This is so confusing??!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

AngeloCosma

Sorry for the topic title but I am really frustrated, as you can see by the post time I have been working with this for a long time now, I have the Radio Shack Pro 96 Scanner with the Win 96 software and all I want to do Is pick up the CHP and LAPD since where I live Orange County, in the city of Santa Ana is all encrypted, can somebody please take the time to either point me to a step by step guide of how to program the unit with the software of to do it by hand, and also how to find out the talk group and freq's for the different agencies? Thanks I really appreciate any help out there, Thanks Again.

Angelo Cosma

seamusg

Sorry for the topic title but I am really frustrated, as you can see by the post time I have been working with this for a long time now, I have the Radio Shack Pro 96 Scanner with the Win 96 software and all I want to do Is pick up the CHP and LAPD since where I live Orange County, in the city of Santa Ana is all encrypted, can somebody please take the time to either point me to a step by step guide of how to program the unit with the software of to do it by hand, and also how to find out the talk group and freq's for the different agencies? Thanks I really appreciate any help out there, Thanks Again.

Angelo Cosma
The first place to start is the Database here, just click on the database tab at the top of the page, then your state and county. Next step is to goto the WIKI and read how to program with WIN96 including how to import (download) the data from this site:http://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/Win96
I can't give any info on Ca, I'm too far away, but the database is very good. Good luck and welcome to the site.

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
Orange County CA

Hello.
Regarding the CHP, you are currently in luck, as they are still using analog radios. Go here to read more: http://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?aid=995

The biggest issue with receiving the CHP for most people is that they do not use a good antenna. Don't expect the rubber antenna that came with your scanner to receive all CHP traffic. Because of the frequencies they use, it typically requires a larger (outdoor) antenna. However most cars are 'repeated' on the dispatch frequencies in your area. It depends on the exact channel (named by color) you want to receive.

For Los Angeles, try here: http://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?ctid=201

KMA367

Premium Subscriber
Hello.
Regarding the CHP, you are currently in luck

...all I want to do Is pick up the CHP and LAPD

LAPD is just as simple, since they're conventional and repeatered. No talkgroups to worry about. Only "difference" is that they're digital, so just be sure that you use the FM mode for them, not MOT, ED, AM etc. Manual programming is the way it's been done for years... just hit the PGM button first ("P" displays in the upper left corner) and go to the memory/channel you want to use. Or download from the RR database if you've got the software, cable, and subscription.

LAPD's dispatch frequencies are always in repeater mode, but the tactical and so-called "simplex" divisional tac frequencies are used either simplex or duplex, usually at the officers' discretion.

Status
Not open for further replies.