• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Quansheng Third Party Firmware for UV-K6

dwh367

Amateur Radio Operator
What is the best firmware for Civilian and Military airbands for the Quansheng UV-K6?

B.S.
Unfortunately there's not going to be a definitive answer unless someone goes through the time and trouble of trying every firmware available, using a signal generator, and documenting the results to YouTube . Otherwise others are going to claim that whatever firmware version they are using is the best.

Last edited:

Blackswan73

I have watched a video of a comparison between IJV and Egzumer, I just wondered if there is one specifically geared towards the AM aviation bands

B.S.

WSBB519

Premium Subscriber
I recently purchased a Quansheng K6. I am using a runoff of the egzumer....it's F4H..... I cannot remember the rest of it. It has an "AM fix" on it, and I noticed an improvement in the air bands with that firmware and a designated air band antenna. let it be noted though that CHIRP does not recognize this firmware and will not allow it to be used with CHIRP. I have had no issues though with the Quansheng programming software and this third-party firmware. Fun little radio.

Blackswan73

Thank you. I will check it out. I haven’t played with it yet. I am working on another project and on weekends I am usually pirate hunting with my Drake R8, my new favorite shortwave receiver. Also since it’s getting warmer, I want to put my 40m t2fd back up. I moved last year and I haven’t gotten everything fully set up yet. I haven’t even unpacked all my radios yet. But I plan to check out my K-6 next week and I definitely purchased it mainly for am airbands. I have plenty of HF radios, so I don’t really care about extended range into the HF bands. My Bluetail doesn’t handle am mode well, hence the K-6

B.S.

merlin

My UV-K5(8) does the full mil-air spectrum out of the box, I go back and forth between IJV and stock.
IJV will give you 15 meters and up. Works best from 70 MHz and up to 600 MHz.
Secret menu gets You up to 70 menu functions.
Another mod has spectrum scope with a ton of features.
Just play with it, they can't be bricked, but you do need a tri band or better antenna.

Last edited:

WSBB519

Premium Subscriber
My UV-K5(8) does the full mil-air spectrum out of the box, I go back and forth between IJV and stock.
IJV will give you 15 meters and up. Works best from 70 MHz and up to 600 MHz.
Secret menu gets You up to 70 menu functions.
Another mod has spectrum scope with a ton of features.
Just play with it, they can't be bricked, but you do need a tri band or better antenna.
Merlin, I have been reading a lot of your posts on this radio. You seem to really have this thing figured out. Have you figured out how to modify the frequency ranges in the different band banks? Sorry OP, not trying to take over your thread.

jpb

Premium Subscriber
I started out with Egzumer, then switched to the AubsUK fork of Egzumer to get 10 scan lists. You need to load the Python scripts for each firmware as a module in CHIRP so the software will be able to program it. See the readme for each to see the instructions to do it.

merlin

Merlin, I have been reading a lot of your posts on this radio. You seem to really have this thing figured out. Have you figured out how to modify the frequency ranges in the different band banks? Sorry OP, not trying to take over your thread.
All the frequency ranges are contiguous from 70 MHz (band 1) to 599.999 MHz (band 7)
If you set the step to 25.0KHz, Start frequency scan from 70 MHz, it will go to 600.000 MHz. Scan will stop on CSQ then resume after mute time.
The only comparison to 'banks' are the two memory channel banks, You can scan bank1, 2, or both.
The IJV mod takes the radio from 20 MHz to 1300.000 MHz + however the radio starts losing a little sensitivity above 950 MHz.
Yes, it transmits too, why you have to be carefull not TXing on any bad frequencies.
Makes a dandy QRP rig 15 meters to 23 Cm, AM, FM, SSB, CW.

Turboninja64

I've been testing with ntoivola's fork of kamilsss655 which in turn is a fork of eguzmer.
It enables 15 scanlists with the ability to scan single, multiple or all lists. Especially attractive for me is auto support for mixed AM/FM and different bandwidths in the spectrum scan mode.
GitHub - ntoivola/uv-k5-firmware-custom-nunu: Open re-implementation of the Quansheng UV-K5 firmware
Could you tell me (or provide a link) where I can download this firmware? I've downloaded the zip file from the link in your previous post. But it doesn't contain the bin file that I expected. Thanks

Turboninja64

It is not hard to find GOOGLE is you friend as is YOUTUBE.
I have literally spent hours on Google, YouTube and GitHub last night and today searching. PLEASE prove me wrong. Pictured is the only download I could find (circled in red). But the only bin files are not working in UVTools or K5prog.

Attachments

• PXL_20240609_025517811~2.jpg
    PXL_20240609_025517811~2.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:

Turboninja64

Go to this YouTube video, watch it then click on the links right below the video to get firmware and a website that will install it for you. It takes about 30 seconds to get the firmware and to install it.

This video and instruction would work great if I were installing IJV firmware. I've installed several firmwares in the past. And am fairly familiar with the process. The issues I am having are with ntoivola firmware specifically. That is why I was hoping to receive a direct link to the download. And not just general instructions. Thanks for the reply though. And I'm open to other solutions also.

prcguy

Premium Subscriber
This video and instruction would work great if I were installing IJV firmware. I've installed several firmwares in the past. And am fairly familiar with the process. The issues I am having are with ntoivola firmware specifically. That is why I was hoping to receive a direct link to the download. And not just general instructions. Thanks for the reply though. And I'm open to other solutions also.
I’ve only done IJV, sorry.

gofasters4

Could you tell me (or provide a link) where I can download this firmware? I've downloaded the zip file from the link in your previous post. But it doesn't contain the bin file that I expected. Thanks
There does not seem to be any binaries in the repository. I had to build it. Since I already have Docker running and git installed, it was painless with the provided scripts for Windows/Linux/Mac.
Building with Docker