THP Whistler TRX2 Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

anelson5004

I just recently purchased a whistler TRX2 scanner, and was wanting to know if someone could provide me some assistance in programming THP. I downloaded the THP from the EZ Scan Software, and I am not receiving them. I am 1 hour and 15 minutes from Bristol VA, and I can receive Bristol VA PD with no problem. I have all my settings as default.

thanks
anelson5004

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Premium Subscriber
That is not actual range guys. That is the estimated coverage the only way we can display for the site. For actual coverage, you will need to do your own Google Earth set up, and calculate the antenna broadcast height above terrain, and sea level, factor in effective radiating output power, and then check if the site is directional, or omni. Some sites are highly directional, and currently we do not have rectangular, or hex, or ovoid boxing to represent that, all we have is circles right now. We did an Google Earth mapping for AWIN, LWIN, and MSWIN a short while back and I can not remember the url for that set of maps we did that show almost exactly the actual coverage maps that Motorola, FCC, and the State Agencies have.

On most 700/800 MHz sites at 100 to 110 watts of output, at say 300 - 400 AGL, depending on terrain, you have near perfect coverage at the 17 - 25 mile range. Pretty good coverage at 28 - 30 mile range, and can still get hits at around 35 miles. Again this is also dependant on terrain, weather, the type of radio your using to receive and or transmit etc..... Out on say flat or barely hilly areas, that can go further, with excellent coverage at 30 + miles! While in mountains you may get blocked out after 20 miles tops, or may have coverage on one side out to 30 miles, and only 10 miles on the other side.

Last edited by a moderator:

DonnieDog

Database Admin Deluxe
Database Admin
Anelson you may be too far out. Can you pick up any traffic down here in tennessee from the Bays Mountain or Holston Mountain sites?

I have a few friends up that way. They can get most higher powered systems with their outdoor antennas.

Status
Not open for further replies.