This is why the lapd does not encrypt

Status
Not open for further replies.

pepsima1

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
We and the majority of the people including myself keep beating the horse the death about the use of “Full Encrytion” on these new trunking systems or replacing old conventional and older trunking systems. Here is a prime example why we keep arguing and bickering about the use of encryption. This is why some people are starting to fight back over the abuse of encryption that these cities and counties that are locking out our tax paying citizens that want to protect ourselves and our families. Once you read the article and watch the news video you will see why the people on RR keeping battling and have long drawn out discussions.
Here is the link to the article and news video.

Homeless intruder terrorizes half-naked California woman

After that I recorded an AM radio talk show where this lady lives two blocks away from this incident and see has a police scanner radio and listens 24 hours a day and records the communications. Thanks to the LAPD and Chief Charlie Beck for their continue efforts to be transparent and keep their city in the clear so their residents that are law obeying people protect themselves and hear if some nut bag is running loose in their city of Venice, CA.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/zns5kgia11pnxqw/KFI Talk Show.m4a?dl=0

Smaug

Seems like they learned a lesson from the Rodney King incident.

The police should not need to hide what they're doing, except maybe in the case of SWAT.

JoeyC

So that a neighbor can be voyeuristic and post pictures on the web? I doubt it. The burglary would have happened and unfolded the same no matter whether LAPD encrypted or not. I'm sure their reasoning has little to do with providing the citizenry access to their radio communications.

pepsima1

Banned
So that a neighbor can be voyeuristic and post pictures on the web? I doubt it. The burglary would have happened and unfolded the same no matter whether LAPD encrypted or not. I'm sure their reasoning has little to do with providing the citizenry access to their radio communications.

I think you might be missing the point of this recording........

Of course this incident would of happened either way if the sun was up or down or the radio transmissions in the clear or not.

The point is that this lady is doing whatever she can to protect herself and her home and community having a radio to hear in-case some Jack in the box type person is running the streets and breaking into homes. At least she is going to have a heads up in a incident like this. If you listened careful she had a friend that got raped and she wanted to make sure she has access to hear if somebody is on the loose.

JoeyC

I think you might be missing the point of this recording........

Of course this incident would of happened either way if the sun was up or down or the radio transmissions in the clear or not.

The point is that this lady is doing whatever she can to protect herself and her home and community having a radio to hear in-case some Jack in the box type person is running the streets and breaking into homes. At least she is going to have a heads up in a incident like this. If you listened careful she had a friend that got raped and she wanted to make sure she has access to hear if somebody is on the loose.

I got all that and agree to a certain extent. I am only questioning your post title, there is nothing in the story or radio blurb that explains LAPDs decision not to encrypt.

SCPD

QRT
Has nothing to do with encryption or the decision on using encryption. Agencies encrypt when they want to for any reason and stories like the one posted have nothing to do with it. When a public safety department encrypts, that's their decision whether we like it or not.

SkiBob

Premium Subscriber
I have to say, I totally missed the point on this. I guess I was expecting to hear "as a result of listening to a scanner, a man came to the rescue and launched the guy off the roof. When the police showed up they found a guy, with a scanner held to his ear, helping the lady back into her house."

I dunno.. maybe I'm stretching it

hitechRadio

If you can say " This is why the lapd does not encrypt". I can Say "This is why LAPD should encrypt"

She could of went over there to help the lady, and got her self injured or even killed. Lucky the Cops arrived quickly.

Guarantee that lady doesn't listen 24 hours a day, she could have been on the pooper, and missed the whole thing. Well I guess if she recorded it, she could of listened to something that happened in the past.

This story IMO does not have any thing to do with why LAPD is not encrypted.

In the real world, Officer Safety far out ways, The minority (scanner listener's).

I thought we are not suppose to discuss encryption!

JoeyC

That womans actions clearly does make a case for encryption. Did you hear how she said something along the lines of: I was on my way to the bank (or wherever) anyway blah blah blah? HELLO, if you hear an interesting call like that just a couple blocks from your house you stay put and listen to the outcome if you are really interested. Clearly she had in her mind to check it out in person by making that statement and filming it when she got there. Exactly what a scanner listener is NOT supposed to do and precisely what cops don't like about scanner people.

pepsima1

Banned
Sounds like your police chief has thought about the positives and negatives and realizes that all of their talkgroups do not need to be encrypted. That's a good honest police chief with some brains up-stairs.

Status
Not open for further replies.