Thomas Co. Kansas

Howa1500

When police dept. switched to 800 my scanner still picked them up, now nothing, same with Sherman Co. I was going to buy new $600 trunk scanner if this will fix problem but want input first ? Wife runs daycare & looking for the right problem with frequency issue ?

fuzzmanks

The answer that will work for today is, Yes. At least for Thomas County. I don't know about Sherman. As of today, I can listen to Thomas County Law Enforcement on my digital trunking scanner. I currently have my scanner locked on Thomas County. If you need to know about Sherman County before you buy a scanner let me know and I will monitor their channel if they are using the Statewide system that Thomas County is using.

Soon the Fire Departments (Colby, Thomas County Rural, Gem, Rexford) in Thomas County will all go digital. As I understand, the EMS will also switch this year.

Thomas County L.E. got new equipment last year and have the capability to go from P25 Phase 1 to P25 Phase 2. Their new equipment will also let them go to encryption (scrambled) which means if they make that decision then even a new digital scanner will not be able to listen to them.

If you buy a new scanner, you may want to spend the extra for a Phase 2 capable scanner.

Howa1500

Thank u for info!! I was looking at uniden bcd536hp so i will ck to make sure phase 2 capable is there. Thank u again for response

fuzzmanks

You may want to look at the Uniden BCD325P2 Handheld TrunkTracker V Scanner (on Amazon) as it dropped nearly $50 this year to $334 as of yesterday. I have not double checked the specs...I'm still dragging my feet in getting an additional scanner...especially one that is more portable than the Uniden HomePatrol One that I now have.

Howa1500

actually i did look at that one but didnt c that it was zip code friendly but not to sure about the zip code thing anyway ??

fuzzmanks

I did check and Sherman County does use the KSCIS P25 network and I am able to monitor it. Actually, I don't know if it was the Sheriff's Office, the Goodland PD, or both. It seems like last year or the year before, Goodland PD did not use the KSCIS network and you would not be able to pickup their radio traffic without an outdoor antenna.