THP in Eastern Tennessee

Status
Not open for further replies.

brian

DB Administrator
Database Admin
I'll be making a trip soon along I-40 from the North Carolina border to Knoxville, and then from Knoxville to the Kentucky border on I-75.

I note that there is not much TACN coverage along the I-40 route other than the Newport/Cocke Co site and probably the Greentop Mountain site with marginal coverage in Sevier Co. Is it reasonable to assume that THP uses a combination of VHF conventional and TACN for communication in those areas? If VHF conventional is used, is it more likely to be Low-band or High-band? Are channels patched in any way between VHF and TACN in those areas?

I note that Campbell Co has three sites, including the Braden Mountain site that uses VHF-High frequencies. It appears VHF frequency use is somewhat common as I see other sites that use them. Is there anything special, or restricted/limited about the VHF sites vs those sites that use 700/800 frequencies? Are the subscriber radios used dual-band capable?

Thanks

KN4EHX

Premium Subscriber
I'll be making a trip soon along I-40 from the North Carolina border to Knoxville, and then from Knoxville to the Kentucky border on I-75.

I note that there is not much TACN coverage along the I-40 route other than the Newport/Cocke Co site and probably the Greentop Mountain site with marginal coverage in Sevier Co. Is it reasonable to assume that THP uses a combination of VHF conventional and TACN for communication in those areas? If VHF conventional is used, is it more likely to be Low-band or High-band? Are channels patched in any way between VHF and TACN in those areas?

I note that Campbell Co has three sites, including the Braden Mountain site that uses VHF-High frequencies. It appears VHF frequency use is somewhat common as I see other sites that use them. Is there anything special, or restricted/limited about the VHF sites vs those sites that use 700/800 frequencies? Are the subscriber radios used dual-band capable?

Thanks
You’ll want THP District 5 (Fall Branch) and District 1 (Knox). Both are dispatched from Knoxville under one roof. Coverage along the interstate is excellent. I’ll go out on a limb and say the majority of East Tennessee has very good coverage. I have to get way back in the hills and hollers before I start getting a red screen and the chirp for out of range on my radio. Actually TACN will work in places where my VHF and UHF analog will not work, but in the places where TACN won’t work VHF analog will work. In East Tennessee there is very little VHF TACN I’d say it is around 98% 7-800 MHz. We have very good coverage and as the system is continuously being improved upon I suspect it will only get better. For a statewide Phase II system it is really a model for others to follow considering the wild landscapes of Tennessee.

Likely to hear TEMA and several Knox County agencies who aren’t in the dark. Unfortunately KPD and KSO are all big E. University of Tennessee Lifestar is also very active - they have the cool kid pilot jive going whenever they talk.

KN4EHX

Premium Subscriber
The
VHF-Lo for TACN? That would be... interesting
The Harris XG-100M can do low band P25. One of these days 7-800 will no longer be fashionable and everyone will need low band again. Probably whenever there is a massive flop of a statewide system that isn’t TACN because I don’t want to be working if it ever does happen. That would be a bad day. California Highway Patrol has low band NXDN - I think - it could still be analog but I know Kenwood is making the radios for them.

surfacemount

Knox / Roane / Loudon counties, Tennessee
I have access to some of the unity's. Wonder what the data throughput looks like on lo band? With the push to RoLTE anyway, I don't see anyone streaming video over lo band, or telematics, or some of the other stuff I see the Big Picture people wanting out of the statewide system.
... In the summer, I wonder what digital tropo ducting might look like? I know I've had conversations on Sheriff's Lo Band with people out of state before, wonder how digital would fare?

Actually TACN will work in places where my VHF and UHF analog will not work,
That's interesting. It hasn't been my experience. Especially if you're talking mobile-tower and not hip-tower. But TACN is getting better, I agree. Wonder how loaded the system is getting?

KN4EHX

Premium Subscriber
I have access to some of the unity's. Wonder what the data throughput looks like on lo band? With the push to RoLTE anyway, I don't see anyone streaming video over lo band, or telematics, or some of the other stuff I see the Big Picture people wanting out of the statewide system.
... In the summer, I wonder what digital tropo ducting might look like? I know I've had conversations on Sheriff's Lo Band with people out of state before, wonder how digital would fare?

That's interesting. It hasn't been my experience. Especially if you're talking mobile-tower and not hip-tower. But TACN is getting better, I agree. Wonder how loaded the system is getting?
So far so good in my neck of the woods. I’ve not had any issues when hitting the go button. Our analog systems are long in the tooth and don’t provide the coverage we need; TACN seems to remedy that. Everyone else in my county is supposed to switch over in the very near future. We’re also adding a new site which will help improve coverage even more. Presently I’m able to more reliably use TACN inside buildings than analog although there is instances where absolutely nothing including cell will work. We went with all band APX NEXT with the ideal of using LTE where there isn’t TACN coverage. Personally, I’m a big fan of DVRS if your agency / department has the money for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.