Thinking of going Yaesu

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlphaFive

My mission, locate receiver under $500--must have am fm nbfm wbfm-, looking for reception down into kHz and up as close to 3000 MHz as possible. After a long amount of research, rooting around ICOM, AOR, GRUNDIG, SONY and countless others, the VR5000 looks to have the most bang for my limited buck. I have read much regarding the front end filter problems, I am willing to risk it. If anyone knows of an item that gives as much as the Yaesu, for so little, let me know, I'm listening. Thank You

prcguy

I have a VR5000 and yes it does do a lot of things but none of them very well. Its fairly sensitive on VHF/UHF but at the expense of being easily overloaded with an outside antenna like a simple Discone.

HF is also fairly sensitive with similar overload problems and there is only one SSB filter which seems a bit too wide. Listening to HF SSB on this receiver for any length of time is very fatiguing. I will probably offer mine for sale soon since I have other radios that perform better although they are not combo HF/VHF/UHF radios.
prcguy

My mission, locate receiver under $500--must have am fm nbfm wbfm-, looking for reception down into kHz and up as close to 3000 MHz as possible. After a long amount of research, rooting around ICOM, AOR, GRUNDIG, SONY and countless others, the VR5000 looks to have the most bang for my limited buck. I have read much regarding the front end filter problems, I am willing to risk it. If anyone knows of an item that gives as much as the Yaesu, for so little, let me know, I'm listening. Thank You

Turbo68

Hi i had the same problems with my Yaesu-VR5000 it over loaded with my Icom-AH7000 Discone and my custome made Polar-214A Airband Dipole even on hf use to do the same thing and got rid of it for that money there is better receivers on the second hand market do have other receivers but none have any over loading problems with any antenna..

Regards Lino..

AlphaFive

Yaesu

Thank you all, one question regarding the DSP option, did it help in any way? Or is the filter problem too large to solve? I don't have enough technical skills to understand how and if a digital filter would be effective on a VR5000. Thank You again, take care

prcguy

I don't have the DSP option, but its an audio DSP and would have no effect on front end/mixer overload problems. I suspect it does make for more pleasant listening when the receiver is behaving.
prcguy

Thank you all, one question regarding the DSP option, did it help in any way? Or is the filter problem too large to solve? I don't have enough technical skills to understand how and if a digital filter would be effective on a VR5000. Thank You again, take care

AlphaFive

Yaesu

Ahhhhh, I see now says the non-sighted man. This is why I appreciate R.R. so much. I have questions that an average person wouldn't begin to understand, and yet I find answers. Danke sehen, and take care

majoco

Stirrer
I have a VR5k which goes very well, fortunately I am not in a high signal area so don't suffer from front-end problems. My main problem now is the display - missing lines both vertically and horizontally. Others are having the same problem - see the Yahoo forum. There seems to be no fix other than spend lots of dollars sending it back to Yaesu for a new display.

AlphaFive

Yaesu

Yes, I have seen references that indicated when a low amount of band usage is present, the problem does lessen. Unfortunately, or maybe not, I live at a high elevation, so although locally the bands may not be extremely busy, with an average discone it is not difficult to listen to systems 50 miles distant. Which means I end up with a lot of traffic, even systems doubling up on the same assigned frequency. Well such is life, I did like a Wiki reference in the VR 5000, it said something like, this was a valiant attempt at a great idea, and if the radio had worked properly, it would have been one of the greatest ever. Probably true. Take care of yerselves..

Status
Not open for further replies.