Thompson Peak

Status
Not open for further replies.

chris480

I put the freqs for Thompson Peak in and my signal now is almost 4 bars but I hear no traffice. What is Thompson peak used for and whare is it located? Should I hear the same as I do when on the Tatum tower? If so what do I need to do to hear something on it? Thank You All

Please expand. What system are you trying to monitor? MCSO and Scottsdale PD (part of the Maricopa County System) go out from there, but not Phoenix PD if that is what you are trying to get.

chris480

Yes Phoenix, It was listed in the Phoenix part.... I have MCSO on it and its working great. What tower should I try for Phoenix that is furthest north? Phoenix is real choppy and frustrating. The Tatum tower is not cutting it for me.

It may be "choppy" because you are getting simulcast interference, but it is also a very short tower, about 50 feet tall (I've seen it), so it might be a matter of terrain blocking the signal. If the 800mhz duck doesn't do the trick (try that first), then you will probably want to set up a yagi antenna on your roof or in the attic if you like. That should help things come in much better.

Go to Google Earth and put map pins on your location, and then at Tatum and Greenway. Then "tilt" the earth so you are looking from your house towards the antenna (be sure to elevate the map pin for the site to 50'. As you tilt the world slowly flat, you will see hills and other terrain rise up, and you should be able to see if there is anything in the between you and the tower. If there isn't, it is probably just a matter of simulcast interference, and aiming a yagi will probably be able to "shut out" most of the other sites other than the one you want (this is what I have to do). If it is a matter of terrain, there again the yagi will probably save you because it does so much better at picking up signal. Simulcast A (PPD) does NOT transmit from Thomson peak.

See this link to find the site locations.

http://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=2508

chris480

What does IR mean after it? THis is on the link you sent me for Phoenix

302 Thompson Peak IR 867.07500a 867.22500 867.37500 867.72500a 868.36250c

That is an intellirepeater.

I believe those are used for units that are too far away from a main site to communicate. You CAN'T monitor traffic from those frequencies.

Status
Not open for further replies.