THP for I-40

Status
Not open for further replies.

RadioDitch

Signals Identification Member
Premium Subscriber
Hey All,

For years now I've traveled I-40 to and from my Dad's place in Memphis from Jersey. Rarely have I ever tuned into THP the whole way cause I can never quite figure out in the database which are the correct frequencies between the mix of VHF Low, VHF High, and UHF fixed relays.

Can someone please help me out?

I know the districts for I-40 on the THP map are East to West...

District 5 - Troop A
District 1 - Troop D, Troop A, Troop B
District 6 - Troop C, Troop A, Troop D
District 3 - Troop D, Troop A
District 8 - Troop D, Troop A
District 4 - Troop B, Troop A

But turning that into programming is an issue. Sure it's obvious, but any help would be enormously appreciated. Thanks so much...

jimg

Premium Subscriber
Hey All,

For years now I've traveled I-40 to and from my Dad's place in Memphis from Jersey. Rarely have I ever tuned into THP the whole way cause I can never quite figure out in the database which are the correct frequencies between the mix of VHF Low, VHF High, and UHF fixed relays.

Can someone please help me out?

I know the districts for I-40 on the THP map are East to West...

District 5 - Troop A
District 1 - Troop D, Troop A, Troop B
District 6 - Troop C, Troop A, Troop D
District 3 - Troop D, Troop A
District 8 - Troop D, Troop A
District 4 - Troop B, Troop A

But turning that into programming is an issue. Sure it's obvious, but any help would be enormously appreciated. Thanks so much...

You can check the Tennessee Department of Safety website to find the counties covered by each district. Ithink that the Nashville District, which is district #3, transmits on 42.36 and 42.56 mhz, both the post and cars. Some of the repeaters, to hear the cars talking back to the post, were on mid-band (70 mhz), as well as high band and UHF. However, some of these may now be on micro-wave, which, I understand, cannot be monitored on a scanner. I don't know about the Jackson and Memphis districts. Maybe someone else on this forum can advise.

n4yek

I can help you with 2 districts:
District 5 monitor dispatch on 42.42 MHz and you can hear the mobiles reply on 72.02 MHz link.
District 1 monitor dispatch on 42.56 MHz and you can hear the mobiles reply on 72.58 MHz link.
Also in District 1 monitor 45.70 MHz
Some one else with have to help with the other parts of the state.
Happy scanning.

CORN

Premium Subscriber
The only ranges I have in my scanner for THP are the Lo band and VHF Hi band and none of the 7x.xx freqs. I have noticed on I-40 between Jackson and Nashville theres a lot of VHF Hi band usage and some Lo Band. But if you notice in the database there's a lot of the frequencies that's the same. I'd say plug all those in (without repeating the ones that are the same, Nashville has a 45.56 and so does other districts) and leave the tone squelch to open. That way when u pass through the different sectors they'll pop up. THP is not very busy so u may go thru the state and not hear a peep. Their not State Police like say KY or IL so their Comms aren't nearly as busy. And yes in the low band you might not hear the mobile respond but I like it that way cause when you do hear the car then it means he or she is close by.

ropin4gold

The 45.xx frequencies are repeaters. In middle TN they aren't used very much, unless there is a special event. West TN uses VHF alot around Jackson. Unless you have a low band antenna you will rarely hear the cars talking back, unless you pick up the relays. The 72.xx frequencies (relays) seem to me to be active around Crossville-Knoxville.

RadioDitch

Signals Identification Member
Premium Subscriber
I actually usually drive my one vehicle which I also use for EMS/OEM purposes, so it's rather well equipped for VHF low (and everything else in existence)...hopefully the combination of solid antenna and Motorola mobile will help pick up the patrol cars' end.

Thanks for all the direction guys. If anyone has anything else to add, please feel free to do so.

RadioJonD

Exalted Nabob
At the hairdresser's, past the liquor store.
A little late to the party but…

I too visit family in West & East Tennessee. If 42.260, 42.280 & 154.905 are active, you know that a THP unit is nearby.

All the below is from a longtime (since 1975 with a scanner) Tennessee traveler’s perspective.

Bare minimum travel through frequencies : 42.420, 42.360, 42.560, & 42.260. Three dispatches & one mobile to base.

Top 20 for THP:

42.260 – mobiles to dispatch
42.280 - repeater input (mobiles close if you hear activity)
42.360 – Dispatch
42.420 – Dispatch (most used)
42.560 – Dispatch
42.740 - Heard in April 2012 as special detail frequency at 150th Anniversary Battle of Shiloh.
45.580 - repeaters
45.620 - repeaters
45.660 - repeaters
45.700 - repeaters
45.820 – repeaters

I have heard a post dispatch on a low band repeater once. Most often communications heard over them are mobile to mobile contacts.

154.770 - Multi state law enforcement agency use; even heard TN National Guard at an event once.
154.905 - mobile extenders
155.505 - Hardly, if ever, used anymore that I can tell; probably because of Alabama’s additional usage.
159.090 – Heard as a special detail/event channel often.

VHF Hi Band frequencies are used statewide for different purposes. Some are links to Low Band & some are in use for special events. I assume that all may be used by all state law enforcement agencies. I also assume that all these are programmed in each state trooper's handheld.

The UHF links I leave locked out unless travelling specifically to/through an area where I know one is used by THP. Otherwise various utility companies/businesses pop up elsewhere.

The one time I ever heard anything on one of the 70 MHz links used in East Tennessee, it was the same as on 42.560. Since I assume those are used by THP for base to remote access in more rural areas of the mountains, I don’t program them for interstate travel.

For West Tennessee, both base and mobiles of the District 8 Jackson Post can be hard at an exclusive feed over the internet . I use either an i-Pod Touch or Nook tethered to an i-Phone with a preset (favorite) set on the Tune-In Radio app.

Tennessee Highway Patrol - Jackson Dist. 8 Live Scanner Audio Feed

While travelling I have learned the hard way to listen only to highway patrol, transportation and emergency management agencies plus mutual aid statewides; minimum frequencies, maximum potential travel information. I also have presets to all Highway Advisory Radio/Traveler’s Information Stations along the route(s) programmed on the vehicle AM radio. Listen even if the flashing message lights aren’t on. Never overlook or dismiss low tech!

Last edited:

rma0100

THP I-40 Mobiles ???

The talkback mobile frequency in Overton county is 72.86, verified. However I cannot hear the mobiles on I-40 where there is now a lot of traffic and eratic op complaints. I have never been able to hear one mobile transmission from I-40 and I have the best of equipment and only live about 10 miles away. I ordered a freq counter and I'm going there soon and figure this out once and for all.

Ive tried everything known to Man and I don't understand what their doing. I intend to bring the freq counter and 2 radios and the best of antennas. I'll post my accomplishments or lack of when I return.

jimg

Premium Subscriber
The talkback mobile frequency in Overton county is 72.86, verified. However I cannot hear the mobiles on I-40 where there is now a lot of traffic and eratic op complaints. I have never been able to hear one mobile transmission from I-40 and I have the best of equipment and only live about 10 miles away. I ordered a freq counter and I'm going there soon and figure this out once and for all.

Ive tried everything known to Man and I don't understand what their doing. I intend to bring the freq counter and 2 radios and the best of antennas. I'll post my accomplishments or lack of when I return.

Have you tried 452.450? This is the repeater shown in the RadioReference database for Carthage and Livingston. I thought I had recently seen here on RR that 72.86 was over on Short Mountain, in Cannon County.
Another possibilty is that they may have changed the repeater over to a microwave frequency, which I don't think any scanner will receive.

ka4bni

Feed Provider
Your best bet for listening to the THP along I-40 is the following:
NE corner of TN to near Knoxville 42.420 dispatch 42.260 cars
Knoxville to near Cookeville 42.56 cars and dispatch
Cookeville area 42.420 dispatch 42.260 cars
Nearing Nashville 42.36 cars and dispatch
In Nashville 42.560 cars and dispatch
West of Nashville to the TN River 42.36 cars and dispatch
TN River to near Jackson 42.420 dispatch 42.260 cars
Jackson area to mm 68 159.090 cars and dispatch
mm 68 to Memphis 42.560 cars and dispatch

The THP channel scheme in the cars is made up of the following using different pl tones:
Channel 1 42.420 R 42.260 T
Channel 2 42.420 R 42.420 T used as a car to car channel in all districts.
Channel 3 42.560 R 42.560 T
Channel 4 42.360 R 42.360 T
Channel 5 45.580 R 42.280 T Used as a car to car repeater and backup dispatch channel
Channel 6 45.620 R 42.280 T " " "
Channel 7 45.660 R 42.280 T " " "
Channel 8 45.700 R 42.740 T " " "

Channel 1 is used by the Fall Branch, Chattanooga, Cookeville, Jackson, and Lawrenceburg districts.
Channel 3 is used by Knoxville, Nashville, and Memphis dispatches.
Channel 4 is used by the Nashville district.

Some districts use a combination of mid band 72 mhz and UHF links to link the dispatches to their sites. Nashville and Jackson use mostly phone circuits to tie their sites to dispatch. Memphis uses 6 ghz microwave to connect its sites.

You are not going to hear the car traffic unless you are within a few miles of the cars, because the dispatch channels are made up of simplex and half duplex channels.

I maintain the radio system for the Jackson District.

Status
Not open for further replies.