Thoughts on what went wrong for OHP trooper

Status
Not open for further replies.

Freqed

I'm just a listener
Premium Subscriber
Anybody have any comments about last Sundays accident on the Will Rogers turnpike that took 2 lives, one being an OHP trooper? I have been reading bits and pieces about it and was under the assumption that he was westbound and came through the wall and got nailed. Then I read where he was Eastbound and was trying to turn around toward the west and got nailed as he started to go through the wall. What gets me is the fact that he has to get in the outside lane and turn on his lights and then proceed to turn across the other lane into the cutout and Officials can't figure out why the trucker went from the outside lane to the inside lane as the trooper was setting up for his turn around. I have an idea why he did it, just wonder what you guys think.

CommShrek

Freqed said:
Anybody have any comments about last Sundays accident on the Will Rogers turnpike that took 2 lives, one being an OHP trooper? I have been reading bits and pieces about it and was under the assumption that he was westbound and came through the wall and got nailed. Then I read where he was Eastbound and was trying to turn around toward the west and got nailed as he started to go through the wall. What gets me is the fact that he has to get in the outside lane and turn on his lights and then proceed to turn across the other lane into the cutout and Officials can't figure out why the trucker went from the outside lane to the inside lane as the trooper was setting up for his turn around. I have an idea why he did it, just wonder what you guys think.

First of all, I have to say: I wasn't there and I don't know what happened. I think it would be wrong to speculate too much without the investigation being done yet. Sad deal.

That being said, I do know exactly why he had to go to the outside lane and cut across the lanes. It's too tight of a turn to turn from the fast lane into the cut through. I've been in an emergency vehicle more than once on these interstates of ours and a friend who was driving had to do the exact same thing. Once or twice I think I've had to do the exact same thing. I was driving an emergency vehicle at the time so it was legal, but still dangerous.

So tell us what your idea is Freqed.

firemark

Being with a fire department, when we respond an engine on an incident on the Will Rogers turnpike, to make the turnaround, we have to cut all the way to the far shoulder then wait for an opening accross four lanes then proceed across. and of course traffic always stops for the big red truck with the lights and sirens. yeah right :( . That is another accident waiting to happen. People need to slow down and yield to the emergency vehicles like they are supposed to. I had a car pass me three or four times to mutual aid another department while running on the turnpike we would pass then they would get behind some cars yielding then would pass us up again and the process would repeat. Some people need to get their heads on straight and do what they are supposed to do when emergency vehicles are reponding especially when they are in your rear view mirror.

Mark

I'm through with the soap box if anybody else wants to use it :)

Medic32

I myself have been passed on both I-44 and 412 while running hot in a firetruck. But if you want to talk about idiots seeing you in thier rearviews.....I've got some videos on my myspace of idiots reactions when I glue that ambulance to their bumpers changing sirens the whole time. On occasion.....it stirs some yelling from me....but only on occasion :lol:

grack

Medic32 said:
I myself have been passed on both I-44 and 412 while running hot in a firetruck. But if you want to talk about idiots seeing you in thier rearviews.....I've got some videos on my myspace of idiots reactions when I glue that ambulance to their bumpers changing sirens the whole time. On occasion.....it stirs some yelling from me....but only on occasion :lol:

I'm hoping you are exagerating about "gluing" an ambulance to someones bumper. If you're that close at any speed you are being reckless. If you cannot go around then following that close is not going to help matters any. And it just might make things worse.

Now someone passing you while you have your lights and siren on, yeah, thats just stupid.

I think part of the problem these days is that we build cars so tight, that its hard to hear anything at all from the outside world. Add in the blower for climate control and a radio at a conservative volume and its almost impossible to hear anything until its right on top of you. Throw in some idiot with a radio thats blasting pavement into rubble with bass and its a wonder that everyone's ear drums aren't bleeding.

I'm certainly sympathetic to your plight however. Being in a bucket truck on the side of the road and seeing idiots narrowly avoid hitting an outrigger will make you respect those trying to get a dangerous job done.

BoxAlarm187

Level 6 RR Member (Since 1998)
Premium Subscriber
Medic32 said:

Like Grack posted, I hope you're exaggerating about this. If you're not giving the citizen ample room to yield to the emergency vehicle, you're not doing your job. I always allow 2-3 seconds between my EV and the cars ahead, it gives them plenty of time & room to see me and then take appropriate action - it allows everyone to go home safe at the end of the day.

car2back

Medic32 said:

We have a paramedic up here that used to work for EMSA that's infamous for bouncing a coke bottle off one jack arse's hood for failing to yield on the BA back in the mid 90's :D I can't say I'd do that but it's nice that someone had the cajones to once. He also had a Trooper waiting for him at St Juan's ED when the truck arrived to speak to him about it.

Shrek is right about the U turn spots, , If I recall correctly, the barriers on each side overlap so that makes it even tougher to cut through. I don't think anyone should be allowed to make a U-ie on the turnpike.

Last edited:

Gilligan

Database Admin
Medic32 said:
I've got some videos on my myspace of idiots reactions when I glue that ambulance to their bumpers changing sirens the whole time.
What is your myspace address?

Freqed

I'm just a listener
Premium Subscriber
Ok, Here are my thoughts on this. Truck driver, drives through many states in a short period of time. Each state has different or no laws on how to react to emergency vehicle on side of Highway. Most states (not sure about OK.) have passed laws that say slow down and move over to stopped emergency vehicles on highway. Trooper is in outside lane or shoulder waiting for chance to turn around, trucker approaches from behind sees lights moves over, (inside lane) trooper starts to turn around and gets hit. What if anything did the trucker do wrong, except go to a fraudulent truck driver training school, now under investigation. My family has almost always driven to vacations, business or whatever. Once a year we drove from OK. to OH. and I learned very early the rules truckers use on the road, with the one being that if something is on the shoulder ahead they will move into the inside lane to give them room. The new design of the Turnpike is really the flaw here, with the cutouts being so small. I for one would not want to have to attempt one with cars going 75+ on either side.

Firecop203

phil_smith said:
We have a paramedic up here that used to work for EMSA that's infamous for bouncing a coke bottle off one jack arse's hood for failing to yield on the BA back in the mid 90's :D I can't say I'd do that but it's nice that someone had the cajones to once. He also had a Trooper waiting for him at St Juan's ED when the truck arrived to speak to him about it.QUOTE]

If I recall correctly it's a felony to throw objects at a moving vehicle, so it's no wonder they had a Trooper waiting on him.

Whoever designed those turn-arounds needs a whuppin. This is the 4th fatality incident that I know of that has occured because people have tried to cross over and change directions on the turnpike.

car2back

eh, nothing happened to him over except he got told that was a no,no.

you're right about the turn-a-rounds!

Status
Not open for further replies.