• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Thoughts on TK 2180

Status
Not open for further replies.

WillB

Whats the general feed back on these radios? Things that are liked and disliked about them? Do they seem to hold up good?

SCPD

QRT
I used a 2180 almost every day for two years and never really had a problem with it.
Compare to some other radio's that I've had in the past, this one is one of the toughest I've seen.
I don't use it any more since I upgraded to a NX-210. Still have it if your interested.:)

Hope this helps.

Astro25

Great radios. I have MANY of them in service with PDs, FDs and even a local railroad. They seem to hold up quite well and people are generally pleased with them. Newer firmware also allows MDC1200 capability. They'll also do FPP.

If you plan on going P25 any time soon, the 5210G/5310G series portables are also quite nice.

Av8tor56

Great radios. A word of warning though. We have a local ambulance company that has a lot of them. Howerver, they bought aftermarket batteries and they don't fit properly. As a result they have taped the batteries in place.

powerlineman

I have had a MT1000, HT1000, HT1250.....the TK2180 is by far my favorite radio. I have a NX200 that I like also...but it only has a 16 channel position knob. I like how the 2180 knob rolls over. Some people like the ability to count the clicks. Im a dork and like more than 16 channels in a zone.

baycomm

Tk2180/nx200

The NX200 channel knob has a removable stop & it can easily be programmed to work the same way as the TK-2180. Just pull the knob off and then lift out the plastic stop piece. In the programming the "16 zone/group" check box should be unchecked. Both are great radios. The NX200 does have better MDC1200 functionality if you need it as well as more features + NXDN digital. With rebates from Kenwood the NX might even be less expensive (depends on the dealer).

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
2180 and the 3180 (UHF version) are some of the best analog portables Kenwood ever made.

With F/W of 1.61 they do MDC1200 encode/decode without any add on boards.

Some of the best front ends of an analog portable, comparable to the old Motorola Saber analogs in a side by side test for RX sensitivity and selectivity.

Very easy to service, housing replacement is a breeze and inexpensive.
Great battery life, and programming software is logical and straightforward.

You can't go wrong with these radios if you need a rugged, quality lightweight portable.

And they are fully narrowband compliant, they do splinter channels and all. Very wide banded, the UHF range 2 (450-520) works on the 440 ham band very nicely.

WillB

They have the option to do stored voice also correct?

I can't see the need to upgrade to the NX series. The only people that run digital in our county is PD and sherriff. State patrol is digital car to car but we don't talk to them direct anyways, we let dispatch handle that.This would be for my personal use at the FD.

pddispatcher

Great radio, excellent features.

If you get one and need MDC, I can upgrade the radio and program them as well.

Let me know.

I have the TK-5220 now.

Raptor05121

The VGS-1 is an optional board that has to be installed into the receiver itself.

I have a TK-2180 and my whole department uses nothing but Motorola's (HT750, HT1250, CDM1550s, Etc) and they all think (and know) my KW outperforms them. For some reason, I have a much easier time hitting repeaters than they do (both are 5W). It also has a clock built in, which is very nice so I can record the dispatch time on my runs.

The Li-Ion battery is only 1700MAh, but does not have the memory charge effect of the Ni-CD or Ni-Mh batteries. The other two optional batteries Ni-Cd has 1400MAh I believe and the Ni-MH has 1900MAh. The Li-Ion has a decent battery life (never left me stranded, I've gone ~24 hrs with an open scan) but the 1900 is what you want for extended life, but will also have the memory charging effect.

It also does Amateur quite well! Programming is easy (if you have the software/hardware). Its all MIL-spec. I've had it in pouring rain on accident, dropped it more than 10 times since I've had it. Nothing will hurt it. Has paging option. Easy to select channels (versus HT750), and lots more channels! 128 talk groups with 128 channels each! Definitely my favorite handheld ever.

Will, check your PMs.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.