Thoughts on a programming idea - BC346xt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Radioman_911

911 Dispatch & Ham Radio guy!
Premium Subscriber
I'm programming the 346xt for my local 800mhz system that is spread throughout two counties. It is the Washington / Clackamas County public safety system in Oregon.

Right now I have the two counties programmed as seperate systems and then certain sites within the systems. This works fine minus the fact that when I cross into the other county I have to remember to switch systems, sooo....
I was thinking I could make 1 system with 1 site and program the control channels for every site in both counties all in one. So basically instead of having 2 systems and 5 sites I have 1 systems with 1 site that has the control channels for everything. So far it's been working well and I switched counties and never had a disruption in radio traffic.

Anyone else think about doing this? Reasoning behind doing this is because the 346xt & 996xt I've noticed take a while to scan seperate sites... Noticed lots of missed transmissions because of this.

Just looking for feedback / comments

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
I'm programming the 346xt for my local 800mhz system that is spread throughout two counties. It is the Washington / Clackamas County public safety system in Oregon.

Right now I have the two counties programmed as seperate systems and then certain sites within the systems. This works fine minus the fact that when I cross into the other county I have to remember to switch systems, sooo....
I was thinking I could make 1 system with 1 site and program the control channels for every site in both counties all in one. So basically instead of having 2 systems and 5 sites I have 1 systems with 1 site that has the control channels for everything. So far it's been working well and I switched counties and never had a disruption in radio traffic.

Anyone else think about doing this? Reasoning behind doing this is because the 346xt & 996xt I've noticed take a while to scan seperate sites... Noticed lots of missed transmissions because of this.

Just looking for feedback / comments

Jordan,
This has it's drawbacks.

On the Uniden scanners, including your 346XT, the scanner will not automatically check all the control channels entered. Instead, it will take the first control channel it can receive, and use that, until it simply cannot decode it anymore. Only then will it look for another frequency it can hear. So, while it may seem to be working, you may not be getting the best available site when you change counties. Depending on how your local system of interest is set up, you may not be missing any calls, if all radio traffic is carried on all the sites anyway. But the scanner may, or may not, be locking in on the site with the strongest signal as you drive into the next county, if it can still receive the previous one.

You can use one system, with multiple sites, but assign each site a separate site quick-key so that you can turn off individual sites. You could do the same thing with start-up keys.

Radioman_911

911 Dispatch & Ham Radio guy!
Premium Subscriber
Hey thanks for all that info. I had a slight feeling that this was the case.. As I said I did have it the "correct" way using two systems (one for each county) with each site individually programmed under the proper system. And like u said I manually went and locked out the sites I didn't need. I was just testing this method to avoid having to switch system when I cross into the next county...

Status
Not open for further replies.