This is very cool

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dispatrick

Premium Subscriber
I usually sit on my deck and listen to my portable with a extendeding antenna and watch the planes flying into newark intl. and I realized a very strange thing. I was trying to listen to atlantic city NOAA on my radio and a plane flew over and the signal strength immedieatly increased. at first i didnt realize what had happened. then another plane went over and the signal strenght increased again. I realised that when planes fly overhead i can pick up more on my radio then i can when there not. where i live a plane is always in the sky either from newark or teterboro or lagraudia. i also noticed that the size and altitude of the plane also affect what i can pick up. a 747 went over about 3000ft I could hear everything. and a smaller size plane went over and i could pick up alot but not as much. has anyone else ever expierenced this?

mancow

Database Admin
I never experienced it but I always wondered about it. I guess you just answered that question.

That's neat as hell.

kb5udf

Premium Subscriber
Similar

I can recall a few instances when living near a hospital, their low flying Helo
would cause ghosting on 481 mhz (TV channel 16) with rabbit ears. So, apparently,
the 'ghosts' were functioning as a crude radar detecting reflected TV signal from the
helo.

N

N_Jay

Big reflectors in the sky.

No mystery.

We used to use the approach to LAX (since there is ALWAYS a few planes there) as a reflector for 10 GHz experiments.

N

N_Jay

eorange said:
I bet you own a green laser pointer too! ;)

LOL, nope.

Just a regular red pointer AAAA battery kind.

We were doing REAL communications experiments.

Ham stuff, not lame hacker stuff.

roadranger

fox hunt anyone?

I heard a story through our local club about an event called a "Fox Hunt". It's a game where, someone hides a low power transmitter, and a group of people race to find it in teams. Well, turns out that it really was hard to find, yet easy to hear the carrier, and morse code, that IDed once in a while. Anyway, the "fox" was hidden under a water tower, and a nut was wise enough to point a Yagi "beam" antenna at the base of the tank, (seated at the top of the tower) and the signal radiated in all directions!

nexus

yeah not a big mystery... BIG METAL OBJECTS in the sky... RF bounces off them back to the ground. So when RF hits the aircraft its bouncing back down to your location. Its a pretty cool effect.

Status
Not open for further replies.