WS1080: Thoughts on the WS 1080

Status
Not open for further replies.

lu81fitter

I may have an opportunity to buy a WS 1080 scanner. I have never owned a Whistler/GRE product before. All of my experiences have been with Uniden. Can anyone tell me if this is a good radio? The person wants $275 for it? Is that a good price? (I have not found any for sale.) Are there any problems with this radio? (Haven't noticed any on a quick search.) It's in really good condition. It has a programming cable and belt clip along with the literature about the radio.
Again, I have no experience with this radio. Just looking for recommendations.

PrivatelyJeff

Has more money than sense
Premium Subscriber
I like them. I have about a dozen of that variety and they all work great for me. A caveat is that these are the only scanners I’ve used and I only use them in a area with simple radio systems.
As for the price, that about right.

k7ng

Electronics professional
Premium Subscriber
I have a 1088, only difference to 1080 is keypad vs. no keypad. I am biased toward Whistler, having been using GRE stuff before that, as far back as 2007. I have used Unidens in the same locations as Whistler. However, in my radio environment, (no local simulcast systems and when I travel, I seem to end up where I only hear one site in simulcast systems) I have found the features offered in Whistler 108x/109x scanners suits me better than Uniden. The consensus is if dealing with dense simulcast networks, Uniden is superior.

I'm afraid you will just have to read and read and read the various threads here regarding Uniden & Whistler (or Uniden vs. Whistler) and eventually just take the plunge. Unless you have friends who happen to own both brands, then try them yourself. Where you intend to be using the scanner should be a major decision factor. If you have lotsa money, get one of each!

Swipesy

I much prefer the GRE/Whistler interface over the Uniden. But that is not enough reason to buy the WS-1080. I have a 1080 which is an upgrade from the GRE-PSR-800. It is a fantastic radio but my environment is perfect for it. No simulcast distortion to speak of. If the radio is used in a LSM environment, forget it, you will own a brick. The best advice I can give you is to ask your question in the Illinois Forum and ask for users in Marshall County. That is the only true opinion place you should accept. Actual users of the 1080 in YOUR environment.

lu81fitter

I have no simulcast in my immediate area, and this radio will just be used at home. It will be an upgrade of my current analog handheld. From what I'm reading, it will handle DMR (without trunk tracking), but that is fine because there are 2 agencies I listen to, and they only use single freqs. Was looking at a 325P2, then stumbled across this so I thought I'd ask around and see what people thought.
Thanks for the input. I think I'll probably bite.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
I have no simulcast in my immediate area, and this radio will just be used at home. It will be an upgrade of my current analog handheld. From what I'm reading, it will handle DMR (without trunk tracking), but that is fine because there are 2 agencies I listen to, and they only use single freqs. Was looking at a 325P2, then stumbled across this so I thought I'd ask around and see what people thought.
Thanks for the input. I think I'll probably bite.
Your neighboring county, Peoria, is using simulcast on the statewide STARCOM21 system, but you may be far enough outside that county that it does not pose a problem. For your county, and the surrounding ones (outside of Peoria), simulcast is not in use. Your county looks to be conventional, not on the trunked system. So, the WS1080 should be able to handle what you are most interested in.

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
I have two, and even though they are an older design than the new Uniden, my location gives me very good simulcast results. I also prefer the software and have used both makes of scanners and software.

lu81fitter

Your neighboring county, Peoria, is using simulcast on the statewide STARCOM21 system, but you may be far enough outside that county that it does not pose a problem. For your county, and the surrounding ones (outside of Peoria), simulcast is not in use. Your county looks to be conventional, not on the trunked system. So, the WS1080 should be able to handle what you are most interested in.

Yeah. Peoria County is simulcast. I can pick it up here on my 996P2 without any problems (now that it's STARCOM and not the original Harris system). For the analog, I'm using a BCT15X. Works great. Just thought that since this 1080 was available, I'd give it a go. It's also time to update my handheld from the old BC80XLT.

I have two, and even though they are an older design than the new Uniden, my location gives me very good simulcast results. I also prefer the software and have used both makes of scanners and software.

That's cool! What software are you using? I downloaded EZ Scan and am playing with it right now. Trying to research if there is a way to import my Proscan files. Kinda fun. Work is slow due to the virus stuff, so is gives me something to do.

Thanks to all for the input. I appreciate it.

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
Both of mine have the factory upgrade so I use the EZ Scan software. I usually tell new users to try the zip or county import for the first code plug. After you get an idea of what is available and listenable, then work on creating your own with individual selections.

Swipesy

Once a new user downloads from the RadioReference database into EZScan you will quickly learn the error of your ways. You will find that your only means of editing is in the EZScan app and that is tedious. The best advice I will give you is to not download a lot because you will end up deleting and starting over. You will be much happier to build your configuration in Excel and importing Excel into EZScan. You can export from EZScan into Excel the column headings required by EZScan and then filling in the data. Just advice from a original EZScan user.

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
I much prefer the GRE/Whistler interface over the Uniden. But that is not enough reason to buy the WS-1080. I have a 1080 which is an upgrade from the GRE-PSR-800. It is a fantastic radio but my environment is perfect for it. No simulcast distortion to speak of. If the radio is used in a LSM environment, forget it, you will own a brick. The best advice I can give you is to ask your question in the Illinois Forum and ask for users in Marshall County. That is the only true opinion place you should accept. Actual users of the 1080 in YOUR environment.
A brick indeed, I couldn't agree with you more John, good post.

lu81fitter

I have found that it is tedious. I am in the process of painstakingly moving my Proscan programming to EZ Scan. No database downloading. At least I know what I have and where its at to modify it when need be. I try to keep an eye on things and update as I find new changes.
From what I'm learning, the programming on Whistler scanners scanners are not as easily changed "on the fly" as the Unidens. That will be an adjustment for me. But most of the time, I will be using it in just one spot for a few weeks at a time, then moving on. It's a handheld model, so it will not be used in my vehicle. That job will be handled by the 996P2.

Status
Not open for further replies.