• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Thinking of getting a second Unication....

Status
Not open for further replies.

AdamHLG

So who has more than one Unication? At times when locked onto an interesting incident find myself wanting to monitor a second channel but do not want to miss a transmission on the channel I am already locked upon. For example a medical call where I'll want to wait for and monitor a hospital consult. Other times I'll want to generally monitor a system but would also like to simultaneously monitor the PD response. Even with the upcoming beta there are times that I will want to monitor 2 systems simultaneously. The idea sounded crazy at first but now I am thinking of a second G5, but this time the VHF model to spread out my listening options. I can't be the only one considering this option. For those that pulled the trigger, has it changed your monitoring habits or does the second unit sit on a shelf?

belvdr

No longer interested in living
Many people do this with scanners, so I don't see anything strange about multiple Unication pagers.

mdsxfire

EDBM
So who has more than one Unication? At times when locked onto an interesting incident find myself wanting to monitor a second channel but do not want to miss a transmission on the channel I am already locked upon. For example a medical call where I'll want to wait for and monitor a hospital consult. Other times I'll want to generally monitor a system but would also like to simultaneously monitor the PD response. Even with the upcoming beta there are times that I will want to monitor 2 systems simultaneously. The idea sounded crazy at first but now I am thinking of a second G5, but this time the VHF model to spread out my listening options. I can't be the only one considering this option. For those that pulled the trigger, has it changed your monitoring habits or does the second unit sit on a shelf?
I have two and it’s definitely much easier monitoring the 2 county systems, as u said even with the beta system scanning u will miss transmission either because it’s locked on the wrong system or getting the CC for the next one, I can’t wait to get a copy of it but having 2 pagers is definitely worth it

DanRollman

Database Admin
So who has more than one Unication? At times when locked onto an interesting incident find myself wanting to monitor a second channel but do not want to miss a transmission on the channel I am already locked upon.

Anyone using the 'tow truck mount' (TOW TRUCK SOLUTION) clearly has more than one Unication pager. That's a way to monitor up to 6 things simultaneously, with a unified power source but separate antenna and speaker outputs and separate volume controls. Of course, you also get to 'separate' from quite a bit of your money.

I have one Unication G5, but I also have 2 KNG-P800 radios and 1 KNG2-P800 radios. Yes, sometimes all 4 are going. As others have said, the idea of using multiple scanners simultaneously is not new, so the idea of using several professional grade receivers simultaneously isn't particularly novel either. If you can afford it, and your ears can tolerate it, it's the best way to listen to a lot of activity at once.

Uni1

Unication Representative
Premium Subscriber
Most of the actual Tow Truck guys have single TGID per pager knob position so overall traffic is low. I have one set on six different cities with all PD and FD TGID's. It is pretty much non stop.
TT1_resize.jpg

Synchro39

Premium Subscriber
me too i am looking for my second one this time i will get a G2 400-470mhz with DRM upgrade and i aleready have a G5 waiting on avail from my dealer

6Paul21

Premium Subscriber
Great idea, I have four and use them all on the same Fire Department. I use one in the car on dispatch, one on dispatch when out and about and two on the tac channels for on the go. All are programmed the same using two zones. I have tried these radios every where that I had no signal on the scanners and received perfect every where.

Ed

APX8000

Sarcastic Member
Or they could just make a mobile version of the G5. I brought this up several years ago and called it the “G6.” All Uni would have to do is make a din sized case and move the knobs to the front, speaker to the right of the display and antenna and power to the rear. I could almost guarantee it would sell a lot better than the tow truck mount that no one is mounting in their vehicle console.

radio3353

I started with a G4 for my county's simulcast system. Excellent choice.

A year later I added a G5 with VHF to monitor my state's statewide system that makes use of VHF and 800 MHz repeaters. Again an excellent choice. I am a happy camper to leave behind my consumer scanners.

floridafuzz

Just got my G5 a couple of weeks ago. It puts all of my other scanners to shame. It can lock on to the control channel in all 4 zones of the RISCON system from my location at home. Coms are clear and complete. It doesn't miss a beat. I learned how to program it myself. Thinking of getting another G5 with the VHF/700/800 band this time so I can hear VHF transmissions. Started of with the 450-512/700/800 G5. Still a couple of more days to get the 5 year extended warranty and also save a little with the promo code. Maybe tomorrow will be the day.
I know I have said it before but thanks to all that recommended the G5 and also answered my questions.

tunnelmot

Premium Subscriber
That setup has Houston wrecker written all over it! I did get to check out the TTS at Kevins(Command). Pretty nice piece of gear.

Uni1

Unication Representative
Premium Subscriber
How would one mobile device replace 6 pagers? The goal of the TT rack is to not have any TGID talking over another. You would need six mobile devices to accomplish the same thing.

APX8000

Sarcastic Member
Let’s not misquote what I said. I never said one mobile would replace six pagers all parked on one talk group. I was commenting on the fact of how many actual Unication users are mounting that in a vehicle besides your tow truck people. I see no use of that in a mobile platform for public safety let alone scanner enthusiasts. Therefore, you are limiting your market potential...which I also previously mentioned to you guys. A mobile version of your pager would get a ton more sales.

Status
Not open for further replies.