THP Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

kg4ere

Premium Subscriber
Hello all,
I am confused as to how the THP radio system operates. Do they use VHF handhelds to talk to the car, which in turn puts the VHF over the Lo Band and visa versa? And when they are talking on the mobile in their car to dispatch are both sides of it on Lo Band? I live and work in Rutherford County and have the 42.360 frequency in my scanner. I am able to listen to half of the conversation. I am needing what frequency I need to listen to the other side of the conversation. I have searched through these forums and have not been able to find an answer. Any help would be appreciated very much.
Thanks!

jimg

Premium Subscriber
Hello all,
I am confused as to how the THP radio system operates. Do they use VHF handhelds to talk to the car, which in turn puts the VHF over the Lo Band and visa versa? And when they are talking on the mobile in their car to dispatch are both sides of it on Lo Band? I live and work in Rutherford County and have the 42.360 frequency in my scanner. I am able to listen to half of the conversation. I am needing what frequency I need to listen to the other side of the conversation. I have searched through these forums and have not been able to find an answer. Any help would be appreciated very much.
Thanks!

The THP cars for years used to go through a repeater (or link) in Murfreesboro on 452.275 mhz to talk back to the post in Nashville, but last year they evidently stopped using that frequency, and possibly switched to microwave, which, I understand cannot be monitored on a scanner. The bottom line is, unless you are close to the car, which also transmits on 42.36 mhz, you will only hear the post (base) station in Nashville. They do use a mobile repeater, which they call a RatPak, which transmits on 154.905 mhz, but, again, you have to be close to the cars to hear it. Other VHF frequencies, as shown in the database are 154.77, (THP helicopter), 154.475, 154.680 and 159.090 mhz.

W4EMS

Premium Subscriber
Also try 42.56, 45.700. The latter is a lo-band repeater they use infrequently.
I also plug in 42.26. It is sometimes used for talk back and car to car.

Bottom line with most scanners you have to be within about 1/2 mile of the mobile to hear them.

jimg

Premium Subscriber
Also try 42.56, 45.700. The latter is a lo-band repeater they use infrequently.
I also plug in 42.26. It is sometimes used for talk back and car to car.

Bottom line with most scanners you have to be within about 1/2 mile of the mobile to hear them.

Also, I forgot to mention in my post that they also use 45.66 mhz in Rutherford County, which is a mobile tto mobile and base repeater.

kg4ere

Premium Subscriber
Thanks everyone so much for the info. I am going to plug these in today and see if I have any luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.