Thunder over Michigan 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

drdispatch

What's the frequency, Kenneth?
Premium Subscriber
One thing for sure on the net and on this website the Victor freqs have been all named victor 1,2,3 at all different times.
These are ones that have been labeled all different victors Ive come across,
139.225 139.8 140.7 141.075 141.175

What does everyone have as those labeled as? I guess the main thing is they are in the radios, but always looking for the best and most accurate descriptions! Darn those alpha tags! hehe
I wonder if their comm techs "shuffle" the frequencies every year to shake things up for the likes of us.

kc8dhx

Premium Subscriber
139.8 was the main freq they used for today's show they did use a uhf milair freq but I forgot to take note as I was laughing at the way the number 6 pilot coordinates his maneuvers. Lots of good things to listen to. They used the air boss freq for most of the show 118.175

Xray

Yeah, these guys sure chatter and ham it up alot more than the Blues ... I didn't note any particular freqs either

Ronaldski

MI DB Admin
Database Admin
Came on to a great viewing area on Ecorse service Drive between Denton and the large hangar. Other than the ground battle got to see everything. Trees well behind us, but not hardly a factor.
Several hundred people there. Was able to entertain several others with the radios.
A few others had em and I told em the freqs to use, but were the older ones that couldn't switch to AM modes for the T-birds.

I have one airshow quick key and I put all airshow freqs there so the 143.0 I show belongs to the blues actually. 143.000 willow run/selfridge possibly as well?
I picked it up in Cleveland two years ago as well.
http://forums.radioreference.com/federal-monitoring-forum/248264-143-000-cleveland-oh.html

143.0 was encrypted, NAC A1E

Only other airshow related I heard -
413.275 PL 67.0

ve3zo

It was an excellent show..not just the Tbirds but the whole show..can't wait until selfridge. I'm sure I will be here sharing freqs with all of you...

Xray

I was off Denton too, came pretty late about 2pm as I had to attend a party, luckily my nephew saved a spot for me.
Bird show was better SAT they flew it differently and didn't make as many passes over the off base crowd ,,, Also strange to see them taking off single file, never seen them do that before, they didn't FRI or SAT. Must have had something to do with operating with close or at minimum runway requirements with the main one closed down.

Hung out quite a while for takeoffs and had quite an odyssey. Wouldn't do any good to just stay where I was, got to get under them. Old factory entrance was barricaded so I turned back around illegally, and the Ecorse entrance was blocked.
So I went up to Michigan and came back down Denton and sat there for awhile, frustrated as aircraft were leaving far away from where I was. Got back on the freeway and just pulled off to the side, a couple Texans flew right over but I couldn't stand just sitting there on the freeway so I went up another exit and this took me on the airport service drive.
Found a spot where the Hueys were flying and sat there for a while then calculated if I could get up just a bit further I'd be on the flightpath. Road was blocked, was told I could either turn around or just go through the airfield and leave with the rest of the show traffic.
I turned back around and found a decent spot by an abandoned factory and watched the B-24 land right over me.
Security bounced me from there, saying the decrepit, weed and litter filled parking lot was private property. So I said screw this, I finally found a way back to 94 and started to head for home and came upon Rawsonville.
This used to be the spot of choice back in the day, haven't been that way for years so I figured I'd give it a try, and that was the spot to be. Saw quite a few nice takeoffs, was there up till 7pm and the Tbirds never did take off, probably in the morning.

Look forward to Selfridge, you know my spot there don't you Ski ?

pbryan

I live a few miles south of YIP, in years past there has been a lot of activity over my house, this year it seemed to be shifted a little further north, I assume that had most to do with the runway closures this year... I used to also get a lot of traffic on Friday and and during the show for planes landing on rwy 32.

The t-birds flew their "high" show on Sat. and the "low" show on Sun... I guess there was too much cloud cover on Sunday... They had a discussion with the Air Boss around 2:15'ish about the ceiling, he indicated 6500 Broken.

Probably around 5-5:30pm, T-bird 8 got a clearance to Atlantic City (ACY) and left on 23R (I think). I could hear him take off but never saw him. Kept the radio on until almost 8 and never heard the other 7 t-birds leave.

Looks like they have an odd week this week with a Wednesday show in ACY. Maybe they are staying the night here and heading straight to ACY instead of heading home (which I assume they usually do when they have a week between shows).

--Paul

Xray

True, I heard the clearance for Tbird 8 while I was sitting on the freeway ,,, Didn't see or hear him, probably due to traffic noise.

pbryan

Heard a small jet scream by this morning around 9:15'ish AM. Turned on the scanner and sure enough T-birds were chattering on one of their channels... Last transmission I could make out was "turning a little right" at about 9:30. So I guess they left a little after 9 AM...

Status
Not open for further replies.