THP to join TVRCS P25system

Status
Not open for further replies.

ButchGone

This is today's press release from TN Dept. of Safety.
BG..

TENNESSEE DEPARTMENT OF SAFETY & HOMELAND SECURITY
INKS DEAL WITH MOTOROLA SOLUTIONS, INC.
NASHVILLE --- Tennessee Department of Safety and Homeland Security Commissioner Bill Gibbons and Tennessee Highway Patrol Colonel Tract Trott today announced an agreement with Motorola Solutions, Inc., to begin implementing the first phase of a statewide radio system that will enhance the efficiency, safety and service of troopers across the state. The department secured $39.2 million dollars from the Tennessee General Assembly for phase I of the project, which will be utilized for radio upgrades in the THP Chattanooga, Fall Branch and Knoxville districts.
“We look forward to working with Motorola in replacing our aging and outdated radio system,” Department of Safety and Homeland Security Commissioner Bill Gibbons said. “The implementation of this advanced, statewide interoperable communication system is a top priority in securing our state. It will ensure better communications among public safety agencies in Tennessee and with agencies in surrounding states.”
Replacing a structure more than 30 years old, the new radio system will provide commonality between THP’s system and the bordering states of Kentucky, Arkansas, Georgia, North Carolina, South Carolina and Virginia. It will also offer new safety enhancements for State Troopers, such as Emergency Man-Down notification and Global Positioning Satellite (GPS) capabilities, along with improved coverage and the latest in interoperable radio capabilities.
“The lack of an adequate and reliable communication system has been an issue for our agency for decades,” THP Colonel Tracy Trott said. “We were unable to share vital voice or data information via radio with our neighboring jurisdictions in daily operations or emergency response situations. The new system will enhance the ability of troopers to perform critical duties across the state.”
Reusing antenna sites and equipment in existing Motorola Project 25 systems operated by the Tennessee Department of Correction (TDOC) and the Tennessee Valley Regional Communications System (TVRS) will eliminate the requirement to build duplicate systems.**
The new system will also improve communications interoperability between the Highway Patrol and similar Motorola radio systems operated by Tennessee cities, including Nashville, Chattanooga, Knoxville, Memphis, Jackson, and Franklin, as well as surrounding states of North Carolina, Georgia, Mississippi, Arkansas, Missouri, and Virginia.
The Tennessee Department of Safety’s (Tennessee Department of Safety & Homeland Security) mission is to ensure the safety and general welfare of the public.* The department encompasses the Tennessee Highway Patrol, Office of Homeland Security and Driver License Services. General areas of responsibility include law enforcement, safety education, motorist services and terrorism prevention.**

BeerNutz

Premium Subscriber
The analog, trunked 800MHz system for Knoxville/Knox county comes in loud and clear for me.

Any complaints from KPD, KCSO, KFD or EMS?

As it stands there will be no encryption on the dispatch channels. Only CID other SOG’s will use encryption on a full time basis. The system “THP TROOPNET” will be built out in segments started in the east and the Chattanooga area to follow that. The next corridor will have towers located along I-24 from Murfreesboro to the Nashville Area. The Metro Nashville system is going too built out like we did with the TVRCS. All agencies with the Department of Safety will use this system and of course we will have a link for TEMA.
Roberts
Region 39 Advisor

jimg

Premium Subscriber
as it stands there will be no encryption on the dispatch channels. Only cid other sog’s will use encryption on a full time basis. The system “thp troopnet” will be built out in segments started in the east and the chattanooga area to follow that. The next corridor will have towers located along i-24 from murfreesboro to the nashville area. The metro nashville system is going too built out like we did with the tvrcs. All agencies with the department of safety will use this system and of course we will have a link for tema.
Roberts
region 39 advisor

thanks for the update!

codeplug

Member, Disabled Veteran, US Army
Does anyone have any info on this Freq. Near Murfreesboro / Nashville, TN. area
Freq: 769.181250
RFSS Site Name County
1 (1) 022 (16) Murfreesboro Rutherford

This freq. is listed on the RRDB for the 2A5 system but it has no FCC license info listed
The last time I was there I verified this freq. as an active control channel and it
is transmitting a digital signal of System ID 2A5 & Tower ID T0116, Zone 1, Tower 16
This freq. appears to be part of the TVRTS 2A5 system
I cannot find any current FCC license on this freq.
Is this a temporary unlicensed freq. for testing or what?
How are they getting the signals from Nashville, TN. on the TEMA site 027 (1B)
to the TVRTS 2A5 system?
I assume microwave signals but I didn’t think those signals could travel
that far from Chattanooga, TN. to Nashville, TN. without a microwave site to beam the
signal from that site back into the 2A5 system somewhere along I-24.
I figured that a microwave site would have to be on MT. Eagle to pick up the signal and carry it back to Chattanooga.
That’s quite a distance between Nashville, TN. & Chattanooga, TN. without something
in between on I-24 to pick up the signal, especially with Mt. Eagle in the way.

W4EMS

Premium Subscriber
This is the control channel for the TVRS system based in the boro on which MTSU has migrated. Getting signals between sites is possible in many ways including microwave and hardline/fiberoptics as well as some 700 MHz links, the latter based on some feedback from east TN. The interconnections are well beyond a simple email. Many microprocessors for sure.

I doubt it is temporary given that MTSU has switched over. As for FCC license I cannot advise.

I think you asking how you can hear the different agencies on the MTSU system. It’s quite simple we use a switch with a T1 line to tie it in. We will be doing the same with all state sites. To answer the question when will Chattanooga DOS go on line? The schedule show testing to be complete around October 2012.
Roberts
Region 39 Advisor

jfhtm350

They are gonna have to install at least one tower for them to go to TVRS, because I cannot pick up the TVRS here at all. Not even control channel noise. So I immagine there are alot more places like that. That is going to cost TN alot of money. I guess if the governor can have his beer cave then THP can have a new radio system.

Their system may be old but it still works fine dont it? If they cant get a signal somewhere then they just switch over to low band or another channel. They would be better off letting some of these counties fix the roads around here with that money.

jimg

Premium Subscriber
I think you asking how you can hear the different agencies on the MTSU system. It’s quite simple we use a switch with a T1 line to tie it in. We will be doing the same with all state sites. To answer the question when will Chattanooga DOS go on line? The schedule show testing to be complete around October 2012.
Roberts
Region 39 Advisor

Would you please explain how a car in East TN can talk to TEMA in Nashville when it appears that there are no towers past Rutherford Co. going east on I-24 until you get to the Chattanooga area?

W4EMS

Premium Subscriber
Think of it as VoIP. Vonage or Skype with a trunking system built in. One of the radio techs provided a good explanation in this forum so look for it.
They have used hardline, RF and microwave connections for years to connect towers across the region especially THP and TEMA. That's how they could talk to SEOC from Knoxville or Jackson using VHF and the TMAC frequencies.
Using similar but more secure links they have connected the TVRS. Requires a bit more computer to do the linking but easily done with the backbone Motorola has today. In fact a Trooper in Memphis could call another Trooper in East TN over the radio once it is fully operational.
What is really cool is the potential to turn on a Trooper's dashcam and monitor a pursuit remotely or send live video back to SEOC for damage and risk mitigation purposes.

A similar system is the Ohio MARC. Might go to their wiki and forums.

Gatorman

39 Million Dollars

Do you ever wonder, with the state our economy is in, how they can justify spending 39 million dollars on a radio system that will primarily benefit Motorola stockholders? If you look at the typical activity of a THP post and the number of vehicles they have on the road, what is the point? What am I missing here. I thought we were supposed to be tightening our belts. This sounds like a boondoggle to me. Even if you include the rest of the state agencies, it still doesn't hold water. As a TN taxpayer, I'm offended.

W4EMS

Premium Subscriber
They also provide opportunity for county and local agencies to join in which helps defray the costs of ongoing ops and saves them a lot of start up costs that would also be passed on to you.The system will also provide much greater interoperability either directly or through gateways along with improved data streams. My only beef is that they should have done this ten years ago. The current system is antiquated.

One argument I have not heard is why they did not consolidate all of the VHF -High resources into a VHF trunking system. When you look at the combined radios that THP, TDOT, TWRA and Parks have that to me made more sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.