THP Requesting 3 year delay to Narrowband

Status
Not open for further replies.

ButchGone

Interesting how they are calling "narrowbanding" the move to 700/800 Mhz. The FCC's narrow banding mandate only matters for frequencies 520Mhz and less. Maybe they will narrow band their VHF hi band repeaters? I can't imagine why they would want to upgrade the VHF lo band stuff, seeing how there's only one company that makes lo band base stations. Remember, the FCC mandate for narrow banding has nothing to do with going digital.
BG..

RadioCopFFFR

I think that they are referring to the VHF Hi Band channels. I believe they will be abandoning the Lowband channels when they go to the trunked system. I don't think they will be able to fulfill the backbone requirements to provide ample coverage. I believe there will be some holes in the coverage areas. I have heard the will be encrypted full time for THP talkgroups.

W4EMS

Premium Subscriber
Lot of encryption rumors. We will know when they go live. They do a majority of their traffic by MDT now so I would not expect that to change.

davewhall29

Premium Subscriber
The following was quoted on another topic on this board in regards to encrypting for THP

As it stands there will be no encryption on the dispatch channels. Only CID other SOG’s will use encryption on a full time basis. The system “THP TROOPNET” will be built out in segments started in the east and the Chattanooga area to follow that. The next corridor will have towers located along I-24 from Murfreesboro to the Nashville Area. The Metro Nashville system is going too built out like we did with the TVRCS. All agencies with the Department of Safety will use this system and of course we will have a link for TEMA.
Roberts
Region 39 Advisor

W4EMS

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for bringing this over. I haven't had time to look for it but it gives a nice, quick summary.

EZlistener

Premium Subscriber
I originally posted this information on 12 January, but RadioCop apparently saw the need to start another thread. I expect this request is for the VHF high band system, as low band is not subject to narrowbanding. The VHF net is used for vehicular repeater and portables. I understand the request, but a bit amused as the deadline was announced over ten years ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.