This is like Brain Surgery Setting Up My new 536 the way i want!

Status
Not open for further replies.

saboken

Premium Subscriber
I tell ya getting my new 536 programmed the way i want it has been a real Task! I thought running a copy of Proscan For each and try to copy the settings from the 996 to the 536 as close as possible would be strait forward but since Uniden changed everything the 996 Group #s and System #s on the screen then the 536 shows Favorite #s and System #s on the screen! in know its just a different way of setting it up but boy when you get older and your memory is fading this has me pulling my hair out!!!! i realy wish they had a way to export the setting from one to the other! i know this is impossible because of how the database is setup in the 2 Scanners. i'm printing the 536 version of "Marks Easier to use Manual" right now. I have a copy of the 996 version it realy helped for that unit but dam. I don't want to pay someone to program it I was a Network Admin (Retired) and this should be easy but as i said Age hasn't been on my side with Memory! I i'm not asking for help just venting! there has to be a easier way! I don't know if i should use Proscan and Sentinel, or Sentinel and ARC, or what combination of available software to get this thing the way I want?

Last edited:

jasonhouk

Look at it as a different hierarchy.

996 uses site or system/department quick keys.

X36 uses Favorites list/System/Department & Site quick keys.

I personally export all my 996 systems from ProScan to HPE files. Then import them into Sentinel for quick key minipulation for the X36 & SDS100.

Houk

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Last edited:

AlphaFive

understood

Believe me, you have company. I went from using nothing but Radio Shack, GRE, systems since the 1970's to having my first Uniden be the 536 HP. It was an adjustment, in general terms only, going from basically working off one long list, to learning a system that had one function inside of one function, inside of another function, inside of another one. I likened it to exploring a cave and following a guide line as one path split off from another and so on. I have to admit, once I adjusted to diving deep, and then backing out of each function systematically, I have come to like it best, in comparison to Radio Shack, GRE, Whistler. Although those systems function well and have their benefits.

DJ11DLN

I find the X36 system programming to be less than intuitive as well. I basically just use my 436 with the GPS puck when I go on a drive out of my home area. And it performs that function pretty well. For everything else, I tend to prefer the GRE-pattern equipment as I just find it more intuitive and thus easier to program and wind up with the results I want.

phask

Premium Subscriber
If still getting nowhere...

Make sure you have the appropriate service types on. For starters into Profile and turn ALL of them on. You can always be more selective.

You can also export as a Hpe file, rename the extension to .txt and post here.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
As with most any kind of new software, it takes some time to learn the ins and outs.

Arc/Butel software says they can take 996 files and convert to x36, but I've not had too much luck. Rather I just used Sentinel to start from scratch. It forced me to learn Sentinel, for better or worse.

The main differences between 996 and x36 Service Type fields and the addition of Favorites Lists. If you look at a system as a container for multiple departments/groups, look at the newly added Favorites Lists as a bigger container for multiple systems (and thus departments, etc.)

Using Sentinel may be better at first rather than ProScan. The full, updated, database is right at your fingertips, rather than having to log on to RR as a premium subscriber.

saboken

Premium Subscriber
So Many Changes

I don't know why they changed so much some are little things Like Lock Out is now Avoid, but they removed the weather "WX" button it was nice to activate weather only Monitoring using the S.A.M.E codes with one Button I know your supposed to press Function and 5 to activated the weather but it doesn't work for me yet I'm still trying to figure out what i'm doing wrong???

saboken

Premium Subscriber
none of these work for me i checked Marks guide and the Official manual and it just doesn't work

Number keys

• Press Func then 1, 2, or 3 to enable search keys in Hold mode.
• Press Func then 4(ATT) to toggle channel/search/CC attenuation on/off
in Hold mode.
• Press Func then press and hold 4(ATT) to toggle Global Attenuation on/
off in Hold mode.
• Press Func then 5( ) to enter Wi-Fi menu (BCD536HP Only).

• Press Func then 6(wx) to toggle Weather Alert Priority in Hold modes.
• Press Func then press and hold 6(wx) to enter Weather Scan.
• Press Func then 7(IFX) to toggle intermediate frequency exchange for a
channel/frequency in Hold modes.
• Press Func then press and hold 8(REV) to view the repeater frequency
in Search mode.
• Press Func then 9(DISP) to toggle 3 Lline Display mode on/off in Scan
Hold mode.
• Press Func then 0(LVL) to toggle the volume offset for a channel in Scan
Hold mode

none of the Function then Anything on the Number pad does anything what am i missing???

saboken

Premium Subscriber
none of these work for me i checked Marks guide and the Official manual and it just doesn't work

Number keys

• Press Func then 1, 2, or 3 to enable search keys in Hold mode.
• Press Func then 4(ATT) to toggle channel/search/CC attenuation on/off
in Hold mode.
• Press Func then press and hold 4(ATT) to toggle Global Attenuation on/
off in Hold mode.
• Press Func then 5( ) to enter Wi-Fi menu (BCD536HP Only).

• Press Func then 6(wx) to toggle Weather Alert Priority in Hold modes.
• Press Func then press and hold 6(wx) to enter Weather Scan.
• Press Func then 7(IFX) to toggle intermediate frequency exchange for a
channel/frequency in Hold modes.
• Press Func then press and hold 8(REV) to view the repeater frequency
in Search mode.
• Press Func then 9(DISP) to toggle 3 Lline Display mode on/off in Scan
Hold mode.
• Press Func then 0(LVL) to toggle the volume offset for a channel in Scan
Hold mode

none of the Function then Anything on the Number pad does anything what am i missing???
i figured it out you have to press Channel to hold first but the hold is temporary??? unless you hit it again? boy they sure made it complicated compared to the 996

rcool101

Feed Provider
You must be in hold mode and not actively scanning. Press the channel button while scanning and you will hold...Press the Func once. Do not hold it in. Then press any number on keypad..I see you figured it out..The small things are easily overlooked

Last edited:

saboken

Premium Subscriber
I just figured it out but it doesn't give access to the S.A..M.E scan like the 996 i still have to go to the menu for that ;( the 996 it was easy to switch between WX alert scan and regular scanning with one button.all i had to do was hold the WX button wait then press it again and pick Alert only or a SAME that i had in it. and to scan just hit scan/search. the 536 could probably do this but its like Uniden thew all the rules out the window with the 536

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
436HP As Bank Scanner

After several years of daily profanity, I finally learned how to program my 436HP like I prefer. Yes, I am a bit old-fashioned. I like to toggle things on and off. So, I have programmed the radio like a banked scanner. At present, I have around 65 Favorites. I control the download of these via the profiles I've setup. Although I own Butel software, I rarely use it because Sentinel works better for me.

In order to assist in quickly finding a Favorite, I place a bracketed number of the Favorite alpha tag as follows:

Attachments

• Small Favorites.jpg
    Small Favorites.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 357
Last edited:

rcool101

Feed Provider
I do the same with my 436, 536, and SDS100. Every system in its own Favorite list with a Quick Key. Just like a 396 or 996

Ubbe

I set Number Tags exactly the same as QKs to not add confusion as the scanner uses one or the other depending of what mode of state the scanner has.

/Ubbe

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
I do the same thing. When I tried to use the Configuration QK or whatever it is, my head exploded. Once I left those little boys alone, things started to click.

I have tried to program a 996 and 325P2 without much success. I could not and still cannot wrap my mind around how this is done. Here is the bottom line. I don't want to learn since I don't own one. I once attempted to assist someone from my listening area with the 325P2, but never again, LOL.

saboken

Premium Subscriber
I Gave Up and Returned it/ :(

I finally gave up and sent it back while is still could. maybe something better will come out later I just going to deal with my 996 for now. I usually like a challenge but this is just to much. having vision issues and memory problems maybe i may break down a pay a company to Program the next one? so I'm back to the BCD996

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
I finally gave up and sent it back while is still could. maybe something better will come out later I just going to deal with my 996 for now. I usually like a challenge but this is just to much. having vision issues and memory problems maybe i may break down a pay a company to Program the next one? so I'm back to the BCD996

Don't give up! Just take a break. I did the same thing over a year ago with the 436, just couldn't grasp it, sent it back to Scanner Master for refund. Then, I got mad at myself and was determined to conquer digital scanning (I am in my 60s, too) so I went out and bought 3 at the same time - bc536, ws1065, and the TRX-1 - and tackled them all one week after another. A great guy on here, troymail, (recently a silent key) helped me with all three until I understood them. We would trade programmed files back and forth via email, chat on the phone, PM here, whatever it took and he hung with me till I had it down. God's got a real fine programmer up there, I tell ya. Rest in peace, buddy.

Long story short, try not to get so frustrated and give it a rest and come back to it. You won't regret it and like anything else once you learn it you will kick yourself for being so confused. I now love digital scanning and recently got the SDS100, which was so easy because I basically transferred the programming I had for the 536 over to an SDS profile and it was done. The programming these guys are explaining - turning on/off Quick keys just like banks on older scanners and putting the QK number in the name - that is exactly how I do it on all my digital scanners. Works like a charm!

Hang in there! You'll get it :)

JD
kf4anc

PS: just reread your post and saw you had already returned the radio. That's ok, save the money and buy it again after you take a break ;)

Last edited:

saboken

Premium Subscriber
I already packed it up and dropped it off at a UPS store, I might do what you did any buy it later but for now my brain hurts from it lol I think one it the issues is I have always had a mild form of ADHD and with memory loss from getting older I think it makes it harder to deal with? At one time ADHD worked in my favor like when I used to run a 100 node BBS and write my own doors and batch files (those were the days) but if I even look at a copy of Wildcat today it would probably give em a Migraine! What's can you do it's part of life.

Status
Not open for further replies.