Thinking of getting a portable scanner; questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

omaharichard

I was thinking of getting a Uniden Bearcat BC72XLT Scanner, but want to make sure it would work to listen to the Omaha Police frequency like I listen to through the live internet feed. What frequency would I have to set it to so I could hear it?

Also, what are the opinions on that scanner as my first?

SCPD

QRT
You will need a scanner the will do both P25 trunking and support for rebanding.
Uniden BD296D, BCD396T or BCD396XT(latest model).
Radio shack Pro96 and Pro106(latest model).
GREcom PSR500.
This is the system that Omaha police and the rest of Douglas county fire and police use.
Nebraska Wireless Interoperable Network (N-WIN) / Omaha Regional Interoperability Network (ORION) Trunking System, Omaha, Multi-State - Scanner Frequencies
You will need to program the control channels (blue and red) frequencies into the scanner and the talkgroups you want to listen to.
If you get a scanner before April 26 the Omaha scanner club is having a meeting. One of us should be able to help you with programming. If you don't get a scanner by then come join us anyways. That way you can hear the scanners in person.

omaharichard

Holy moly those are expensive. Isn't there something a bit cheaper for starters so I don't have to spend $500+?

Where is the club going to be held at?

SCPD

QRT
Look for used scanners on ebay or here in the classifieds.
The meeting will be at...
Chalco Hills Recreation Area (in the Natural Resource Center) 156/Giles.

The meeting will start at 6:30PM & end by 9:00PM, and anybody can attend.

omaharichard

Are there any good scanners that would work on the OPD frequency that would be better in my car? That's mainly where I want it right now. I don't think I need a portable, unless there isn't much of a difference in price, then it doesn't really matter. I kind of want to bolt it down to the center console area of my car.

SCPD

QRT
Holy moly those are expensive. Isn't there something a bit cheaper for starters so I don't have to spend $500+?

Where is the club going to be held at?
Yes they are! I paid the full amount for the one broadcasting OPD and bought a second one for personal use (now you know why I always ask for donations). Too bad they cost an arm and leg!!

N9WHM: What day is the meeting? Working security, my hours just got changed to Friday, Saturday, and Sunday... so I'm looking for some scanning fun! What are the meeting about also?

SCPD

QRT
N9WHM: What day is the meeting? Working security, my hours just got changed to Friday, Saturday, and Sunday... so I'm looking for some scanning fun! What are the meeting about also?
April 26 its a monday. If you can make that would be great. Some people who show up do live streaming.

SCPD

QRT
April 26 its a monday. If you can make that would be great. Some people who show up do live streaming.
Sounds like a plan to me! I'll bring my other scanner (not one broadcasting OPD) so I can learn more about it (RS PRO-106)

SCPD

QRT
Are there any good scanners that would work on the OPD frequency that would be better in my car? That's mainly where I want it right now. I don't think I need a portable, unless there isn't much of a difference in price, then it doesn't really matter. I kind of want to bolt it down to the center console area of my car.
There are mobile/base scanners.
Uniden BC796D, BCD996T, BCD996XT(latest model)
Radio shack Pro2096 and pro197.
GRE psr600
For mobiles I really like the uniden 996s. They have a lot more memory and the memory is laid out better, uses systems instead of banks.

Status
Not open for further replies.