Thinking of trading My Pr0-106 for a PSR800

Status
Not open for further replies.

himelrick

I have been thinking of trying to trade My 106 for a 800. What are Your thoughts on trying to do this ? would the 800 be a better choice as I travel a lot for My Job, and would it be easier to program the 800 on the fly ? I travel mostly in WV, Ohio, PA, and Virginia. Any thoughts and or tips where I might pick up a 800 would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Rick

i had used my GRE-800 in my car till i got a Pro-197 now my GRE-800 is my base scanner works good most of the time i did not like the battery life so this is why its my base scanner.

Scrapline

I have two PRO106's and a PSR800. I believe that my 106's out perform my 800 by far. I believe both radios are battery eaters. Lower listening volumes help. It also seems that the 800 takes longer to charge when charging batteries in radio vs. the 106. I do get better run times by charging the batteries out of radio but I don't always have the time to switch out batteries for charging (such as when I'm mobile, I have automotive charging hardware for both radios wired directly to my vehicle as well as an amplified speaker). As you mentioned the 800 would be Convenient for travel but I believe the 106 is a much better radio for reception. I'm still learning the ins & outs of the 800 I've found that I can have both radios scanning side by side with the same programming and hands down the 106 is the better performer. I've tried about all the antennas that I have even both radios with the same type antenna and the 106 picks up twice as many transmissions as the 800. You might think about becoming a premium subscriber, use the appropriate hardware/software and pre program the 106 for the areas you plan to visit. There's a lot of room in the 106 for programming! One feature that would be nice in the 106 would be the ability to record transmissions but so far what I have recorded with the 800 that doesn't count for much as most transmissions are pretty short judging by my findings but as I stated I'm still learning the 800. I Guess one advantage of the 800 is it's ability to receive most of the newer transmission types out there today but in my area I don't require that advanced feature. If I were to travel somewhere I would most likely have both radios with me anyway. I guess there's a lot of pros and cons to both, the choice is yours to make. I hope my input helps you in some way. One last thought might be, it's tax refund time if you're fortunate enough to get a refund try picking up a PSR800 (from eBay) try it out for yourself and make your own choice. If you like one radio better than the other turn around and sell the radio you don't like.

fredva

Feed Provider
One thing that would not be easier to do when driving is switching playlists/scanlists, since the 800 is menu driven. Just FYI.

Status
Not open for further replies.