Thomas Co.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jrcjr65

I just purchased a TRX-2 for police/fire and railroad scanning. The only thing I hear is the Thomas Co fire pager occasionally
and ems to hospital. Reading some old posts it appears TPD is encrypted but the database doesn't reflect this. Anyone provide some assistance before I sink more $$ into this adventure. Thanks

apx7000xe

Premium Subscriber
I think the database still shows them on analog Type II trunking. I believe they’re on the new P25 SWGRRS but there are no talkgroups in the database as of last time I looked. You will have to do a talkgroup search on the Thomas county site to find out for sure. I purchased some surplus radios from the fire department a few months ago and they are on P25 from the people I talked to and from the radio traffic I heard in the station but never found out if they were encrypted or not. Are you hearing fire dispatch and ems to hospital on analog or on P25?

Last edited:

jrcjr65

They were on the 150.000 band. Database shows TPD on
003 (3)ThomasvilleThomas854.5375a855.2125855.4375855.9875856.3875c856.9875857.2375

System Name:Southwest Georgia Regional Radio System
County:4 counties
System Type:Motorola Type II SmartZone
System Voice:Analog and APCO-25 Common Air Interface
Last Updated:September 5, 2018, 1:57 pm ((9) Talkgroups Updated (multi-category change))

N8IAA

Well, the database hasn't been updated since 9/18. A lot can change in almost three and a half years. Why would you want to spend more money? You've got a scanner that covers P-25, DMR, and NXDN.
GSP and DNR are on conventional P-25. Always good listening. Lots out there to monitor. (y)

jrcjr65

I need to buy a base antenna and all that goes with it. I'm using a car/moble antenna now which picks up very little. My main reason was monitoring public safety so I'm disappointed if I'm unable to do it even with a new base antenna set up.

RRR

Premium Subscriber
Has it been confirmed that Thomas county public safety is in fact encrypted?

apx7000xe

Premium Subscriber
I'm not sure if they are encrypted or not but I would think they have completely converted the system over to P25 and that the Type II system is depreciated like it has been for quite some time in Crisp County/Cordele. I'm sure the talkgroups all have completely different ID's as well which is why the OP wouldn't be able to scan them. The new system uses the same frequencies as the old system does. Someone in the are needs to run discovery mode on their scanner to log audio and talkgroups from the new system to determine who is who and if they are encrypted or not. Neither system in the database have been updated in the last 3-4 years so this explains the lack of info here.

apx7000xe

Premium Subscriber
Has it been confirmed that Thomas county public safety is in fact encrypted?
Taken from another thread:
THOMASVILLE, Ga. — After years of planning and investments of million of tax dollars, Thomas County's 800 MHZ radio system will go live in mid-December.

New Thomas County radio system going live in December | Ga Fl News | suwanneedemocrat.com
Radio talk on the new system will be encrypted. Talk picked up on scanners among the general population will be scrambled, providing an officer safety component, Thomasville Police Chief Troy Rich said.

Said Chris White, City of Thomasville assistant utilities superintendent, "We also see a real need for utilities to be encrypted as well. I think we are all in agreement to put the entire system in a privacy mode."

"We felt like the encryption would not hurt us in any way," said Chris Jones, Thomas County Fire/Rescue chief and Thomas County Emergency Management director.

Plans are for the new system to go live on Monday, Dec. 12.
I don't quite understand why anyone could "see a real need" to encrypt utilities. I didn't realize they conducted top secret missions.

chill30240

Premium Subscriber
Taken from another thread:
I don't quite understand why anyone could "see a real need" to encrypt utilities. I didn't realize they conducted top secret missions.

We sure don't need for the public to know that Aunt Sally is knee deep in "brown trout" lake in her front yard where the sewer line done busted. Or the garbage truck that dropped a can in the road and didn't pick it properly and now there's a black lab tearing up soiled diapers all over the place. Utilities is not one you regularly find encrypted. I know one of those people mentioned in the article and I was really surprised.

Status
Not open for further replies.