Thumping Ticking Sound!

Status
Not open for further replies.

JamesLargen

Hello all, I have recently started a new feed. Since being approved and initial broadcast, I have been getting ticking, thumping and static sounds. I have tried several different pieces of equipment, Baofeng uv-5r & uv-b5, Kenwood tk 2170, and a bearcat 855 scanner. I figured It was the sound card on the pc, but happens on all 3 computers! The strange thing is when I press a key on the unit while broadcasting it will come through on the archive CLEARLY!! But anything else is static with the thumping bumping and ticking sound. Would anybody happen to know what could be the issue?

thinder

Feed Provider
Thumping

Hi James,by chance is your wireless router near your broadcasting scanner,if so turn off your wireless to see if the noise stops. Hope that helps, Tim.....

JamesLargen

In fact I did, that did not change anything.... :-( I am really lost on this issue, thought I would try to help some people out in this area because it seems to be a hot topic among the local ems/fire volunteers. But this issue is just weird!

talkpair

It looks like the audio is way too hot.

Try to use the Line Input jack instead of the Microphone input jack.
Adjust the volume on the radio itself.
Adjust your mixer settings to minimum and adjust upward if necessary.

Here's what one transmission on your feed looks like when viewed using Audacity.

If you have Audacity on your computer, you can hit the record button and observe the changes as you make them......Use NOAA as a test signal. The average peaks should be around .7 and never hit top/bottom scale.

Last edited:

JamesLargen

Guys thank you so much for the help that you gave. I still have no solution to what was causing the issue, but it has resolved itself only on the bearcat scanner. It was a very odd situation, but I have found some info about another guy having the same issue, seems that the audio from the left ch hold the radio transmissions and the right ch was causing the thumping ticking noise.

Status
Not open for further replies.