak - Ars Technica

Now that the game is released we can see just what it was:

YouTube - Modern Warfare 2 "Airport Terrorists" Mission

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
I have a problem with today's graphics on the modern games such as halo,call of duty,etc.
After having spent two out of my six overseas in a anti-terrorist and embassy protection detail when in the army,I find that they just are NOT realistic enough. They all still have that "cartoon" like persona that just does not allow for real interaction with the game. Maybe that's my problem because it's ONLY a game. Hence,the reason I can't seem to derive any fun from it? Who knows. My ps 3 will continue to gather dust.
It hard to play the game,when it doesn't take you back I guess. I love chess,and darts! I guess I'll just stick to those. Sorry if I got off topic here.:roll:
73's!
N9ZAS

Last edited:

dracer777

Premium Subscriber
Wirelessly posted (MOT-QA30/00.72 UP.Browser/7.2.7.5.610 (GUI) MMP/2.0)

Try Crysis. Build yourself a..... $2500+ comp, you will need it. Crysis is by far the best looking game I have ever seen, the scenery is absolutely incredible. In my opinion, it looks better than real life. Not that it does look actually real, it's better than real. But everyone has their own opinion. Look up some HQ videos on youtube of the game.

kb2vxa

Banned
When the kids grow up they can join the military and kill innocent civilians for real like Lt. Calley at Mei Lai. Remember the 82nd, kill them all and let God sort them out. Don't forget to play the Green Beret song, watch a John Wayne or Sly Stallone movie and above all listen to Arlo Guthrie.

I want to kill, kill, KILL... eat dead burnt bodies, have veins and gore between my teeth... I want to kill, kill, KILL! So he patted me on the back, said you're our boy and sent me down the hall where I sat on the Group W bench...........

dracer777

Premium Subscriber
Wirelessly posted (MOT-QA30/00.72 UP.Browser/7.2.7.5.610 (GUI) MMP/2.0)

Are you being sarcastic or serious???

comp2x2

This scene disturbed me (I have seen my friend play it) but I want to clear something up: it's totally optional. In fact before the scene it says the next level some players may object to and it asks if you'd like to continue with the level or skip it. There is no consequence for skipping it. Even if you click that you want to play it, it asks you again, just to make sure.

I don't like the scene and I wish it wasn't something players actively participated in. It seems like the type of scene you'd sit back and watch the enemy do, and then it'd pump you up to go get that enemy after seeing them commit an atrocity.

dracer777

Premium Subscriber
"Are you being sarcastic or serious???"
That's for all of you to decide, once you understand my point.
I'm going to assume you were serious....

I think more importantly than preventing things like this in games is proper parenting. This is coming from a 17 yom. While if you actually enjoy the concept of slaughtering innocent civilians, it shows something is wrong.... (Other than shock factor that is).

Assuming you were being sarcastic.... Lawl.

I'm not quite sure what you were getting at, so sorry if i misunderstood.

datainmotion

Premium Subscriber
Much ado about nothing. Another "shoot-everything-that-moves" game with only so-so graphics. It's not like this is the first game in wide-release where the player can murder "civilians".

The real crime is that they are getting $60 a copy for it.

kb2vxa

Banned
Dracer, you are a walking contradiction. (;->)
"I'm not quite sure what you were getting at, so sorry if i misunderstood."
You still misunderstand and I don't expect it from 17yo so don't strain your brain, you'll get it when you're better equipped with a few more years of life's teaching experience under your belt.

Speaking to the wider audience, perhaps you've noticed these games have been around for decades desensitizing children to violence, evolving from shooting monsters to shooting people, then the military caught on and began using computer simulation for combat training. The latest development is the ROV killing by remote control often from a base thousands of miles away via satellite. Armed combat has been depersonalized, no longer does a soldier feel the anguish of his first kill nor is it likely he'll suffer from post traumatic shock syndrome, after all it's only a game where nobody shoots back.

Is a picture forming on your game console screen or am I talking to the wind? No, I don't expect a movement to ban such games but perhaps a better understanding of cause and effect. Dracer, you're a smart kid who can put the pieces of the puzzle together so there's hope for you yet. (;->)

dracer777

Premium Subscriber
Dracer, you are a walking contradiction.
Haha, and you don't even know me... You have no idea how much of a walking contradiction I am.... lol

Dracer, you're a smart kid who can put the pieces of the puzzle together so there's hope for you yet.
Maybe.... I do believe that we are being rapidly desensitized. A few examples are(and I know some who read this will want to jump down my throat for this, so be quiet. lol) sex, violence, drug abuse, and self infliction, among many others.

Homosexuals are now everywhere on TV, more so than straight couple on some channels.
Nudity is still not aloud on regular TV, however, if she has a stars covering her nipples, it's not nudity and is aloud.
And a rough statistic I heard awhile ago, is that most people before age 18, have seen 2,000+ murders(I think it's more, but I don't want to exaggerate.
As long as "safe-sex" is practiced, it is OK.
And music promotes all of it with very little to no regulation on how bad it can actually get.

But mention God and "OMFG! Ban it!" (I know I'll probably get flamed for that too, get over it.... and don't tell me to get over it)

We have become numb to the things around us. The once despicable things that were once offenses that led to the death sentence are normal occurances.

While I do play some very disturbing and violent games, I also have common sense to not pick up a gun and start shooting if my dad pisses me off.

I do listen to terrible music, but I also understand that sex out of marriage is bad.

While games do have an effect on me, I still have not lost sight of common sense. What makes me different? Probably seeing my parents F up and just being an overall observant person. And possibly what my parents have attempted to teach me. There are many other things that can set a person apart, but those are mine. And yes, I have had a hard life, and have seen horrible things done, and have had a sucky family, and have had things done to me. So it is not because I'm "the perfect child with the perfect childhood."

XTS3000

MW2 is a great shooter. The graphics are very good, very realistic. Gameplay is easy to learn, but a very fast paced shooter - no time to "explore" around. I played the airport scene, you don't have to shoot any inocent civilians, just the security guys.

Guarenteed this will be a #1 top seller, on par with Halo 3/ODST and GOW (1&2).

kb2vxa

Banned
"Homosexuals are now everywhere on TV, more so than straight couple on some channels."
Uh, that's a sticky subject and a problem for some people but it really has nothing to do with the subject or the sidebar we briefly got into.

"I played the airport scene, you don't have to shoot any innocent civilians, just the security guys."
Rather like Grand Theft Auto and others like it where someone plays the devil's advocate, the good guy vs. bad guy scenario and someone's always the bad guy either part of the programming or another player.

"Guaranteed this will be a #1 top seller, on par with Halo 3/ODST and GOW (1&2)."
Oh yeah, they're pushing the heck out of it on TV and "everyone" loves video violence, it's not Hello Kitty by a long shot (sic).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IIZI7IrJOLY

Hmmm, I'm wondering when it'll show up on South Park like Cartman and his Wii. (;->)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.